• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
As a native of the area (now relocated and a second home owner) and one familiar with large master planning efforts, I read this book and found it a fairly accurate account of what can be expected of the St. Joe Company. (I remember them as a stinky paper mill company!) Their real estate holdings and experience will be good in that they have the pockets to do things right. Like Arvida, they also understand that the special character and natural amenities of the area must be protected in order to protect and enhance property values. A seasoned developer understands the importance of taking something off the table, but always leaving something on it. On the "down" side, they are a large and very politically influential corporation, so their mistakes will be big ones and their determination with local politicians will probably end up with the results they want, for better or for worse. The book touches on some such instances.

South Walton Beaches will explode when the new international airport at Panama City and freeway to Seagrove area are a reality. Property values will soar beyond belief, looking more like the Miami South Beach area and Southern California enclaves such as La Jolla, Newport Beach, and Santa Monica. Our home at Grayton would cost us 10 times its value today on a beach in CA, and the CA beaches are not nearly as hospitable as the South Walton beaches. I have seen some of the proformas and financial models prepared by companies eyeing the South Walton area with interest, and they are shocking. This will be good for some...enhanced property values, many new jobs for the area, and the ability to provide the significant new infrastructure that has been lacking over the past decade. However, life as we know it down there will be irrevocably changed.

It is so important to retain the local character as long as possible, including the folklore and the traditions of the area. This is one reason I'm so sad to see some of the Gulf front properties, particularly in Grayton and Blue Mountain, severely damaged. These are mostly the old families who have cared for the beaches for so many generations before they were discovered by others. We need these people as our compass and as part of our heritage. Please try to understand that their passion will sometimes transcend the science of beach erosion and storms; it is because some of them stand to lose far more than many of the relative newcomers, second home owners, and visitors can possibly imagine, however devoted the latter may be. They are fighting to save the memories of several generations of family life, as well as what is probably by far their greatest financial asset.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
P.S. I meant to include Seagrove among the beaches where many old families have homes, too. Lots of Florida and Alabama folks who have been there for generations.