• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Is the WaterSound beach area where you will be staying private? Assuming yes, then aren't you being a bit hypocritical?

I don't think they have the issue of posting signs, arguing with people, etc. Since the community is gated you have quite a hike to get to said beaches. You would have to go thru Deer Lake State park or walk from around a mile East of Camp Creek Lake.

luvthebeach57

Beach Lover
Feb 11, 2008
Columbia, MD
Is the WaterSound beach area where you will be staying private? Assuming yes, then aren't you being a bit hypocritical?

No, I don't think I'm being hypocritical. I just want to be able to stay somewhere where I won't be kicked off the beach for trespassing! It makes no difference to me if "outsiders" use the beach near WaterSound. As I've mentioned before, I think the beaches should be for the use of EVERYONE.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
No, I don't think I'm being hypocritical. I just want to be able to stay somewhere where I won't be kicked off the beach for trespassing!
Then you are doing the right thing regarding finding the appropriate place to stay.

It makes no difference to me if "outsiders" use the beach near WaterSound. As I've mentioned before, I think the beaches should be for the use of EVERYONE.
I assume it makes no difference to you because you don't own the property.

luvthebeach57, I honestly only want you to enjoy your stay. I do not mean to be adversarial...only to point out the idea that there are always two sides to every issue.

WaterSound looks to be a beautiful area and probably is one of the best planned gulf front communities considering their setbacks and all.

luvthebeach57

Beach Lover
Feb 11, 2008
Columbia, MD
WaterSound looks to be a beautiful area and probably is one of the best planned gulf front communities considering their setbacks and all.

I agree with you. I've considered every single property between Destin and PCB over the past month. I think WaterSound has done a fantastic job of preserving the natural beauty of the area. I also like the fact that it's located between Camp Creek and Deer Lake. I think this area will be quiet and peaceful.

kimbug

Beach Lover
Apr 8, 2005
Northeast Ohio
Then you are doing the right thing regarding finding the appropriate place to stay.

I assume it makes no difference to you because you don't own the property.

luvthebeach57, I honestly only want you to enjoy your stay. I do not mean to be adversarial...only to point out the idea that there are always two sides to every issue.

So I guess I'd be doing the 'wrong' thing as a potential renter trusting the mgmt. co.? Arriving for vacation, I take the boat like I was told, set up my umbrella, then am asked to leave or move into the water. My point is I'm sure there are many vacationers who have never heard of this message board to find the truth. Heck, there are many owners/mgmt. co. who haven't. What if the vacationer simply did not know thru no fault of their own? Bam, now they're upset spending the week having to drive to a beach access.

While I do agree that there are 2 sides to every issue. The issue in question really relates to the mgmt. companies representing owners and the owners themselves being up front and honest with potential vacationers. It is pointless for me or anyone else who is simply looking for a nice place to stay at the beach while on vacation to see one side or the other in the private vs. public battle.

Your statement to luvthebeach57 about the situation making no difference to her because she doesn't own the property is somewhat offensive. I feel that it implies non-owners/vacationers don't care about the beach or other surroundings. Maybe many don't but you can find that kind of person everywhere beach or no beach. FYI...I cherish my visit to sowal, I read about the area and what is happening there frequently. I leave the beach as I found it and sometimes even better as I have picked up trash, etc...left behind by those who don't care. How do you know whether the slobs are owners, locals or whatever. I know that so many people who visit your beaches love and protect them. Just because we all can't own or live there does not mean we do not care.

I know it's a limitation of email and non-spoken communication to truly understand the of tone of the messages being presented, so if I have misunderstood you I apologize.

As for the public vs. private debate that is going on in sowal, I guess it was bound to happen like everywhere else. It just seems a little sad and greedy to take ownership of a natural resource, so no I really can't see that side. But as stated above, my opinion has no bearing since I don't reside at the beach.

As far as my situation...we placed a deposit on a unit at Sanctuary @ Redfish wanting the peace and tranquility it seemed to offer. We've been pretty crowded on the beach the past few summers. Until I started searching the posts here I had no idea there would be any issues. My problem now is, I'm having a difficult time finding a new place that suits or needs, family has already put in for vacation time, etc...so can't change dates. If I stay with our original plans, I have a conflict knowing that when I set up at the beach, I am trespassing. I do care about that. So as SHELLY stated earlier....SUCKS OUT LOUD! I am done whining about it as of today! We will make it work. Whatever the outcome!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Kimbug, I understand your reasoning for wanting to be upset with the rental mgt company or VRBO owners. I think one problem is that they just don't know. In most cases, the ownership of the beach has never been questioned, unless someone begins running people off and posting private property signs. The public has been using the beach to the east of the 83 Access for decades, so I can see how the rental companies wouldn't know anything about the issue, and it isn't based on them not trying to be aware of the issues of private beaches. Even if they do promote the use of the beach in their rental ads, the question of the public's right to sit on the beach portion of privately deeded land, is still unknown, until as BMBV says, "the Court's work it out."

I'm glad that BMBV does speak up for the private use of the beach, because it does show that the answer to the question is not a simple one when following the letter or intent of the laws regarding private property rights. I disagree with his take on it, but it is another's point of view.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
So I guess I'd be doing the 'wrong' thing as a potential renter trusting the mgmt. co.?

Like anything else in life....buyer beware. Some companies are more ethical than others - surprise!! I think you could trust the company if they state that you have beach rights "on the dry sandy portion of the beach". Remember that the term "beach access" by itself does not mean much of anything these days.

Your statement to luvthebeach57 about the situation making no difference to her because she doesn't own the property is somewhat offensive.
Sorry if it appeared that way; I can see your point. I guess I was just stating that since she was not a private property owner that she "didn't have a dog in that fight". I didn't mean anything more.

Just because we all can't own or live there does not mean we do not care..................I know it's a limitation of email and non-spoken communication to truly understand the of tone of the messages being presented, so if I have misunderstood you I apologize.

I hope I didn't give you the impression that I feel tourists in general "don't care". I fully believe that 99+% of the tourists that visit SoWal are great people!!

Regardless, trespassing is trespassing. It is a dangerous thing to pick and choose which laws we abide by and where.

As for the public vs. private debate that is going on in sowal, I guess it was bound to happen like everywhere else. It just seems a little sad and greedy to take ownership of a natural resource, so no I really can't see that side. But as stated above, my opinion has no bearing since I don't reside at the beach.
Ever heard of mineral rights? Isn't your home sitting on land that you own and would not that be considered a natural resource? Just making a point.

So as SHELLY stated earlier....SUCKS OUT LOUD! I am done whining about it as of today! We will make it work. Whatever the outcome!
There are plenty of places to stay in SoWal that have dedicated beaches assoicated with them. Where there is not, there are plenty of public beaches as well.

Keep in mind that one's opinion of private vs. public beaches normally goes along the line between who owns and does not own gulf-front property. I don't expect it any other way. That's why we have laws.