• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Unplugged

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2005
Unit 1113 is back on the market:

$699,000 plus $20,000 agent bonus w/ approved contract

(this is $225K below original preconstruction pricing for that floor plan)

luvthebeach57

Beach Lover
Feb 11, 2008
Columbia, MD
Hi! I'm new to the forum. After spending 3 weeks pouring over hundreds of choices of places to rent, I have decided the Sanctuary at Redfish is the place where we want to stay for our August vacation. It is a truly unique property with a great deal of privacy. I doubt it will be overrun by vacationers. I have only been able to locate 7 units that are available to rent. As far as I can tell, none of them have been booked for this summer yet.

The four pools and two hot tubs are gorgeous. I wouldn't be surprised if we practically have them all to ourselves.

The question that I'm asking each rental agent is "How do we get to the beach?" I've been told there is a boat shuttle, but I have no idea where it drops you off. No one seems to be able to answer this question. I've also been told we can drive to a nearby public beach access.

Can anyone answer this question for me?

:chill:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
luvthebeach, the boat shuttle drops you off at the outflow to the Gulf, and you walk maybe 50 yards to the Gulf. Please stay off the dunes in that area. They are very fragile. The shuttle guy typically sets up some chairs and umbrellas for you, from what I've seen. There is a canoe and some kayaks there at the dock, too, though I'm not sure if they belong to everyone or are privately owned. If you wanted to walk to the beach, you would walk west along 30A, then south on the first road after crossing the Lake, and there is a public access near the end of that street. Note that the Gulf front property owners on both sides of that public access recently filed claim to the actual beach. New restrooms are being constructed just a little beyond that first road at the public access at Hwy 83. There is also a showering station at that access. Parking is extremely limited, so if you have a bicycle or rent bikes, you can easily ride from Sanctuary at Redfish. There is a bike rack at the Hwy 83 access. From Sanctuary at RF, hwy 83 access is probably 4/10 of a mile at the most, maybe a 12 min walk.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
SJ, do the bathrooms mean there will soon be a lifeguard?

...not exactly. But if you see a drowning individual, walk over into the dry sand of the nearby private beaches and the owners will hit the speed-dial button to the Beach Gestapo.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
...not exactly. But if you see a drowning individual, walk over into the dry sand of the nearby private beaches and the owners will hit the speed-dial button to the Beach Gestapo.

Heck, if they are swimming in front of the private beaches, they are probably the owners, and there will be no one in the house to call for help. :shock: If they aren't the owners, maybe the survivor, or the victim's family could file suit against the owners in front of where the victim drown, claiming that if the beach was public, a lifeguard could be stationed there and the person wouldn't have drowned.

swgb, to my knowledge, the County cannot station a lifeguard on property being claimed as private, at least until the courts decide. In Sept 07, the Gulf Front property owners, to the east of 83 public access, recorded deeds stating that they owned the beach. I guess the interior lot owners haven't realized it yet, because they have not filed suit against them yet, claiming their own rights to it, due to abandonment for more than 20 years. If they did so and won, the general public would also stand an excellent chance of winning any trespass charges on that beach as well, because the evidence would show that the public has been using that beach forever.

luvthebeach57

Beach Lover
Feb 11, 2008
Columbia, MD
luvthebeach, the boat shuttle drops you off at the outflow to the Gulf, and you walk maybe 50 yards to the Gulf. Please stay off the dunes in that area. They are very fragile. The shuttle guy typically sets up some chairs and umbrellas for you, from what I've seen.

Thanks for the info. I don't understand why none of the rental agents seem to have this information. I guess no one has ever asked before. It's great to know that there are people on this message board who have some answers!

luvthebeach57

Beach Lover
Feb 11, 2008
Columbia, MD
If you wanted to walk to the beach, you would walk west along 30A, then south on the first road after crossing the Lake, and there is a public access near the end of that street. Note that the Gulf front property owners on both sides of that public access recently filed claim to the actual beach. New restrooms are being constructed just a little beyond that first road at the public access at Hwy 83. There is also a showering station at that access. Parking is extremely limited, so if you have a bicycle or rent bikes, you can easily ride from Sanctuary at Redfish. There is a bike rack at the Hwy 83 access. From Sanctuary at RF, hwy 83 access is probably 4/10 of a mile at the most, maybe a 12 min walk.

I'm looking at a satellite image from Google Earth. I follow 83 west to Blue Lake Rd and turn left there. Then do I follow Blue Lake Rd to the end? It looks like there is a path from the end of Blue Lake to the beach. Is this what you're talking about? I don't see any place to park there. There also seems to be a path leading to the beach at the end of Sea Grade Road (which comes off of Blue Lake Rd). It looks like there might be a few parking spaces there. There also seems to be a beach access at the end of Gulf Point Rd with some parking across the street. I do see that there is quite a bit of parking available at the access at the end of 83. It's about a half mile walk or bike ride to the Gulf Point Rd access according to Google Earth.

Do you know if they have some paths or boardwalks that go along the shore of Redfish Lake from the condos to the beach? That might actually be a more direct route.

I don't think riding bikes carrying 3 beach chairs, an umbrella and a cooler is going to be possible. It's also too far to walk lugging all that stuff in the August heat. We will probably either drive or take the boat shuttle.

I've gone to dozens of beaches all over the US, as well as Hawaii and the Caribbean. I've never heard of a "private beach." If we decided to set up our chairs on the sand in front of their house, we would be trespassing?? Of course, we're not going to walk into their yard.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I've gone to dozens of beaches all over the US, as well as Hawaii and the Caribbean. I've never heard of a "private beach." If we decided to set up our chairs on the sand in front of their house, we would be trespassing?? Of course, we're not going to walk into their yard.

If you are on "their dry sand" they can call the police and you can be handcuffed, removed from the beach and given a summons to appear in court (or you can pay the fine for tresspassing)--welcome to "Their Beaches of Walton County." If in doubt--just sit on the wet sand.

/sarcasm off