Roaming Yellow Lab

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Jdarg, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

If you are missing your INTACT male yellow lab that is wearing a collar but NO TAGS, you might look around the E. Point Washington Rd. area off Bay Drive. He is driving my dogs crazy.:angry:

I can't imagine why someone would have such a beautiful dog and let it run around without tags and WITH balls. Idiot.:bang: If I could keep another dog, I would haul him to the vet right now and get rid of those gonads and keep him myself. If this dog belongs to someone on the board, don't let me know who you are, please.

SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PETS- there is not ONE reason not to spay or neuter. We have enough puppies and kittens running around, not to mention the health issues associated with unaltered pets. DOGS AND CATS LIVE LONGER WHEN THEY ARE FIXED!

2. Rudyjohn

Rudyjohn SoWal Insider

I've always wondered why people don't have their pets fixed. In my neighborhood someone walks everyday the most beautiful, magnificent Vizsla. He's sleek, buff, but he has those god-awful balls on him. Just ruins his physique.

3. grace

grace Beach Fanatic

Did the lab make it home? Anyone spotted him lately? My big boy is going mad right now too. Might just be those darn coons.

4. Will B

Will B Moderator

My boy still has his boys only because we show him. They have to be intact. Of course, that's a miniscule subset.

The question everybody should ask every time a dog comes up missing is "what were they doing out loose in the first place?" Obviously, some are escape artists, but gee whiz, we don't even let ours walk to the car from our house off of a leash. One distraction and bye bye doggie. Of course, our dogs are our kids, but is it really worth the risk of losing one over something so preventable? :dunno:

5. aggieb

aggieb Beach Fanatic

Prevention is key. Electric Fence. Not the cheap one you install yourself, but the ones that are professionally installed. I swear by them. Our dogs have NEVER escaped. Now I hope I just didn't jinx it. Our dogs manlyhood has been robbed.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  6. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

I just wrote an extremely long post about my relatives and male (and for that matter, female) dogs, but I ended up clearing it. It's a don't-get-me-started topic.

Question: have you ever seen OMBs on a 18-year-old dog? It will make you want to grab a set of hedge clippers.

7. Will B

Will B Moderator

HA HA HA HA!!!!

Yes! Makes me wonder how they run without making their eyes water! LOL!

Fortunately, Max is just coming up on 7 , and he hasn't dropped so as my wife puts it his boys still look "stupendous!"

I gotta admit I'm pretty proud of the boy!

8. Diane4145

Diane4145 Beach Fanatic

OUCH!!!!!!!!:yikes: I took our tomcat to be fixed and he now has, a partial set! The vet says, that it:dunno: is scar tissue! Sure looks real, to me!:confused:Poor thing, he use to have the cutest little set of white, cotton balls!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  9. Romeosmydog

Romeosmydog Beach Fanatic

That sweet yellow lab came and visited us for a few days too. He must live on E. Mitchel because he followed me home from there one day about 6 months ago.

10. Diane4145

Diane4145 Beach Fanatic

Why wouldn't you have at least, taken the dog to the RUFF or other, shelter?:dunno: If he didn't seem friendly enough, that's understandable. Then, you could at least tell animal control about it and they would get it. But, if he/she was, then I would hope that someone would take my pet, to where I might look for it. His family might be frantic and if he were sheltered, he'd at least have food, water and safety!:cry:

11. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Wow, Romeo, we screwed up! We didn't stop everything we were doing to throw a strange, fully male dog into our car, with our kids, and drive it to a shelter. If I did this for every roaming dog in my neighborhood, I would be running a freaking taxi service. I know a few people who have suffered from some nasty bites and scratches trying to do this.

Diane, please don't tell people what they should or shouldn't do with stray animals. Spend your time instead educating owners about spaying/neutering, ID tags and microchips, and REAL fences.

12. Diane4145

Diane4145 Beach Fanatic

Originally Posted by Diane4145 [​IMG]
    Why wouldn't you have at least, taken the dog to the RUFF or other, shelter?:dunno: If he didn't seem friendly enough, that's understandable. Then, you could at least tell animal control about it and they would get it. But, if he/she was, then I would hope that someone would take my pet, to where I might look for it. His family might be frantic and if he were sheltered, he'd at least have food, water and safety!:cry:

13. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

How about everyone calmes down...

Now, lets focus on the education part...

Nothing like a dog fight over strays.

14. JoshMclean

JoshMclean Beach Fanatic

Finally, someone found my dog! Please let him go about his business, I'll swing by and pick him up after this hectic holiday season wraps up. Thanks!

15. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

The local shelter is not only a kill shelter, but it is in also in Chipley. And if the dog, handsome though he may be, is running around unneutered and no tags, my first thought would be that he probably doesn't have a current rabies vaccination, either.

I wouldn't be putting him in my car. And because the shelter would probably kill him in a couple of days, I probably wouldn't call animal control either.

16. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

I thought they just approved using Alaqua as a non-kill local shelter. :dunno:

Why do people get pets if they aren't going to take care of them? :angry:

17. Romeosmydog

Romeosmydog Beach Fanatic

He was/is the sweetest guy, but he wouldn't let me get too close to him. Also, I will not take ANY dog to the shelter...they put dog's down after like 72 hours. They are located like 50 miles from my house so I knew that the owner would not look for him there. I actually asked Mr. Romeo to post a "found" thread (I was not a SoWaller at the time), but he said the dog would go home on its own ~ and he did!! He was a beautiful boy and I actually didn't mind the visit.:wub:

18. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I tried a wooden fence, and the dog dug and climbed under it. I then tried blocking the holes with everthing from chicken wire to concrete. He then chewed through some of the fencing and escaped. I blocked the holes with more fencing and that worked for maybe a day. Then, I bought an electric fence with shock collar. I trained him on it. One day, I came home to find only one of the two dogs, and a shock collar with the shocking mechanism chewed into bits and pieces, lying on the front porch. I have no idea how, but he escaped from the shock collar, chewed it, chewed a new hole in the fence, and went frolicking down the street. He has a bird dog nose and is often on the hunt. He just needed a job. I now keep them inside and he hasn't escaped yet. However, he did eat a whole loaf of bread off the counter last week. :shock: He is silly and hungry, but is trying to lose weight.

19. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

I have used a regular electric fence with two of my dogs that were escape artists. It only took 1 time for one of them, and 2 times for the other to get zapped before they never even attempted to go near the fence again. Some people might think that is harsh, but the harsher reality would be to come home and find them hit by a car. So I decided because I wanted them around a long time that I would try the electric fence. It worked. SJ, you might consider this for your little wanderer. You would be surprised how well they work. There is no collar to chew off and the zap is a little bit stronger than the shock collar zap. Just thought I would pass this along.

20. aggieb

aggieb Beach Fanatic

:lol: We have been very pleased with our http://invisiblefence.com/. We have a 115-120 lb. chocolate lab who's on a continuous see-food diet, and a springer spaniel that would just love to be on the other side of the fence. We did some research on this and if we had dogs that we thought would have been hard to train then we would have considered a REAL fence. Of course you have the kiddos and the roaming dogs or animals that like to visit, but we usually are aware of that. However, we do not leave them out when we aren't home or overnight. As long as our dogs are in our yard not running astray, I'm ok with that. Seems to me some sowallers with roaming dogs could benefit from some type of fencing. REAL or INVISIBLE.
    or BOTH.
    oh yep Whiskey (the lab) loves any kind of food, he's eaten fudge, my friends homemade birthday cake that was cooling. ummmm socks he loves my footies. I usually recover those. As far as Bogie (the springer) he attempts to drinking my coffee.:whack:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007