• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Remember that the 83 Access is fairly narrow, especially if everyone from other communities are forced to be jammed onto it.

BeachSiO2, the restrooms are underway and the structure looks close to being complete, minus roof and plumbing. Do you know why the County is paying to station lifeguards at public access to what is being claimed "private beach?"

My understanding of the lifeguard placement is that they will be at all County regional accesses with parking and restrooms.

kimbug

Beach Lover
Apr 8, 2005
Northeast Ohio
There are so many great places to stay here, are you stuck on this place for any particular reason? If you want to be sure just stay gulf front or in another area with less of a complex and you will be in good shape. Just my 2 cents.

Not really stuck on it...just put deposit down before checking with the board :bang:! Given that it appears to have only 42 units sold & about 20 or so of those are for sale at least the pool should be pretty quiet :dunno:. My brother-in-law just called & we could cancel but would lose $100. I think it's worth that not to have the hassle. We'll see what the weekend brings. My husband has been out of town all week so I've got to get him up to speed. I found several houses that seem to offer similar privacy and natural surroundings @ Cypress Dunes (but similar problem with beach access, not private vs. public but have to take shuttle) and the one I like best is @ WaterSound West Beach (looooong walk to beach but at least I can get there anytime I'd like).

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
My understanding of the lifeguard placement is that they will be at all County regional accesses with parking and restrooms.
Restrooms are a good thing. We need more around our public beach accesses. I'm just curious as to why the County is building parking and restrooms and stationing lifeguards at places being claimed as private beaches. How is that not to be considered using public funds for private benefit? Again, I think it is wonderful, but seems like an illegal use of public funds, and it will only encourage more people to use the beaches, which are being claimed as private. Surely, this will end up a mess.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Restrooms are a good thing. We need more around our public beach accesses. I'm just curious as to why the County is building parking and restrooms and stationing lifeguards at places being claimed as private beaches. How is that not to be considered using public funds for private benefit? Again, I think it is wonderful, but seems like an illegal use of public funds, and it will only encourage more people to use the beaches, which are being claimed as private. Surely, this will end up a mess.

Every project done can be claimed as being done for private reasons. The issue is in regards to how many private reasons does it take to equal a public good? In this case the shoreline in front of the access is publically owned, and the property to the east of the access is open to at least the BMB subdivision per the 2007 agreement. Also, others park in the parking lot and walk/run on the beach, and BobbyJ and others surf in the Gulf. So is that enough private benefit to equal a public good. In this case. I think many people would say yes.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington

The lifeguards are funded by the TDC and employed through South Walton Fire District(SWFD). Funded by the Bed Tax. Not aware of any lifeguards on private property, but we definitely need more lifeguards and TDC/SWFD have been discussing the issue of public vs private beach and Chief Talbert has some good ideas. Public imput is very welcome so we can get more safety personnel on the beach as soon as possible.

YoungFT

Beach Lover
Aug 1, 2006
Kimbug - check out High Pointe, there's a full thread about it on the Board. It's my personal favorite when I visit 30A. Great pool, easy path to the beach, nice little bar part of the development to watch the sunset and a casual stroll right next door to some of the Rosemary Beach amenities. Rental rates for Gulf Front units are reasonable too (maybe save you some $ compared to Watersound). I've rented through Garrett Realty in the past. http://www.garrettrealty.com/

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Every project done can be claimed as being done for private reasons. The issue is in regards to how many private reasons does it take to equal a public good? In this case the shoreline in front of the access is publically owned, and the property to the east of the access is open to at least the BMB subdivision per the 2007 agreement. Also, others park in the parking lot and walk/run on the beach, and BobbyJ and others surf in the Gulf. So is that enough private benefit to equal a public good. In this case. I think many people would say yes.
very good points.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Question:
If I enter the water from a private beach and get in trouble, will the lifeguard rescue me from the public beach next door?:D

eeeeeee.....that's me wincing at the possible replies.:D