• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
30-A since before I could walk
Some areas could take a large step in the right direction and require recycling. Places like WaterColor/Watersound/Seacrest could all band together and thru the HOA's require recycling. I know Seacrest already has there staff go around and pull out and put away trash cans. Is this a futile idea? :dunno:

It would be a good start contacting the HOA's in the area! Do you have a directory of them? Maybe emails?

I will draft a letter and post it here for honest feedback and input. (Please note may not get to this for a couple days, of course if someone else wants to give it a go, it won't hurt my feelings. :roll:)

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Thanks for the idea. How would one get a hold of this information to begin with?

I'm a little out of my element with this, but willing to learn. :wave:
I think I posted somewhere on here that I seem to remember some of the landfill sales tax money went to the jail construction, or some such. I'm wondering what the total collection amounts to, and how the county spends it. I know the budget has "reserves" which is money earmarked for specific future expenditures, and maybe some of the money is hiding there :dunno:

If you can unravel it, you will inded be "savvy" :D

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB
Trailers are good, but tourists in rental units are not going to use them. Curbside is needed.

Residents who want to recycle, already do. Additional trailers would just make it more convenient for some.

If rentals are the problem, that is what we should address. Since the units have to be cleaned between renters anyway, it doesn?t seem like it would be a burden. Give the renters blue bags and instructions. Collect the recyclables (and drop them at the bins) when the unit is cleaned. If we are talking about mandatory recycling however, that?s another matter.

Furthur

Beach Lover
Jan 21, 2008
S.R.B.
Recycling is so feel good but economically such a looser that many places that were doing it, N.Y.C. for example, have stopped. It just cost more than the pay back. Do you really think your trash is worth $ 85 a year per house that it will cost to pick up. The county could spend that money better on something else IMO.

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
30-A since before I could walk
Residents who want to recycle, already do. Additional trailers would just make it more convenient for some.

If rentals are the problem, that is what we should address. Since the units have to be cleaned between renters anyway, it doesn?t seem like it would be a burden. Give the renters blue bags and instructions. Collect the recyclables (and drop them at the bins) when the unit is cleaned. If we are talking about mandatory recycling however, that?s another matter.

Thanks for the idea of getting house keeping involved! That is a wonderfully simple idea. :clap::clap: Are there any cleaning companies lurking that would consider adding this to their services?

I know that most places like Seaside have in-house cleaning, but don't think it would hurt for smaller companies to offer this as well. It might also make a little extra money for them! A win-win in my opinion.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Recycling is so feel good but economically such a looser that many places that were doing it, N.Y.C. for example, have stopped. It just cost more than the pay back. Do you really think your trash is worth $ 85 a year per house that it will cost to pick up. The county could spend that money better on something else IMO.

People complain about $85 a year for curbside recycling? Wow. :shock: Sounds like a bargain to me.

I think it is hard to assign a dollar amount to reducing the amount of garbage going into landfills.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
People complain about $85 a year for curbside recycling? Wow. :shock: Sounds like a bargain to me.

I think it is hard to assign a dollar amount to reducing the amount of garbage going into landfills.

How would they collect this? The reason we have the 1% sales tax in Walton County for landfill operations is more of a collection issue than anything else. When the thing went to a referendum it was defeated. The then sitting BCC did it anyway with a supermajority vote because something had to be done. Before we had this the county was serviced with dumpsters all over the place that the county picked up. And they were like many landfills, totally nasty. And many who did not want to drive just dumped it in the yard or around the corner.

I would think that there is still enough of a surplus in that fund to take care of this. Seems like every few months they are transferring out a few hundred thousand to do something else with.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
How would they collect this? The reason we have the 1% sales tax in Walton County for landfill operations is more of a collection issue than anything else. When the thing went to a referendum it was defeated. The then sitting BCC did it anyway with a supermajority vote because something had to be done. Before we had this the county was serviced with dumpsters all over the place that the county picked up. And they were like many landfills, totally nasty. And many who did not want to drive just dumped it in the yard or around the corner.

I would think that there is still enough of a surplus in that fund to take care of this. Seems like every few months they are transferring out a few hundred thousand to do something else with.

OK then! Let's find this surplus. We live in one of the most beautiful places anywhere, so it seems downright ignorant that we aren't a recycling community as a whole.

My original response to the $85/year recycling fee was based on shock- that a program was in place, and it only cost$85/year, and people complained.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
[/b]OK then! Let's find this surplus. We live in one of the most beautiful places anywhere, so it seems downright ignorant that we aren't a recycling community as a whole.

My original response to the $85/year recycling fee was based on shock- that a program was in place, and it only cost$85/year, and people complained.

Okay I asked. Will let you know what I find out.