• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
I've long thought that a "beach recycle" facility is a great idea. People could drop off their stuff, too, along with the stuff that TDC tags and removes.

Put it at the welcome center, or a the old Seabar, or do several on 283, 395, etc. Don't hide it at the back of the county annex.Stick out a colorful sign. Make the smaller stuff "free for a donation". Make the bigger stuff 1/2 of Walmart prices, to make it attractive. Hand out simple, punchy info cards explaining the warning flags, dune lake care, sea turtles, and regulations about leaving stuff on the beach overnight.

And while you're at it, leave a county recycle trailer at the same location.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Encouraging people to donate their cheap plastic beach crap by dropping it off at the Cheap Beach Crap Boxes when they are done using it for the week, would also be good.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
I will be left on the beach all weekend with my stack of books. Do your worst--collect me, recycle me, throw me in the landfill. I no longer care.

jensieblue

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
on a lake in the woods
cigarette butts, plastic bags...

I hate the cigarette butts like acne on the beach and the plastic bags blowing over the sand. Every trip to the beach , since I'm unable to walk, I select a small patch of beach to clean of cigarette butts and pay my kids for all the plastic and other efluvia they collect. That way they have money for a snow cone after cleaning up our little part of the beach. I miss the old shoe cone vender in Grayton. Where is the closest snow cone now. My one year old likes to ride in my lap down the bike path on 30 A while older kids bike...Theey are learning a sense of obligation to the community...