• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
In addition to the 30-A traffic, the 395 traffic, and the bicycle traffic, it looks, to me, like there will be traffic coming out of, at least, two or three driveways entering the circle. Let's hope these homeowners aren't backing out...

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I did a recount: It looks to be four driveways that will be using the circle in addition to 395, 30-A east, and 30-A west. On the roundabouts that I have used in Destin, the traffic is usually coming in at 25MPH or more. That is really the point of roundabouts. You don't stop, you simply yield. I would really like to feel that the people who are designing this thing are really very versed in multiple entries (7?) and I'd really like someone to explain how it will work interfacing the bike path. Does anybody know?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Question: Has the Walton County Road Department ever designed and constructed a roundabout? I guess there is always a chance of beginner's luck.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Sure would love to see a sketch of how the engineering firm thinks this will work. Sounds like quite a challenge.

According to this graphic, all the negative and really negative attitudes pre-traffic circle are going to be positive after construction.

View attachment 28739

Source: http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/intersection/roundabouts/presentations/safety_aspects/short.cfm

According to the graphic, there is not a single negative opinion post construction. That is just not realistic.

I can guarantee my opinion will not suddenly become positive once it is built. I hate driving in traffic circles.
More of them will not change my opinion of them and putting one where I have to negotiate it by bike or foot certainly won't.

Last edited:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Yes, the vehicles in the circle have the right of way, and hopefully keep moving to allow more cars to enter and exit. Can you imagine what happens when momma, on her second time on a bicycle, tries to herd her six children through the intersection, with "junior" pumping away, through the tears... as a long line of cars stack up on all three arteries, and a couple of homeowners try to back their SUV's out into the mix... I'm like Jdarg, I hope there's spectator seating with beer and popcorn.

seagrover

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2004
Seagrove Beach, FL
Lake View and Jdarg, I think we are in for a spectacle for sure. Lake View, you painted a great picture of a moment in the future. I can see it now.