• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Wuchie

Beach Lover
Apr 10, 2012
I am worried about our vacation plans the 3rd week of July. We've never been to Sowal, and it seems like the water conditions are looking pretty grim. Any thoughts?

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Just returned from Grayton beach for the week. My son and his wife were extremely sick (throwing up and diarrhea) on Thurs. nite. We thought that it was food poisoning. Couldn't figure out where it had come from though. On Friday, they were still at the cottage sick, my husband and I were on the beach when the Sheriff came by alerting everyone that the Animal Fecal Matter in the gulf was at very high levels and to stay out. My husband had swam on Wed. Well, he was sick, same symptoms, all the way back to Georgia today. He is in bed now horribly sick. Luckily, I always travel with Lomotal and Phengran. The Sheriff said that it was due to the heavy rains and was run-off. Western Lake was fine to swim in, he just said stay out of the Gulf. As I started speaking to people in Grayton, I found out many, many people are extremely ill from the same thing.
I find it odd that the lake is okay if the gulf is not. Anything washing into the gulf washes into the lakes too.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
There are many septic tanks all over the area, so it is unfair to blame just one subdivision.
Hopefully with the attention this is getting we can finally focus on the infrastructure problems that will just continue to get worse.

rj

Beach Comber
May 15, 2009
I have lived in SRB for over 15 years. In that time I have NEVER seen an advisory against beach water conditions. (the bay, well that is a different story.) The studies were negative for fecal coliform. So, it's not the septic situation, that's why the dune lakes are all good.
It is of no coincidence that this is happening during the first good storm since the spill. If anyone feels differently, I know who you are still getting checks from.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Dinner discussion tonight with engineer husband (who is Geek of Most Things)..anyway, there was so much rain in Pensacola and other communities west of here, so much bad run-off, plume moves down the coast maybe? Not out of the realm of possibility. Yes, we have old septic systems here, but it seems a bit of a stretch to say that they are causing the problem with a large body of water like the Gulf. The dune lakes are a bigger issue with the septic systems, and supposedly they are not having a water quality problem now. I can see the bigger city scenario a lot easier- maybe it is a storm related event from a couple of weeks ago. So let's step back and take a deep breath before everyone goes nuts and thinks all of 30A has failing septic systems contributing to a community-wide water quality problem.

The law of large numbers factor also may be in play. I am sure every week there are families here with a gastro virus- sometimes timing just sucks. They probably had a better chance of catching it anywhere but the Gulf, and I am also wondering why we have not heard of a big outbreak if the water is so bad that it is making people sick. Where is 30A Skunkape- he usually is on the pulse of stuff like this because he is on the front line medically.

But back to septic tanks- this is not a place for septic systems anywhere near the dune lakes, or any water, period. They need to be removed. Time to catch up with the modern days- right, Walton County?

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I have lived in SRB for over 15 years. In that time I have NEVER seen an advisory against beach water conditions. (the bay, well that is a different story.) The studies were negative for fecal coliform. So, it's not the septic situation, that's why the dune lakes are all good.
It is of no coincidence that this is happening during the first good storm since the spill. If anyone feels differently, I know who you are still getting checks from.
Bacteria from poop is not something we can blame on BP. Rain and flooding send a lot downstream.

reece

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2005
oh, i'm really sorry to hear about your family getting sick(especially while on vacation!). We have been coming to the area for 10 years and I never even gave a 2nd thought to the water quality while there(well, except when we came down right after the oil spill, which it was fine then too). is this something that has happened before? Were people taking it seriously when the sheriff drove the beach with a warning? Is this dangerous? I wonder about infections in addition to the gastro-illnesses.

on another note, i noticed on the DOH website that the water quality advisory was also issued as far away as Pensacola, so I am not sure that the septic tanks have anything to do with this particular problem(although, i'm sure they are a problem all their own!).

So, now, when I'm planning my next vacation to the beach(any beach I suppose), I have to check the water quality before I decide if my child can get in the gulf? That's depressing.

I'd love to know how others are dealing with this situation. Actually, I wish I didn't know about it(like most people who are at the beach right now! :)

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Areas west of us had a LOT of rain (like 20+ inches) a few weeks ago and serious flooding- definitely not something that happens a lot here. We have lived here 5 years and have not experienced a water health advisory either (although we did stay out of the water most of the summer after the BP spill).

As usual timing is everything, and I am sad that this water quality advisory happened during the busy tourist season (along with TS Debby- when it rains it pours). Remember that so many inland rivers, lakes, streams, and creeks are terribly dirty- and many are swimming, boating, and playing in them too. I am still stunned that people even touch a toe in the Ohio River, and thankfully there is an effort to clean up the waterways in the Louisville Parks system, but their water quality issues are bad every single day and have been for years. As populations increase, and the infrastructure does not keep up (in this case sewer systems/storm runoff, enforcing pollution rules on manufacturing and setting higher standards, and enforcing rules on individuals whose homes are contributing to the mess),we are going to see more and more of this. The Panhandle has a lot of people now- it all has to go somewhere. Even if you are not an enviro nut, you do have to agree that swimming in dirty water is really not cool- and you need to look at the reasons why it is dirty.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
I thought that the dune lake sampling/monitoring was done on a monthly basis (http://sowal.com/coastal-dune-lakes-of-south-walton-county) as opposed to weekly. The beach water quality tests are done weekly. If that's the case, it may be misleading to say the lakes are fine unless they've done extra testing on the lakes, which I doubt.

However, if you take a look at the historical beach sampling results this is definitely unusual. For example, for both Grayton and Eastern Lake there are only a couple of moderate results in the last six years. No poors.

Florida Healthy Beaches Program

If you look at the other reports from Bay to Escambia counties, this is a wider spread issue than Walton County.

Last edited: