• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Smiling JOe said:
Ruth's Chris Steak House is something I could handle over there. By the way, for those of you who haven't been around in the last month and a half, The Howard Group has cleared all of the land west of the Publix in Sandestin, and it looks like they are ready to begin some more building. The new hotels are still working toward completion. That area of Sandestin keeps getting closer. Has anyone heard any other names of businesses slated for the Howard Group's property in Sandestin?

On a related note:

I remember there was a plan to put an Albertson's anchored shopping center at the west corner where 30-A and US 98, but I can't remember if that deal fell through because Albertson's was scaling back or if it was a zoning problem on the Walton County side.

Anyone remember the details, and if that land parcel is still 'in play' for a larger development?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
beachmouse said:
On a related note:

I remember there was a plan to put an Albertson's anchored shopping center at the west corner where 30-A and US 98, but I can't remember if that deal fell through because Albertson's was scaling back or if it was a zoning problem on the Walton County side.

Anyone remember the details, and if that land parcel is still 'in play' for a larger development?

I don't recall the details, but Albertson's pulled out shortly after Publix decided to go in up the street. I do not think zoning was an issue.

I believe the last I heard was that a large apartment complex was slated to be built on the east part of that property.

hutch

Beach Lover
Have not been to the Ritz-Carlton at Reynolds Plantation, but being from Athens(DAWG) town I almost bought a lot there on the Lake. Being close to Atlanta and Augusta was a good move by them. The Ritz-Carlton is always booked during the Masters Golf Tournament. Never liked Lake Oconee. Good fishing lake, but is hot hot during the summer and stays muddy

Not sure if Ritz-Carlton would build in this area and have to compete with
Hilton and the other hotels in Sandestin.

Tommy Bahama Cafe is coming to new Sandestin area on 98.
Resturants are going to have service people to make it. Hard labor market.

pk305

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2005
Nashville & Seagrove
Heard the Ruth's Chris CEO on MSNBC yesterday & he stated that they would not be re-opening three locations affected by Katrina (not sure if all were in New Orleans, but at least one was). Instead, they will open new locations elsewhere....didn't catch exactly where...but I think he might have mentioned Orlando....not totally sure on that part.
Also, we've had the Tommy Bahama dining experience (Scottsdale) & it was certainly not worth even close to what we paid. At first it seemed fun but then it quickly seemed like a typical CHAIN and too plastic for us. The food was fair.
Did have a great bottle of wine though....that's hard to mess up!!
Speaking of food, we recently re-discovered Lake Place (THANKS to THIS SITE) and it was totally AWESOME!!! We are headed back this week and cannot wait to go there again!!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I'm trying to understand a Tommy Bahama restaurant. Do you have to wear TB clothing? Do you look like an ass if you don't? Do they sell clothing too? Are the servers better dressed than the diners? Aye yi yi....

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
jdarg said:
I'm trying to understand a Tommy Bahama restaurant. Do you have to wear TB clothing? Do you look like an ass if you don't? Do they sell clothing too? Are the servers better dressed than the diners? Aye yi yi....

I was thinking the same thing!!! I have seen that sign for years...didn't it say something like..."A Lifestyle Cafe"? What is that?

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
jdarg said:

The devil in me would want to go in there dressed a la Lily Pulitzer style--you know, lime green linen trousers, hot pink top, etc...a psychedelic beacon in the face of all those tasteful beiges and moss greens. :D

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Don't forget your pearls and a sweet grandma for the afternoon teas, Mermaid. Someone mentioned that RC would require a beachfront location, which is probably correct. They could become an operator of an existing hotel, if there were enough rooms. RC usually requires a large number of rooms, on the order of 250 to 400 and that may not be possible in South Walton on the Gulf. About four years ago, these firms had South Walton in their sights, to the extent of some having concept plans drawn up by architects for pro formas. I was in the offices of a prominent CA planning firm and saw such a plan, which really surprised me. Frankly, I'm rather surprised that none of them have moved forward so far. But I know that the accessibility and labor base issues are key for them. It's about a lot more than just them having deep pockets. Specific criteria must be met if any plans are to move forward.

Additionally, financing for new hotels is extremely flat and no upturn is in sight at this time. Financing is no longer to value; rather, it is for construction, which only pays about half the carrying costs. This means that the remainding half must come from private investors, thus the fractionalized ownership concept. Some smaller areas that do not want large hotels or chains have adopted "no timeshare" ordinances to prevent the hotels, because they know they can't be built without ownership sales to assist financing. Fractionalized ownership is a fancy term for timeshare, although "the boys" insist that the two are quite different. Same result. It's easier to sell a dog five times for $5 than to sell it once for $50. (That analogy applies more to timeshares than to 5-star properties, I concede.)

As a native to the area, I hope these things don't happen, frankly. Even one five star resort would pretty much complete the gentrification. I mean, does anyone know of a community that has only ONE golf course? As a property owner (and I guess, a real estate investor by extension), it would be a very, very positive thing for property values and area recognition. Example: Coastal area homes in Dana Point (Orange County), CA tripled in price after Ritz Carlton opened their hotel there and it is miles away from either San Diego or L.A. Beautiful beach, though.

I'm still going for the pickups, the oyster shell roads, the shrimp, and the boiled peanuts, myself. I look forward to becoming a "salt water woman" for several weeks out of every year, including reliving my childhood by walking the backstreets of Grayton in a pair of peeling flip-flops.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Donna said:
Don't forget your pearls and a sweet grandma for the afternoon teas, Mermaid. Someone mentioned that RC would require a beachfront location, which is probably correct. They could become an operator of an existing hotel, if there were enough rooms. RC usually requires a large number of rooms, on the order of 250 to 400 and that may not be possible in South Walton on the Gulf. About four years ago, these firms had South Walton in their sights, to the extent of some having concept plans drawn up by architects for pro formas. I was in the offices of a prominent CA planning firm and saw such a plan, which really surprised me. Frankly, I'm rather surprised that none of them have moved forward so far. But I know that the accessibility and labor base issues are key for them. It's about a lot more than just them having deep pockets. Specific criteria must be met if any plans are to move forward.

Additionally, financing for new hotels is extremely flat and no upturn is in sight at this time. Financing is no longer to value; rather, it is for construction, which only pays about half the carrying costs. This means that the remainding half must come from private investors, thus the fractionalized ownership concept. Some smaller areas that do not want large hotels or chains have adopted "no timeshare" ordinances to prevent the hotels, because they know they can't be built without ownership sales to assist financing. Fractionalized ownership is a fancy term for timeshare, although "the boys" insist that the two are quite different. Same result. It's easier to sell a dog five times for $5 than to sell it once for $50. (That analogy applies more to timeshares than to 5-star properties, I concede.)

As a native to the area, I hope these things don't happen, frankly. Even one five star resort would pretty much complete the gentrification. I mean, does anyone know of a community that has only ONE golf course? As a property owner (and I guess, a real estate investor by extension), it would be a very, very positive thing for property values and area recognition. Example: Coastal area homes in Dana Point (Orange County), CA tripled in price after Ritz Carlton opened their hotel there and it is miles away from either San Diego or L.A. Beautiful beach, though.

I'm still going for the pickups, the oyster shell roads, the shrimp, and the boiled peanuts, myself. I look forward to becoming a "salt water woman" for several weeks out of every year, including reliving my childhood by walking the backstreets of Grayton in a pair of peeling flip-flops.

Are you a chic cracker? JK...I know better!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Mermaid said:
The devil in me would want to go in there dressed a la Lily Pulitzer style--you know, lime green linen trousers, hot pink top, etc...a psychedelic beacon in the face of all those tasteful beiges and moss greens. :D

Awesome! The devil in me would be in jeans, t-shirt, and flops. I would make sure they were "nice" jeans though! But damn- I wish I had saved my Lilly- had tons in high school- I had the BEST golf skirt! And I don't play golf!