• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Philip_Atlanta

Beach Lover
Mar 1, 2005
www.rosemaryrental.com
Does anyone else feel the county should be responsible for their own beaches? Probably not if you're paying maintenance fees on the beach? :dunno: Does anyone else feel the county should have at least one public access on every Walton County Beach? Is Mexico Beach and Port St. Joe area like this as far as privatizing? Is the beach more laid back there? Is the beach just as beautifiul? Do the citzens have more of a "Share the Beach" Spirit? :dunno: Look at the examples we set for our children? :sosad: Take all you can while you can. :dunno:

I DO think the county should be responsible for the beach and the beach should be public to all.

Mexico Beach and PSJ are all public as far as I know, not many houses actually are directly on the beach. Oh and no those beaches in Mexico Beach and PSJ aren't as beautiful - Nothing beats SoWal beaches...

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I appreciate and understand Phillips point. However, I'd much rather see the effort and money going into having the county maintain the beaches for everyone to use. Privatization of beaches do not benefit the community. It really doesn't. Now, you have to spend even more money guarding it.

How do we change this trend toward private beaches??????????????:dunno:

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
I think what bothered me most about the article was the catty tone. It just seemed so pompous and tacky and just not my idea of 30-A. I always thought people came here to escape the exclusive resort atmosphere, to embrace a community. The whole "let's keep the Seacrest riff raff off our property" stand of the RB HOA is just totally repugnant to me and I think the idea of paying a security guard to check ID for people access the beach would make me feel like an elitist snob.

With that said, the other thing that really bothers me about this article is the short-sighted and selfish approach that RB owners, along with many beach front property owners throughout the county are taking to dealing with overcrowded beaches. That's really the crux of the problem, isn't it? The beaches that were nearly empty and always white and pristine five years ago are now crowded littered with drink box straws and cigarette butts. The problem is over-development, the fluid nature of the units per acre rule, the protection of the property rights of a few developers over the coastal environment -- and it's leading to too many people on the beach. Granted, the developer of Seacrest was allowed to develop way too many units for the amount of beach available. Unfortunately, that trend is allowed to continue. It has happened with the Naturewalk development, with the property near Beachrunner, the property at Redfish. Every time some developer wants to dump too many people on too little beach so that some interior acreage can be developed and sold with 'deeded beach access', a few neighbors of the beach human dump site will beg for support at the commissioners meeting. Each time, a few people who will be impacted directly show up and get involved. The developer wins. The process repeats itself over and over. The beach gets more and more crowded. People seek out less crowded accesses.

The beach access for Seacrest is so over-utilized, while the beaches around the county have begun to recover from the 2004-2005 hurricanes, the Seacrest beach is still narrow and the bluff red and barren. If people can't spread out a little, the beach will never recover. If people have no choice but to use the beach deeded beach access for their development, people will stop coming to Seacrest. That will hurt Rosemary Beach merchants. I would think RB owners would also hate to see Seacrest turn into a ghetto, as that would take away from the charm of their own 'town'.

I used to love Rosemary so much that a friend bought one of the original RB promotional booklets from 1995 on Ebay for me. That book says, "Come build a town with us." What a lovely idea...build a town. Be part of a community. Unfortunately, the RBHOA seems to have no sense of citizenship, of duty to make its community a better place. Instead, they seem to feel it's better to throw money at the problem, secure their own little narrow bit of property, and leave everyone else to fend for themselves as beach overcrowding becomes more and more of a problem. It's way easier to look out for your own interests than to get involved and make your community a better place. It's a lazy approach to fix the problem, and it ultimately won't work.

My question to RB homeowners is this -- do you want to build a town, or are you happy with a security patrolled enclave? Why did you choose SoWal over Destin or Marco Island in the first place?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I cant get over all these people trying to turn our once little easygoing community into the gated subdivision hell they left

Gated communities are just stupid and provide a false sense of security. Keep telling yourself noone can get in - except for anyone who has ever visited a friend there, made a delivery, done repair work, cleaned a house or done yardwork, shown a house, or been passing by when a malfunctioning gate sensor required a stranger to punch in the code to let people out. :roll:

The beaches should all be public and if you don't like other people near you, I believe the Unabomber's cabin is available for purchase. You can keep your pavillions and pools private as people built those instead of Mother Nature.

This is a sad story. One of the main concepts of a New Urbanist Development, such as Rosemary Beach, is to build a strong sense of community- where people move freely throughout the town amentities, including the beach. No fences, no gates to keep out the outsiders...

My initial response is emotional. I am sad to see Rosemary Beach become a town that forgets its roots so quickly.

This will certainly become a point of contention between the Merchants and homeowners of Rosemary Beach.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I DO think the county should be responsible for the beach and the beach should be public to all.

Mexico Beach and PSJ are all public as far as I know, not many houses actually are directly on the beach. Oh and no those beaches in Mexico Beach and PSJ aren't as beautiful - Nothing beats SoWal beaches...

Actually, there are privately-owned beaches in both Gulf and Franklin Counties, Bay, and all other counties in Florida. The difference is the attitude of those owners. ;-)

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005

Thanks Philip_Atlanta. You're :cool: dude! Isn't it also way :cool: the way some of the gulf front down there is open in some areas, where you can cruise and see the sunset. I :love: the nature coast area too but it's seems very remote. I don't know if Hubba could take it though. He grew up in NYC. :eek: No wonder I've become so vocal after 28 years. ;-)

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I am not vague at all when it comes to the point of public/private. I am wholeheartedly AGAINST the concept of private beach. And as browndog said, it goes completely against the grain of NUD. But the point I am trying to get across is that the HOAs of these communities that were elected after the development deals were done, seem to have no clue about those deals but yet feel the county (read:us) should maintain their amenities and beaches and also provide more space for public areas so they dont catch the fall out of wanting to keep the places they are private. Well, there is only SO MUCH sand out there. And when it has all been bought up and gated off, there is none left for the public areas. So, YES, those gated communities are the villain here and cant expect to not take the repercussions of keeping things the way they want them. I feel that if we pay we get to play, but these HOAs still feel the need to act all high and mighty while still professing that they have done nothing wrong. When in fact all the public areas are pretty much GONE due to them. And we cant expect for the county to come in and renourish/maintain the small 10ft wide areas around the public accesses without touching the subdivisions while they are at it. Until it is settled in I would venture to say the Supreme Court,cause you know they wont stop at the local level, the debates about it are senseless. The only way there will ever be resolution is for us to elect some officials that are not afraid to P.O. some of the people and stand firm in a decision without @$$ kissing the big money. Our county has a HUGE tax base now and I dont think they need to cater to the developers and abandon what few County beach accesses left.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
"One does not sell the land people walk on."

Crazy Horse, September 23, 1875