• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

"Savannah" dinner

New posts
Again, thank you to everyone who made suggestions. I'm going to check out some of the suggestions made here and see what I may be able to tackle. No one at the grocery stores near us has ever heard of grits! Oh well, as SJ said...
 
whitesands said:
Again, thank you to everyone who made suggestions. I'm going to check out some of the suggestions made here and see what I may be able to tackle. No one at the grocery stores near us has ever heard of grits! Oh well, as SJ said...
Well, I was going to mention that you won't find grits in grocery stores north of VA, but ...

I misunderstood, and thought your guests were from Savanah and were trying to make them feel like they were at home.

FYI - when making great creamy grits, you can leave off the butter, but replace half of the water with half-and-half. ;-)
 
whitesands said:
Again, thank you to everyone who made suggestions. I'm going to check out some of the suggestions made here and see what I may be able to tackle. No one at the grocery stores near us has ever heard of grits! Oh well, as SJ said...
I live in the Chicago area and I'm probably the only person who buys grits. Make sure you buy the "old fashioned" long cooking grits, by Quaker, I think. Always in the Oatmeal section, but on the bottom shelf! To get that creamy texture, be sure not to skimp on the water and make sure you cook them the entire time that the recipe calls for, making sure to stir occasionally. That way they absorb all the liquid. (Taking them off the heat too soon makes a runny consistency.) Then put in several T. of butter (not margarine) and about 1/4 parmesan cheese - delish!!
 
jdarg said:
I've been to Savannah. I really LOVE Savannah. Can I come to dinner???:idontno: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

LOL...by all means y'all can come...don't know if you'd thank me though.

I can't find grits...I'm going to make a creole dish...chicken and sausage served over rice. I'm a little disappointed actually, but will persevere.

Again, thank you all so very much; and SJ, it wasn't you who misunderstood so much as me who didn't explain enough. If I ever do find grits up here, I will try the "creamy" version...sounds very yummy. Again, thanks...oh and Donna, scalloped oysters and spoonbread...YUM! Sounds wonderful...wish I could eat oysters...Johnrudy, Chicago? Are you sure you're not from the South? I'll have to try your version too. And thank you so much for your kind words. You are very sweet. You all are very sweet! Thanks so much...wish me luck!
 
good god white sands where are you from that you can't find grits??? shrimp and grits IS the dish of Savannah and the south!!! I will personally send you the best grits (Adaluh, here in Columbia, stone ground) and I will send you an amazing recipe for shrimp...I have made them many times for my sorority girls...and they love them so much that I am making them for their Parents weekend in April.

on the other hand ..the jambalaya (aka JUMbalaya) recipe I have is very good...just give it plenty of time to cook:biggrin: ...don't settle for what ever recipe it is you are contemplating!!!!!!!!! I BEG you!!!! DO NOT DO IT!!! A low country boil is better than that!!!!!....corn, sausage, shrimp and red skinned potatoes...very Savannah!!!
 
Johnrudy said:
I live in the Chicago area and I'm probably the only person who buys grits. Make sure you buy the "old fashioned" long cooking grits, by Quaker, I think. Always in the Oatmeal section, but on the bottom shelf! To get that creamy texture, be sure not to skimp on the water and make sure you cook them the entire time that the recipe calls for, making sure to stir occasionally. That way they absorb all the liquid. (Taking them off the heat too soon makes a runny consistency.) Then put in several T. of butter (not margarine) and about 1/4 parmesan cheese - delish!!
the key to good grits is adding butter, half and half, cream cheese , cheddar cheese and a pinch of garlic powder!!!! trust me I know these things!!!!! ( a little chicken broth doesn't hurt either!!!):biggrin: :biggrin:
 
Allifunn said:
good god white sands where are you from that you can't find grits??? shrimp and grits IS the dish of Savannah and the south!!! I will personally send you the best grits (Adaluh, here in Columbia, stone ground) and I will send you an amazing recipe for shrimp...I have made them many times for my sorority girls...and they love them so much that I am making them for their Parents weekend in April.

on the other hand ..the jambalaya (aka JUMbalaya) recipe I have is very good...just give it plenty of time to cook:biggrin: ...don't settle for what ever recipe it is you are contemplating!!!!!!!!! I BEG you!!!! DO NOT DO IT!!! A low country boil is better than that!!!!!....corn, sausage, shrimp and red skinned potatoes...very Savannah!!!
You are not reading AlliFunn. You must be too excited about cooking. :D WhiteSand's available shrimp is all mush and not so tasty.
 
Whitesands when I cook grits, I get the "slow" cook kind, not quick grits or instant. I simply put water, salt, butter and grits. You are right, if they are cooked just right, it almost looks like some of the butter comes to the top. To get the right consistency, follow the directions, and as they cook and thicken (they never tell you to put enough) add a little more, stir, simmer and check consistency again. Add until they are right. Don't put cheese. You gotta know how to cook grits to make good cheese grits. Cook them slowly. I hope they are good :D
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top