• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachMac

Beach Lover
Oct 3, 2008
We are not familiar with the school system here as we don't have children, so it was surprising to drive past Bay Elementary (up 395/Pt. Washington) and see so many new classroom trailers outside. I'm shocked really, in a county that is rich in tourism, that we are educating our county's youth in multiple trailers instead of a proper physical expansion of the school.

Does anyone know if these trailers are temporary and/or what the plan is going forward? Is this something that could be addressed by incorporation by creating a city school system instead of county?

Last edited:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
We are not familiar with the school system here as we don't have children, so it was surprising to drive past Bay Elementary (up 395/Pt. Washington) and see so many new classroom trailers outside. I'm shocked really, in a county that is rich in tourism, that we are educating our county's young in multiple trailers instead of a proper physical expansion of the school.

Does anyone know if these trailers are temporary and/or what the plan is going forward? Is this something that could be addressed by incorporation by creating a city school system instead of county?
I would venture a guess that they are temporary as it is difficult to keep up with growth. As for incorporation I am not sure the Walton County School Board would give up the tax base.

sunny850

Beach Lover
Jul 16, 2012
While portables are sometimes used for only a year or two while buildings are being built, others are pretty permanent. Maude Saunders elementary in defuniak (a walton county school) has had 8 portables in constant use for over 25 years. Not something you would know unless you visit the school as they are hidden by the building.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
As a kid I remember when they placed double wide trailer classrooms at our elementary school. I spent most of my 6th grade in that trailer.

We loved it! We were envied by the kids that were in the brick classrooms.

Aug 3, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Trailers are certainly not ideal for a classroom but as long as there is a good teacher (and air conditioning!) I think the kids' learning won't suffer. But this is a good topic...we are going to need to build more schools and classrooms especially as the St. Joe Sector Plan is implemented and many more families move to the area.

Mr. Hudson is right, incorporation does nothing to the school system. It will always be a county system unless the state changes the law (or constitution? I'm not sure....)

graytonbeachguy

Beach Fanatic
Jun 14, 2008
LarsAtTheBeach: "As a kid I remember when they placed double wide trailer classrooms at our elementary school. I spent most of my 6th grade in that trailer.

We loved it! We were envied by the kids that were in the brick classrooms."

I know, right? The portables had air conditioning!