• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
It's a road that works for now and that's what matters! and someday it will transform into a permanent bridge... I'm just happy it's open and all of 30A is reunited! BMB businesses are so relieved and I am too for them.

If Huckabee had nothing to do with it, how did that rumor get started? just curious. If he did, well, then thank you.

Sometimes it takes the county a few minutes (or weeks) to figure it out... but I am glad they did consider the options and solutions, and I think the general public in South Walton will not let them forget that a bridge must be part of the long term solution.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I'll be honest, if it were raining very heavily I would certainly avoid that stretch of road, particularly if I were driving a big heavy truck. For example if I were moving my stuff in a U-haul and there was a huge downpour, I wouldn't go that route. This is my non-expert opinion. I would also want to look that area over myself in the aftermath of heavy rain. Obviously we couldn't depend on people who's job it is to maintain the culvert and respond to issues the first time around, I see no reason to assume it's any better this time. It's a confidence issue for me right now.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Andy, Maybe I missed it, but I haven't heard the culvert is cleared. Since you talk to the commisioners every day, and have the low-down, tell them that the Bailey Bridge, you said would be installed, looks great. I'm looking forward to Leader driving a tank over it.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I haven't had much confidence in the county road crew for a long, long time. They don't seem to be up to the challenges of even maintaining the bike path, much less a very busy highway. There are significant maintenance problems all along 30-A. The shoulders just west of WaterColor are severely eroded, there's a bad drainage problem in front of Seagrove Tom Thumb, etc. I told them about the culvert problem east of Walline, but I doubt they did anything other than a shovel full of patch.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I actually get an uneasy feeling riding over the concrete and steel bicycle bridge at Redfish hole. It always shakes a bit. It's not just my perception. I was riding across it and about 4 kids were behind me on skateboards. One of them said "ooohh! it's shaking!". Another one of them said "That's scary". If you jump on it it sends it sends a wave the whole length of the bridge. I even once heard a rattling sound. The other bike bridges don't do any of this.

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
What a totally negative and unfounded, not to mention, ignorant post. I am damned glad the road is once again open and if a bridge is needed and warranted, I have been told it will be built.

I don't believe LOCAL is being negative. He is being realistic, and whatever he is being, it is his opinion, and we don't all have the same opinions and I really do appreciate all of them. He has a point, especially considering the county government which is quite limited.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Teresa, I only call them as I see 'em. Always have, always will. As a SoWal staff member, it is one of your jobs to please and pacify everyone as much as possible. It is, however, not mine. It is my opinion the road needed to be open as soon as possible for a myriad of reasons. As I have said previously, as a Blue Mountain Beach resident, I am damned glad it is open.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
LOCAL seems a little cynical or skeptical to me and doesn't seem overly enthused about the way things went. There's no harm in that. For those who wanted the road to open back up as soon as possible, be happy. That section of road might just be a Chappaquidick waiting to happen. It certainly was during the month of August. We just got lucky. No one was driving on it at the time. Don't think about it.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
yes, you are right Andy A - the road needed to be opened asap! I'm so glad a safe, solid, short term solution was found and quickly implemented. I agree with YOU. But I appreciate the concerns of others as well which has resulted in excellent information about the issue of dune lakes and what's really needed in terms of long term planning.

I do think in this case, the lives of people and businesses on 30A outweigh the preservation of the lakes, but only in the very short term.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
You are absolutely wrong on this one, L of B! (Have you and Andy been sharing the same bong?) I have walked across Eastern Lake pedestrian bridge and, if another person is on it ( not even a pack of skateboarders) it will vibrate in a scary way. You gots to stop this bromance with Andy.