• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

luvthebeach57

Beach Lover
Feb 11, 2008
Columbia, MD
How do you know which parts of the beach are considered to be private? Do the owners have signs posted? Are there just a few overzealous homeowners who are doing this or is it a widespread problem?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
See attached map with my labels for beach accesses and parking. No boardwalks from Sanctuary at Redfish to the beach. You;d be crossing private property. Note the Google earth map isn't updated, and there is a whole lot of stuff which is new and not shown, regarding buildings.

Regarding the Private Beach Issue, this is new on us. We've been using the beach for countless years, and last year, a few people and developments began erecting signs, and hiring security. People were arrested for criminal trespass. If you want to read up on the topic, search the forums for "private beach."

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
If you are on "their dry sand" they can call the police and you can be handcuffed, removed from the beach and given a summons to appear in court (or you can pay the fine for tresspassing)--welcome to "Their Beaches of Walton County." If in doubt--just sit on the wet sand.

/sarcasm off

...and you can spend up to one year in jail and be fined up to $1000 for Criminal Trespass if found guilty. Or, you can hire a good lawyer and tell these people who are claiming the beach as their own, to SHOVE IT!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
luvthebeach, only a handful of developments have the signs posted, but many people have deeds showing that they own part of the beach. My take on it is that while they may posses a deed showing ownership of the beach, the rights associated with the beach portion of the property may be different than the upland portion. If you want to do some research, read up on the cases regarding private beaches. The only reason I pointed it out is that it is an issue that came up last year, and had people shaking their heads when the Sheriff's deputies told them that they had to put their towel in the wet sand if they wanted to stay on the beach.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
How do you know which parts of the beach are considered to be private? Do the owners have signs posted? Are there just a few overzealous homeowners who are doing this or is it a widespread problem?

One of life's most interesting moments is when you discover you have innocently touched someone's "hot button" without even trying.

"Overzealous homeowners" is far too charitable, if you ask me...

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
luvthebeach, the boat shuttle drops you off at the outflow to the Gulf, and you walk maybe 50 yards to the Gulf. Please stay off the dunes in that area. They are very fragile. The shuttle guy typically sets up some chairs and umbrellas for you, from what I've seen.

Thanks for the info. I don't understand why none of the rental agents seem to have this information. I guess no one has ever asked before. It's great to know that there are people on this message board who have some answers!

These are fairly new rentals and like anything new not all of the information is available or disseminated.

luvthebeach57

Beach Lover
Feb 11, 2008
Columbia, MD
Smiling Joe,

Thanks so much for taking the time to show the beach access points on the Google Earth image. This is exactly what I was looking for. I can't thank you enough!

Lisa

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
you R welcome. Please note that the parking at the 83 public access is very limited, only about 12-15 small spaces will be built, and they are often filled even in the off-season.