• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
What Skunky said. I have pics from today, but the story didn't change from yesterday. At 445pm, they were still waiting for more than the nine people (no exaggeration) to show before bringing out the opening band, which they eventually did at 5pm, even though showtime was scheduled at 4pm. Again, the music was great. I am still saddened that the bands had to play to such a thin audience.

No open gates, today, but they were issuing "complementary" tickets for anyone wanting to come inside. The tickets are good for tomorrow, too, and unless something changes before tomorrow's shows, I have a good guess that anyone wanting to attend tomorrow can show up and gain entry. Leave your coolers, food, beverage and cameras at home. If you want to drink inside the venue, Heineken and Amstel Light is available, or you can frequent a restaurant in Seaside to get your beverage if you don't mind missing part of the show. Please come out to see the bands. They are terrific and could use a cool audience.

Word on the street is that things might change slightly for next week's shows. No confirmed details yet, so it is a wait and see. Keep checking SoWal.com for more info, as they are very limited on getting out timely notices, otherwise.

Also keep your ears peeled to www.sowal.com for more details on a possible side-show. There is nothing official yet, but I'll post it here when I confirm it. I'll close with a photo (not mine) of one of the great bands to play at next week's show...

lions_den01.jpg

Walter "Wolfman" Washington
(photo from www.myspace.com/walterwolfmanhttp://www.sowal.com/bb/www.myspace.com/walterwolfman -- check out his sounds)

If you are interested in purchasing one of his albums, go to Central Square Records, located in Seaside, and give them your business.

TableFiveChef

Beach Lover
Oct 24, 2006
Miramar Beach
Please go out and support these fantastic musicians. This is the best music to come to South Walton in Years. The Rebirth show on Friday was the best live jazz act I have ever seen sans audience. So much of this area is dominated by smooth jazz that it was refreshing to hear the "real thing". If you can get in free on Sunday what is stopping you? Do not let these talented artists play to an open field. They deserve better.

butterbean

Beach Fanatic
Jun 15, 2006
me thinks on memorial weekend even more folks will be moving from place to place and not wanting to pay large bucks to sit and listen to music, I know these are first rate N.O, musicians, most vacationers aren't gonna drop a buck fifty when they can hear the music as they go from Great Southern to Rendevous to the record shop . Great ideas done wrong really seem to be Seasides new motto, and if I get hassled again about this picture taking, I may avoid Seaside altogether. Maybe I'll go undercover like S. JOe!

I bet if Seaside actually went to the Seaside business owners and long-term employees at those stores to ask for input, they would have some great suggestions and ideas on how to run the special events. From what I hear, they had zero input. What is even more interesting to me is that Heineken was the only sponsor. Seems like they forgot to use the stores which brought in the 1% Seaside Special Event Tax to help advertise.

What you don't understand is that this event was put on BY The Merchants of Seaside, which is run by a Board of Seaside merchants. The event program says "This event is brought to you by the Arts & Entertainment Fee collected by the Merchants of Seaside."

The Cottage Rental Agency and Seaside Corporation, which are two other entities, have a seat on the Board, and I'm sure CRA had much involvement in the logistics planning.

We were in Seaside yesterday and someone kindly gave us tickets to hear Shamarr Allen (New Orleans) because it was the same scenario as Friday night, and they were holding his performance until the audience increased in size. He was so amazing, and while I was enjoying the music, I was also sad to know that this event could have had such a positive effect on Seaside and our whole community.

Maybe some of it can be corrected before next weekend.

First, the Seaside representative at the Board of County Commissioners' Mtg on Tuesday night, who was applying for permission to have the Jazz Fest (yes, on Tues of this week!), flat-out lied to the BCC when asked point blank if Seaside would open up parking. She announced that all of the public parking areas in Seaside, with the exception of one small portion on the north side, would be open for public parking, and they needed that small space to control the gates. Instead of doing as the Seaside representative stated, Seaside blocked off half of their public parking to erect tents to prevent people from seeing into the amphitheater.

I just need to address the first part of your comment:

Most likely the reason the Seaside representative was only facing the BCC last Tuesday was because in the last month (due to complaints brought about by Mr. Hudson about the Seabreeze Jazz Festival) did the County begin enforcing a 35 year old ordinance that requires events to provide to the County proof of ownership of the site parcel/lease agreement, copy of sewage disposal agreement, garbage clean up plan, posting a clean up bond, traffic control plan, financial backing disclosure, fire department approval, copy of covenants & restrictions, and medical emergency plan and more.

While this ordinance may be a good one (and probably more thorough and enforced than anything relating to development), many events did not have knowledge the ordinance existed or a proper amount of time to meet the requirements.

Most events got their normal permitting via written request and thought they were covered until calls from Pat Blackshear's office came. I dealt with it myself with ArtsQuest, learning that we needed to comply only fourteen days before the event was to begin. Blackshear's office was extremely helpful, though.

And regarding Seaside's parking spaces:
There are over 200 public parking spaces on Smolian Circle so taking up those on Central Square for the tents (however bad that idea was) is not taking up half of Seaside's public parking. So the representative didn't lie.

BTW, I don't know who the representative was and have no affiliation with the event; I'm just giving my opinion.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
You are right, I don't understand the difference between Seaside, the DCA, CRA, and the HOA, nor does the average person who thinks, "Seaside," when they drive or walk through. I'm wondering if there is one business owner in Seaside which was asked for input on the event. The merchants with whom I have spoken, say that they were not asked for input.

I think you are spot-on regarding this event having so much potential, and I hope they can learn from it and understand the reason why it flopped rather than dropping it next year. I see nothing but incredible potential to make this an incredible event. They got the talent right. They just need a paradigm shift regarding the way monies are raised. Yesterday, I heard an excellent suggestion -- suggest a donation for attendees, and have a real M.C., who knows how to promote the bands, the additional festivities, Seaside merchants, and who has a way with connecting with the audience, making them feel their donations are worthy. Only Friday, did I hear that some of the "would-be" proceeds were going to NOLA musicians who were hurt by Hurricane Katrina. People need to know why they are giving.

Truly, I hope that they shift some things around, and just realize this event has so much potential, if they will just get some interconnectivity between the merchants, make it open to the public, and promote it. Drive over to Seaside, today, in hopes of getting to listen to more great music. There is nothing official, but my guess is that you will gain access without problems. Let's get an audience for these talented musicians who came over from NOLA.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'll keep that person's name out of it, as I am sure she was just doing what she was asked. She stated that only a few parking places would not be available. Seeing as they removed about 60, I'd say that was at least stretching the truth. Isn't Somolian Circle the street which runs behind Modica? I really don't see that many public parking spaces on that street. When they had the big parking lot, now a building, that sounds a likely number. I've never counted, and you probably know much more about it than me, so I'll take your word for it.

You are probably right again about the late request for the event. At that same BCC meeting, that ordinance was addressed, and they are looking at updating it. Comm. Commander said that it was likely written as a reaction to Woodstock, due to its mention of drugs. Hopefully, they will update it so there isn't so much darn red tape, and they can perhaps provide a suggested checklist for special events, without the need to micro-manage the smaller events.

I'll keep that person's name out of it, as I am sure she was just doing what she was asked. She stated that only a few parking places would not be available. Seeing as they removed about 60, I'd say that was at least stretching the truth. Isn't Somolian Circle the street which runs behind Modica? I really don't see that many public parking spaces on that street. When they had the big parking lot, now a building, that sounds a likely number. I've never counted, and you probably know much more about it than me, so I'll take your word for it.

You are probably right again about the late request for the event. At that same BCC meeting, that ordinance was addressed, and they are looking at updating it. Comm. Commander said that it was likely written as a reaction to Woodstock, due to its mention of drugs. Hopefully, they will update it so there isn't so much darn red tape, and they can perhaps provide a suggested checklist for special events, without the need to micro-manage the smaller events.

Smolian Circle surrounds the Lyceum/School.

I heard the ordinance was a reaction to a Beach Boys concert in Sandestin in 1973 that became unruly.

BoomerSooner

Beach Crab
May 18, 2008
any word on if they will be refunding this weekends passes? or Will they change the ticket "setup" for next weekend?:dunno: