• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

flajones

Beach Comber
Oct 21, 2009
www.basmatisthirtya.com
There are no "Road Closed" signs at the intersection of 30A and 83, or at the intersection of 283 and 30A. Signs are positioned about 100 yards before the concrete barriers. For folks who live here, most know about the road closure, if you are visiting, there is nothing to suggest that you will need to turn back when you proceed thru the intersections. Not very hospitable to those sales tax and bed tax payers that supplement us property tax payers.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
There are no "Road Closed" signs at the intersection of 30A and 83, or at the intersection of 283 and 30A. Signs are positioned about 100 yards before the concrete barriers. For folks who live here, most know about the road closure, if you are visiting, there is nothing to suggest that you will need to turn back when you proceed thru the intersections. Not very hospitable to those sales tax and bed tax payers that supplement us property tax payers.

This needs attention ASAP! I have stayed off the roads during the weekend. but I have also assumed signage was being placed due to the busy holiday weekend (should have been done weeks ago!)... never assume anything in Walton County, FL!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Here's a look at the top of the culvert. The water level is now at the top of the culvert and moving through very slowly. The water level now is about 12 feet lower than it was.

I am no engineer, but since the actual hole is west of the culvert, and the hole is dry, it looks like a fill and pavement patch is relatively simple. But I suppose as long as the culvert is blocked then it could overflow again if we had another major rain event. Meanwhile we should probably have beaver traps out on the north end of the lake and regular inspections of culverts.

2013-09-02-09.44.02.jpg

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
http://defuniakherald.com/?p=6624

CR-30A ROAD CLOSURE AT REDFISH LAKE TO CONTINUE

Aug 30th, 2013 | 0
By DOTTY NIST

The closed portion of CR-30A next to Redfish Lake will remain so for now as Walton County moves forward with plans to construct a bridge to replace the culvert that was undermined during recent heavy rains.

At the Aug. 27 Walton County Board of County Commissioners (BCC) meeting at the Walton County Courthouse, the situation with the failed road section was pondered, with a course of action being identified after some discussion.

The commissioners first discussed getting a diver to go down into the lake and inspect the culvert to see if it would be possible to temporarily fix it and patch the road. However, the conclusion was reached that the wiser course would be not to waste money on a temporary solution.

District 5 Commissioner Cindy Meadows pointed out that there are alternate routes and suggested continuing with existing detours on the road section for the time being. She said she had received requests to reopen the pedestrian/bicycle path adjacent to the road section, and she was in favor of doing so if possible.

District 4 Commissioner Sara Comander expressed agreement on continuing the road closure and detours while working to get the bridge started.

The county has been seeking funding through the National Resource Damage Assessment (NRDA) process to replace culverts on a number of the coastal dune lakes, including Redfish Lake, with bridges. However there is no certainty as to whether this funding will be approved or when.

The cost for a bridge to replace the Redfish Lake culvert had been estimated at $500,000. However, Walton County Public Works Director Wilmer Stafford told the commissioners that county staff should be able to do the project for approximately half that amount.

Walton County District 3 Commissioner Bill Imfeld suggested using funds from the Landfill Reserve account to pay for the project.

Billy McKee, Walton County environmental manager, told the commissioners that the Northwest Florida Water Management District had indicated willingness to expedite permitting for the project with their agency.

However, permitting with the U.S. Army Corps of Engneers (ACOE) will also be necessary, and McKee cautioned that the ACOE would be “a different animal.” He estimated that the permitting process would take at least six months.

Meadows suggested that the county’s federal legislative delegation be contacted for help in getting the ACOE permitting expedited.

It was discussed that Preble-Rish, one of the three engineering companies under contract with the county for continuing services, had researched the project and was well prepared to assist with engineering services. Meadows observed that it would be expedient to have Preble-Rish provide these services for the project.
She moved to move forward with the bridge and assign the engineering services for the project to Preble-Rish. The motion was approved unanimously.

Staff received direction to reopen the pedestrian/bicycle path upon inspection and verification that it would be safe to do so.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I went down at 10 A.M. this morning to the "meeting" scheduled to brief the press on the 30A. situation. It didn't take place as advertised. I did note something that needs correction. During my brief stay, at least 4 cars passed me as I sat about 50 yds short of the hole. Every one of them had an out of state license plate and all had to, of course, turn around. The detour signage needs to be re-positioned so that people do not continue through the intersection at 83.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I was over there yesterday. It looks much worse in person than any photos I've seen. Nevertheless, I took a few shots.

lines.jpgholerail2.jpglayers.jpgholerail.jpg

flajones

Beach Comber
Oct 21, 2009
www.basmatisthirtya.com
Very clear to a number of qualified people that the hole in the road could be fixed within two to three days. Does it make sense to leave the road closed for a minimum of eight months waiting for permits when the road could be reopened by next weekend? The hole in the road in not very close to the lake, could be baled and filled quickly. Why do 30 to 40 people (or more) need to lose their jobs in Grayton and Blue Mountain while Walton County waits on permits?
Also, still makes no sense that Road Closed signs are not at intersections, visitors are furious when they go through intersection and find they can't get through.
And Detour sign on 98W is gibberish, should say "Hwy 30A Blue Mountain Beach Next Left"

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
How can it be fixed in 2-3 days? I certainly wouldn't feel safe driving on that after a quick fix!