• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Just to put it all into perspective, this is how they do it in Colorado...

Attachments

• Colorado.jpg
    Colorado.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 332

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
All we need is a good beaver elimination strategy. Surely we have a few dozen Walton County residents who know well how to kill varmints.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
My Dear SoWaller, The Road is open, this whole weekend mention this post and get a complimentary drink no purchase necessary we are so happy to have everyone back Thanks Walton County & everyone involved :thanks::thanks::thanks::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Just don't serve any dam beavers!

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
All we need is a good beaver elimination strategy. Surely we have a few dozen Walton County residents who know well how to kill varmints.

Anyone know if black bears eat beaver and other varmints ? Then we should capture the family including their cubs by the elementary school
On 30A and move them to redfish. Problem solved and I'm sure it wouldn't create any new or additional problems? :growl :

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Pretty sure the antique driveway-sized culvert under a ROADWAY combined with twice as much traffic and 4 times as much rain was more the culprit than a small group of beavers.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Can't we just give Huckabee some scuba gear and a shovel?

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
On a more serious note (hear me out), If Mike has all this clout, is there any way he can push the county to do a better job of maintenance and inspection of all the causeways and culverts? Let's make that all of 30A. If he's so all powerful you would think he could get some of these obvious slackers off their butts and start responding. Let's be serious (there's that word again), the Redfish causeway probably should have been closed at least a couple of weeks before it collapsed. To anyone complaining about the supposedly slow response for repair, you should be complaining about the glaring absence of attention to important detail. Either way, if things were done right, that road would have been closed some time in mid August for proper inspection and repair. Of course, that would not have passed muster with these prescient geniuses who can just look at a section of road and say that it's safe to drive without further analysis. Space shuttles explode and oil rigs get set ablaze because of such greedy, profit-driven, image-conscious thoroughly unscientific rationale.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I like it better when you're a wise-ass, but everything you said is pretty well hitting the core of the problem. The road maintenance of 30-A has simply been sub-standard. I'm sorry if this statement hurts people's feeling and maybe the road department is trying, but it simply seems sub-standard. It was designated a scenic highway, it has several world class planned communities, and nobody seems to be in charge of culvert maintenance nor a miriad of other problems. I've spoken out about road problems well before this incident. I pointed out another serious erosion problem near Walline almost a month ago, and nothing has been done about it. I really don't have a clue (nor care) what Huckabee really has to do with any of this, but I wouldn't mind if he stepped up and lent a hand, instead of being complacent like so many of our absentee property owners. What's it really matter to you unless you are a permanent resident?

flajones

Beach Comber
Oct 21, 2009
www.basmatisthirtya.com
Some food for thought...Having had the opportunity to talk with County Supervisory staff (Highways and Environmental) as the Redfish roadway was being repaired, I came away impressed with their commitment to upgrading the entire length of 30A. There appears to be a plan in the works for replacing a number of the causeways that separate north and south portions of coastal dune lakes. The goal being to make them safer, easier to maintain, and probably most importantly, to restore the free flow of water between currently separated bodies of water. Obviously this will be rather expensive and will involve extensive permitting. Hopefully there will be adequate public input on dealing with the impact on locals and visitors, but ultimately we should have a road system that protects the environment as well as serves the needs of all.