• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kimbug

Beach Lover
Apr 8, 2005
Northeast Ohio
I can appreciate what your saying, SJ and I don't want to waste my time being angry with anyone over the situation. It's my fault anyway for not checking the board first. Obviously, it's a new "problem" facing SoWal. I just feel a little duped just because I haven't heard back from anyone in the mgmt. co. since I asked them questions regarding the issue. When I made the rental inquiry, they were very quick in their responses.

Part of me just wants to keep with the plans we have and see how it shakes out. Maybe we'll set up on the beach and have no problems since everyone is saying there are no signs posted. If there are problems we'll go to the 83 public access. IDK...I'm getting a headache worrying about it. It doesn't help that I might be the most indecisive person on the planet!

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I can appreciate what your saying, SJ and I don't want to waste my time being angry with anyone over the situation. It's my fault anyway for not checking the board first. Obviously, it's a new "problem" facing SoWal. I just feel a little duped just because I haven't heard back from anyone in the mgmt. co. since I asked them questions regarding the issue. When I made the rental inquiry, they were very quick in their responses.

Part of me just wants to keep with the plans we have and see how it shakes out. Maybe we'll set up on the beach and have no problems since everyone is saying there are no signs posted. If there are problems we'll go to the 83 public access. IDK...I'm getting a headache worrying about it. It doesn't help that I might be the most indecisive person on the planet!

If you do have to go to the 83 public access, the word is that the restrooms will be open and have lifeguards this summer.

Last edited:

Pirate

Beach Fanatic
Jan 2, 2006
Like anything else in life....buyer beware. Some companies are more ethical than others - surprise!! I think you could trust the company if they state that you have beach rights "on the dry sandy portion of the beach". Remember that the term "beach access" by itself does not mean much of anything these days.

Sorry if it appeared that way; I can see your point. I guess I was just stating that since she was not a private property owner that she "didn't have a dog in that fight". I didn't mean anything more.

I hope I didn't give you the impression that I feel tourists in general "don't care". I fully believe that 99+% of the tourists that visit SoWal are great people!!

Regardless, trespassing is trespassing. It is a dangerous thing to pick and choose which laws we abide by and where.

Ever heard of mineral rights? Isn't your home sitting on land that you own and would not that be considered a natural resource? Just making a point.

There are plenty of places to stay in SoWal that have dedicated beaches assoicated with them. Where there is not, there are plenty of public beaches as well.

Keep in mind that one's opinion of private vs. public beaches normally goes along the line between who owns and does not own gulf-front property. I don't expect it any other way. That's why we have laws.

Really, your condo is part of the overcrowding "problem". I am unclear why you fight so hard against other condos being built.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Really, your condo is part of the overcrowding "problem". I am unclear why you fight so hard against other condos being built.
Who said I was against condos being built? And what the heck does that have to do with my post you quoted?

Last edited:

luvthebeach57

Beach Lover
Feb 11, 2008
Columbia, MD

I never got a response from any of the rental management companies nor any owners at the Sanctuary at Redfish regarding how I would get to the beach or beach access. I asked them a couple of times. I got my answers here on the message board. Now shouldn't the condo owner have been able to answer my question? I think some of the owners are investors who know very little about their condos.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Remember that the 83 Access is fairly narrow, especially if everyone from other communities are forced to be jammed onto it.

BeachSiO2, the restrooms are underway and the structure looks close to being complete, minus roof and plumbing. Do you know why the County is paying to station lifeguards at public access to what is being claimed "private beach?"

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
luvthebeach, If it were my condo, I'd know about it and the closet public accesses, etc. I can tell you that I know many owners who have never stepped foot into or onto their home, condo, townhome, or land. I know many others who have never even seen their property. It is not too surprising that they might not know the legal questions regarding their rights to the beach. If they know that the beach to where they are sending their renters is claimed to be privately owned by someone else, I could take a wild guess as to why they are not responding to the beach issue -- they would have no renters if they tried to educate the public. I wonder if you, as a renter, would have a claim against a rental company who promoted use of the beach in front of Blue Mtn Beach S/D, if you were ran off by the cops. That might be scary enough to make the rental companies stop promoting the use of beach. I know people on vacation don't want to deal with the hassle of discovering by surprise that they cannot sit on the beach, but we locals can challenge the publics' right to sit on the beach a little more easily. Those rental companies and VRBO owners may be of the same belief as me, that the beaches have always been used by the public, and the public has a right to sit quietly on the beach.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal

Please don't let a few overly territorial poo-heads and their negativity ruin your vacation!

Assume that you'll have an absolutely wonderful time, ask the rental company about it before you arrive so they can help direct you, and in the hopefully unlikely event that you do have an issue, we'll direct you to a more friendly area o' sand. :wave:

Pirate

Beach Fanatic
Jan 2, 2006
I never got a response from any of the rental management companies nor any owners at the Sanctuary at Redfish regarding how I would get to the beach or beach access. I asked them a couple of times. I got my answers here on the message board. Now shouldn't the condo owner have been able to answer my question? I think some of the owners are investors who know very little about their condos.

There are so many great places to stay here, are you stuck on this place for any particular reason? If you want to be sure just stay gulf front or in another area with less of a complex and you will be in good shape. Just my 2 cents.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007

What some owners don't know about there "investment" property could fill a warehouse.

Remember that the 83 Access is fairly narrow, especially if everyone from other communities are forced to be jammed onto it.

BeachSiO2, the restrooms are underway and the structure looks close to being complete, minus roof and plumbing. Do you know why the County is paying to station lifeguards at public access to what is being claimed "private beach?"

Actually when we stopped by last Sunday the roof was on and the only thing left is the fictures.