Ruth's Chris

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by Jdarg, Apr 21, 2006.

1. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

Forget what you know. You are eating Orlando food, whatever that is, when you patronize Ruth's Chris. Might as well go to Outback.:cuss:

2. Sheila

Sheila SoWal Insider

Snellville, GA., Seacrest/Seagrove as often as we
    It was a year ago. I think jdarg's walked off the butter or her butt. She's itty bitty. :roll::wub: I still :wub: her.

3. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
  4. Beach Runner

Gotcha. I didn't notice the date. DUH!

5. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

Yeah, let me put on my Paul Harvey hat and let you in on 'the rest of the story':
    In 2005 Hurricane Katrina devastated Greater New Orleans (see: Effect of Hurricane Katrina on New Orleans) and the chain moved its corporate headquarters to Orlando, Florida. No plans to return corporate offices to the New Orleans area have been announced. Like most business in the city, two of the chain's locations in the Greater New Orleans area were forced to close because of the storm.[9] Unlike most other famous restaurants in Mid City New Orleans, the New Orleans Ruth's Chris did not rebuild and reopen. The Metairie, Louisiana location has since reopened. Amid much criticism of local officials and media, and on the heel of Morton's steakhouse's announcement it would reopen its own New Orleans branch,[10] the corporate offices announced that the old flagship Ruth's Chris on Broad Street would be permanently closed and the company had no plans to reopen any other facilities in the city.

I can just see Ruth Fertel bobbing around inside her tomb in Metairie Cemetery while these dopes fled to the Magic Kingdom. Never again will I eat there...ever, ever, ever.:pissed:

6. Beach Runner

I did not know that. Thanks for filling me in on the rest of the story.

7. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

KOE is digging up so old, old threads....bless his heart!!!! ;-) He needs to come around more often. :cool:

So are you and I still :wub: you. :wave:

8. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

:blink: ...why do I feel like I am in the Twilight Zone???

9. Seabreeze

Seabreeze Beach Comber

30ASkunkApe, when did a company's right to make its own business decisions go by the wayside. Do you think maybe their relocation was based on solid business thinking -- or do you simply subscribe to the theory that NOLA is the center of the universe and anything that happens there that you don't like is wrong? Just curious...

10. John R

John R needs to get out more

i have never been inside a ruth's chris, so i am unable to comment on their food,service, etc. but like seabreeze stated, is it wrong for them to move the corporate offices of a national company to make sure they can still operate the rest of their chain while NOLA is/was incpable of llowing them to operate? and, after moving everything to orlando, they've probably dug themselves in pretty well. the expense of moving everything back would probably be quite high.

also, there was probably no resistance to from the staff to move away from NO when needed. I'm sure they would lose a good amount of staff if they tried to move back.

is there more rest of the story??

11. seacrestkristi

seacrestkristi Beach Fanatic

I :wub: Ruth's Chris for special occasions though I haven't been in a while. Ruth, herself, once told Hubbabubba at the opening of Baton Rouge location, around 1985, to get that cheese out of her kitchen. :blink: :cool:
    He gladly did and brought back what she wanted, only red wax coated extra aged cheddar, and sold to them for years. Very nice,quality folks and food. :cool: It was a new store and someone just ordered the wrong thang and he just got to meet her cuz it was new and she was there makin' sure it was all right. ;-)

12. drsvelte

drsvelte Beach Fanatic

Of course there's nothing "wrong" with Ruth's bolting NOLA. Its the manner and alacrity with which it was done following Katrina that leaves the bad taste. On the other hand, most everybody assumed that Mr. Benson would take the same opportunity to move the Saints to San Antonio. To his credit, he elected not to (OK, with some persuasion from the NFL), and aided the city's recovery and spirit in untold ways.

There are many good steak houses. In BR we have Flemings, Sullivan's and soon a Doe Eat Place. I can easily skip Ruth's. ;-)

13. Bob

Bob SoWal Insider

I hope RC figures a way back to New Orleans. It seems the company is making so much money, it forgot it's heart and soul. Sound familiar?

14. seacrestkristi

seacrestkristi Beach Fanatic

When did Ruth die? :wub: Has the food quality changed?
    We have Fleming's in Nashville too. That's where we went last special occasion. :wub: Very nice and delicious.

15. KY oyster eater

KY oyster eater Beach Lover

If you ever have the opportunity to go to a ''Sullivans'' I highly recommend this restaurant. I personally have never been to Ruth Chris' but several people who have eaten at both these places say Sullivans is nicer and tastier.

http://www.sullivansteakhouse.com/

16. KY oyster eater

KY oyster eater Beach Lover

This is the year 2005 ain't it? Dang, I slept through a few years......my bad. I'll try and stay more current. Especially since it won't be long now till we hit the beach in July....sorry....the Ohio River just ain't all that exciting.....KOE

17. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

While dinning at the one in Nashville, a young lady dinning with us asked the waiter if the fish was good............. the waiter's reply............ (I nearly peed myself) .................... "Ma'am, this is a steak restaurant" :floor: :floor: :floor: Nuff said :floor: :floor:

18. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

My supervisor ate at the new Fleming's at Grand Boulevard last weekend (not sure if fully open yet, it was a trial run or training night or something). He said it was awesome; absolutely delicious. I don't know what else they had or what they drank, but dinner for two was $125.00. He still said it was worth every penny.

19. yippie

yippie Beach Fanatic

The Destin Ruth's Chris has issues. It isn't nearly as good as other one's I have eaten at.

20. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

I really want to go to fleming's and check it out!!! :wave: