• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Why wouldn't you have at least, taken the dog to the RUFF or other, shelter?:dunno: If he didn't seem friendly enough, that's understandable. Then, you could at least tell animal control about it and they would get it. But, if he/she was, then I would hope that someone would take my pet, to where I might look for it. His family might be frantic and if he were sheltered, he'd at least have food, water and safety!:cry:

Wow, Romeo, we screwed up! We didn't stop everything we were doing to throw a strange, fully male dog into our car, with our kids, and drive it to a shelter. If I did this for every roaming dog in my neighborhood, I would be running a freaking taxi service. I know a few people who have suffered from some nasty bites and scratches trying to do this.

Diane, please don't tell people what they should or shouldn't do with stray animals. Spend your time instead educating owners about spaying/neutering, ID tags and microchips, and REAL fences.

Diane4145

Beach Fanatic
Sep 3, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Originally Posted by Diane4145
Why wouldn't you have at least, taken the dog to the RUFF or other, shelter?:dunno: If he didn't seem friendly enough, that's understandable. Then, you could at least tell animal control about it and they would get it. But, if he/she was, then I would hope that someone would take my pet, to where I might look for it. His family might be frantic and if he were sheltered, he'd at least have food, water and safety!:cry:

Wow, Romeo, we screwed up! We didn't stop everything we were doing to throw a strange, fully male dog into our car, with our kids, and drive it to a shelter. If I did this for every roaming dog in my neighborhood, I would be running a freaking taxi service. I know a few people who have suffered from some nasty bites and scratches trying to do this.

Diane, please don't tell people what they should or shouldn't do with stray animals. Spend your time instead educating owners about spaying/neutering, ID tags and microchips, and REAL fences.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
How about everyone calmes down...

Now, lets focus on the education part...

Nothing like a dog fight over strays.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
The local shelter is not only a kill shelter, but it is in also in Chipley. And if the dog, handsome though he may be, is running around unneutered and no tags, my first thought would be that he probably doesn't have a current rabies vaccination, either.

I wouldn't be putting him in my car. And because the shelter would probably kill him in a couple of days, I probably wouldn't call animal control either.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I thought they just approved using Alaqua as a non-kill local shelter. :dunno:

Why do people get pets if they aren't going to take care of them? :angry:

Romeosmydog

Beach Fanatic
Nov 6, 2007
here

He was/is the sweetest guy, but he wouldn't let me get too close to him. Also, I will not take ANY dog to the shelter...they put dog's down after like 72 hours. They are located like 50 miles from my house so I knew that the owner would not look for him there. I actually asked Mr. Romeo to post a "found" thread (I was not a SoWaller at the time), but he said the dog would go home on its own ~ and he did!! He was a beautiful boy and I actually didn't mind the visit.:love:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Prevention is key. Electric Fence. Not the cheap one you install yourself, but the ones that are professionally installed. I swear by them. Our dogs have NEVER escaped. Now I hope I just didn't jinx it. Our dogs manlyhood has been robbed.
I tried a wooden fence, and the dog dug and climbed under it. I then tried blocking the holes with everthing from chicken wire to concrete. He then chewed through some of the fencing and escaped. I blocked the holes with more fencing and that worked for maybe a day. Then, I bought an electric fence with shock collar. I trained him on it. One day, I came home to find only one of the two dogs, and a shock collar with the shocking mechanism chewed into bits and pieces, lying on the front porch. I have no idea how, but he escaped from the shock collar, chewed it, chewed a new hole in the fence, and went frolicking down the street. He has a bird dog nose and is often on the hunt. He just needed a job. I now keep them inside and he hasn't escaped yet. However, he did eat a whole loaf of bread off the counter last week. :shock: He is silly and hungry, but is trying to lose weight.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
I have used a regular electric fence with two of my dogs that were escape artists. It only took 1 time for one of them, and 2 times for the other to get zapped before they never even attempted to go near the fence again. Some people might think that is harsh, but the harsher reality would be to come home and find them hit by a car. So I decided because I wanted them around a long time that I would try the electric fence. It worked. SJ, you might consider this for your little wanderer. You would be surprised how well they work. There is no collar to chew off and the zap is a little bit stronger than the shock collar zap. Just thought I would pass this along.

aggieb

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2007
ibx
I tried a wooden fence, and the dog dug and climbed under it. I then tried blocking the holes with everthing from chicken wire to concrete. He then chewed through some of the fencing and escaped. I blocked the holes with more fencing and that worked for maybe a day. Then, I bought an electric fence with shock collar. I trained him on it. One day, I came home to find only one of the two dogs, and a shock collar with the shocking mechanism chewed into bits and pieces, lying on the front porch. I have no idea how, but he escaped from the shock collar, chewed it, chewed a new hole in the fence, and went frolicking down the street. He has a bird dog nose and is often on the hunt. He just needed a job. I now keep them inside and he hasn't escaped yet. However, he did eat a whole loaf of bread off the counter last week. :shock: He is silly and hungry, but is trying to lose weight.
:lol: We have been very pleased with our http://invisiblefence.com/. We have a 115-120 lb. chocolate lab who's on a continuous see-food diet, and a springer spaniel that would just love to be on the other side of the fence. We did some research on this and if we had dogs that we thought would have been hard to train then we would have considered a REAL fence. Of course you have the kiddos and the roaming dogs or animals that like to visit, but we usually are aware of that. However, we do not leave them out when we aren't home or overnight. As long as our dogs are in our yard not running astray, I'm ok with that. Seems to me some sowallers with roaming dogs could benefit from some type of fencing. REAL or INVISIBLE.
or BOTH.
oh yep Whiskey (the lab) loves any kind of food, he's eaten fudge, my friends homemade birthday cake that was cooling. ummmm socks he loves my footies. I usually recover those. As far as Bogie (the springer) he attempts to drinking my coffee.:whack:

Last edited: