• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

danna B

Beach Comber
May 6, 2008
mack bayou
wow...im so glad someone has time to disect forums. I find it amusing that anyone would take the time to go this deep off. My dog eats many things and the vet has approved it, stop googling, not everything is true!

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
I think I'll stick to the vets advice...thanks! Cronic googlers always think they are right.

I didn't google the harmful food list. It was sent to me by a friend who's dog ate something he shouldn't and got very sick. Ok, ask your vet if the foods listed are good for your dog. I would be curious to know what he/she says.

danna B

Beach Comber
May 6, 2008
mack bayou
LOL....I didnt say it neccesarily was or wasn't, I am finding this all amusing! I have a food list for my dog. Hes husky/sheperd and lives in Florida! He has to have nutrients provided in fats and vegetables to keep his skin healthy. But I have a Dr. tell me what that is, I dont google or listen to others. And as far as whoever went on an onion tangent, I simply stated what a dog I FOUND threw up, I did not feed it to him. Chill out. He was clerly a scrap fed dog as he would not eat the same food my dog had. I have kids and dogs, nobodys dead yet, I think were just fine thanks!

Last edited:

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
LOL....I didnt say it neccesarily was or wasn't, I am finding this all amusing! I have a food list for my dog. Hes husky/sheperd and lives in Florida! He has to have nutrients provided in fats and vegetables to keep his skin healthy. But I have a Dr. tell me what that is, I dont google or listen to others. And as far as whoever went on an onion tangent, I simply stated what a dog I FOUND threw up, I did not feed it to him. Chill out. He was clerly a scrap fed dog as he would not eat the same food my dog had. I have kids and dogs, nobodys dead yet, I think were just fine thanks!

Dana, I was only trying to be helpful and as far as a tangent, I have an almost $3,000 vet bill over a piece of freak'en bacon that every vet(4) told me was a big no-no, after the fact. In fact all of them said, NO HUMAN FOOD. This was vets advice and I was only giving another person a heads up so they wouldn't have to go through what I did, because I was not knowledgeable about the dangers of human foods to pets. I wish someone had warned me. But them again, I'm open to information and others input.

Last edited:

danna B

Beach Comber
May 6, 2008
mack bayou
I have lived in SoWal since I was 2, some people like to stay stuck in whats always worked for them, I like to change it up. After leaving for a few years, and coming back, I can say thats so even more. Dr.'s and vets in this area are stuck in another century. Sure the rule of thumb might be no human food, and I also have been in the seat with a few thousand dollar vet bill, but mine was due to spinal arthritis, which is very common in sheperds, almost every german sheperd/breed has it along with hip displaysia. Our vet in Tallahassee where my husband got the dog and he lived with the dog for 8 years, was a K-9 police vet in Miami-Dade county for almost 14 years. We feed our dog a rice/turkey/veggie mix with a fatty amino acid oil in it. The vet is the one who told us to do it. I cant imagine living my life every day and eating the same meal all day every day, sure maybe its healthy, but not much fun. So yes we spoil our pet, hes 70 lbs of fur with very thick undercoat. He cant even go outside until late afternoon. Now I also have 7 yr old twin sons, they like to feed him crap sometimes, and we get on to them, its not allowed. But to say that all vets say no human food at all just isn't so, maybe the ones here. Maybe they dont want to take the time to learn new things, or go out on a limb for you to try something new with your pet for your pet. I have never heard no human food ever. Just not certain things (ONIONS, GARLIC, BONES, ****TY DOG FOOD,DEAD THINGS, TRASH, SOME FISH). On another note, maybe Gators parents should read this, Im just fine with my animal the way I have been doing things, and under my vets supervision, his skin is great and his coat is nice and plush with no scratchies. This post is making me scared to take my dog to a vet around here. I have already sworn off the Doctors in SoWal, all of them.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I have lived in SoWal since I was 2, some people like to stay stuck in whats always worked for them, I like to change it up. After leaving for a few years, and coming back, I can say thats so even more. Dr.'s and vets in this area are stuck in another century. Sure the rule of thumb might be no human food, and I also have been in the seat with a few thousand dollar vet bill, but mine was due to spinal arthritis, which is very common in sheperds, almost every german sheperd/breed has it along with hip displaysia. Our vet in Tallahassee where my husband got the dog and he lived with the dog for 8 years, was a K-9 police vet in Miami-Dade county for almost 14 years. We feed our dog a rice/turkey/veggie mix with a fatty amino acid oil in it. The vet is the one who told us to do it. I cant imagine living my life every day and eating the same meal all day every day, sure maybe its healthy, but not much fun. So yes we spoil our pet, hes 70 lbs of fur with very thick undercoat. He cant even go outside until late afternoon. Now I also have 7 yr old twin sons, they like to feed him crap sometimes, and we get on to them, its not allowed. But to say that all vets say no human food at all just isn't so, maybe the ones here. Maybe they dont want to take the time to learn new things, or go out on a limb for you to try something new with your pet for your pet. I have never heard no human food ever. Just not certain things (ONIONS, GARLIC, BONES, ****TY DOG FOOD,DEAD THINGS, TRASH, SOME FISH). On another note, maybe Gators parents should read this, Im just fine with my animal the way I have been doing things, and under my vets supervision, his skin is great and his coat is nice and plush with no scratchies. This post is making me scared to take my dog to a vet around here. I have already sworn off the Doctors in SoWal, all of them.

Thank you for the well thought out and nice response. In the distant past I had vets telling me to put bacon grease and oil on my pets dry food for their coat so I was flabbergasted as well when they all looked at me like I had lost my mind for letting my dog have a piece of bacon. Shyann's pancreatic attack trigged her dormant spinal arthritis and a disk compression to flare up in a bad way(from throwing up). So the bacon triggered it and then she lost use of her back legs. The vets here said as a rule of thumb the only way to be safe was no people food. I had some that stressed it harder than others. Shyann is a border collie and her and her brother always got a piece of this or that off my plate for the last 10 years. But the vets told me as they age, much like humans, they become more and more intolerant to certain foods and fats. Shyann has almost fully recovered but will be on metcam the rest of her life, which may have its on side effects.

Now the flip side: What do you feed a dog with pancreatic inflammation? After only fluids for a while, you go to chicken and rice(yep people food) but low in fat and bland. She only went back on canned food a short while ago. Under your vets supervision you should feed what they advise and it sounds like you are getting great results.

I was shocked about the onions because my two used to get a stray onion ring every once in a while as well. I wasn't aware of any of this until just a few months ago myself. Oh and by the way:welcome: and :wave: