• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
wow. it seems that a new building should be funded by the school system, in its entirety, including equipment. otherwise, they should not have built it. the students at bay have played outside for many many years and got along well without a gym.

I'm not saying they didn't need it, but if the school board couldn't pay for it, then they should not have built it.

I had no idea! surely the school board had to approve and fund this? it's a capital project!

And we are building 2 multi million dollar schools and paying cash for them. So we have the money from everything I can find. Just does not make any sense why we are not paying for this stuff, and not quite sure how they are convincing people that they should open up their checkbooks in addition to their tax bills every year.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
all I remember about the gym is that it did receive quite a bit of news coverage because the Pt Washington Historic group did not want to see a big metal building erected right on Hwy 395, and rightly so. We have lived in this neighborhood for years and its an old and special little piece of SoWal - with much character. there is much to preserve.

So apparently the school board did approve changes to the project to include brick siding, which is still in process.

that's all I know about that.

I would guess that the board funded this project. maybe they asked the PTO to help? not sure why this would be appropriate.

someone on this SoWal message board should be able to clarify this.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I don't see the fundraisers being held during school hours, unless it is the parents trying to sell stuff. But I'm not in DFS, either. I do know that for the things I've sold, it's been me passing the brochure around the Annex. They expressly advise against door-to-door sales anyway.

As far as ECMS and their warm-ups, I certainly do not envision anyone approaching the school board for that. Wouldn't the grumpy-about-any-expenditure people jump up and down then! That is an activity that is worthy of a fundraiser. At the high school level, concessions are the primary fundraiser, but I don't think that's the case with the middle schools.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
all I remember about the gym is that it did receive quite a bit of news coverage because the Pt Washington Historic group did not want to see a big metal building erected right on Hwy 395, and rightly so. We have lived in this neighborhood for years and its an old and special little piece of SoWal - with much character. there is much to preserve.

So apparently the school board did approve changes to the project to include brick siding, which is still in process.

that's all I know about that.

I would guess that the board funded this project. maybe they asked the PTO to help? not sure why this would be appropriate.

someone on this SoWal message board should be able to clarify this.

Yes, thankfully they did approve brick siding. I would hope it would not be put upon the PTO to pay for it. I also hope it wouldn't be that the board agreed to pay for the bricking, INSTEAD of the flooring and other furnishing INSIDE the building. :dunno:

momof2kids

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
Although I believe that fundraising in all school levels is necessary to supplement school equipment, there should be a limit to fundraising events. For instance have 2 major fundraisers; one in the fall/winter and one in the spring. There are other fundraisers throughout the school year; adopt a classroom, scholastic, book fair, candy grams etc... This area is too small to have 4-5 fundraisers at each school every year. As much as our local businesses want to support each school, for every fundraiser it just isn't possible. Yes, we can use the line "it's tax deductible", but when the business is hurting because of a weak economy the donation may not be worth the deduction.

As a parent I also start to feel nickle & dimed by the end of the school year. Not only am I doing my part to support the fundraisers, but I am also donating supplies to classrooms.

If I am giving money to only 2 fundraisers per year and I know where that money is being spent (for a computer lab, or making 21st century classrooms, etc...) then I would be more inclined to donate more money. Knowing that all the other fundraisers are out there makes me donate my money in other ways, leaving less money for the necessary improvements (like technology).

Maybe there should be a uniform policy about school fundraisers? When they can be held, limit the number of major fundraisers per year, cut back on the cookie dough/pizza fundraising and look into a healthy alternative... Not sure where to begin with this, but it's something all parents in the area should think about. Your schools PTO/PTA should be able to help get the ball rolling. Let your opinion be known at their meetings. Somthing like this surely won't change over night, but something can (and should) be done.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
cut back on the cookie dough/pizza fundraising and look into a healthy alternative...

Hey. It's got to be something people WANT.

Of course we no longer have a Pizza Hut, but the Pizza Hut cards were da bomb during peewee football back in the day...:D

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Hey. It's got to be something people WANT.

Of course we no longer have a Pizza Hut, but the Pizza Hut cards were da bomb during peewee football back in the day...:D

I saw where the Hut changed to a Starbucks and that other one closed down in the shopping center. How in the world can a Pizza Hut not survive with all those people. Seems that sowal does not care for national chain stores.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I saw where the Hut changed to a Starbucks and that other one closed down in the shopping center. How in the world can a Pizza Hut not survive with all those people. Seems that sowal does not care for national chain stores.

we like really good pizza.:wave: we've got amore' and pizza by the sea. what more could we ever want? not to mention enzo's, angelina's, and fat clemenza's. all wonderful in their own ways.

momof2kids

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach

It wasn't about surviving because Pizza Hut at the outlet mall was always busy, it was probably more about money. I'm sure the PH owners were offered a pretty penny for that building, and they were able to move into a much smaller delivery or pick up only location in the same area with smaller staff, lower liability, and just as busy...