• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005
Seagrove Villas seawall from the beach.
This was taken Oct 11, 2005. This shows removal of red sand as ordered by county.
Note how far out onto the beach the seawall is-the rules state that it should be constructeed as close to the structure as practical. If they would have done that they wouldn't have had to buy so much sand to fill it in.

In addition, the farther back the seawall the less likely it would be destroyed by a storm surge. Also if they would have put it closer to the structure as they are suppose to do they could have put more sand and seaoats put in front of it to help protect it.

This seawall will just contribute to erosion (when the surf reaches the pilings/seawall it will create an eddy and suck out the sand) and in a storm will just add to the pile of debris that taxpayers will have to pay to remove.
It is also likely that it could eventually become an obstruction to beach use.

We all need to call our county commisioners.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
hi n dry said:
the pilings to west of Seagrove villas
attachment.php

Looking at your photo, if they place sand seaward of the seawall at a 2:1 slope, the sand will be in the Gulf, and there will be no beach.:shock:

ktschris

Beach Fanatic
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis
TooFarTampa said:
hi n dry -- is this what you meant? I snapped this pic on Sunday at Seagrove. Those pilings are bizarro.

fourthpics068.jpg
This photo was taken of the exact spot where we set up every day for our vacation. I thought it would have started to look better since June, but I think it looks worse. Is the walk over from the Beacons condos gone?

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
ktschris said:
This photo was taken of the exact spot where we set up every day for our vacation. I thought it would have started to look better since June, but I think it looks worse. Is the walk over from the Beacons condos gone?

Ktschris I don't know. I did notice a number of walkovers had not been rebuilt, but I don't know the landscape that well so I could not tell you which one. It might be worse than June (were you there post-Arlene?) but is probably better since Dennis. I was kind of immune to it since I had seen so many photos here, but my husband was surprised. I was happy that the beach seemed pretty wide and there was some nice white squeaky sand. The dunes of course remain a mess.

ktschris

Beach Fanatic
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis
TFT - I know what you mean. I've been looking at those photos too. But most of the time when I see one, I kind of recognize the area, but that is the first photo I've seen that actually showed the place we stayed. In June we had 2 houses on Periwinkle - 7 condos in the Beacons and 1 house on the other side of the Beacons.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Smiling JOe said:
attachment.php

Looking at your photo, if they place sand seaward of the seawall at a 2:1 slope, the sand will be in the Gulf, and there will be no beach.:shock:

SJ that totally makes sense. The sand will do what it will do, and it will naturally slope at that 30 degree angle. So in order to keep the wall covered the the new "dune" will go WAY out there. Seriously, that's ridiculous. It's as if they are trying to reclaim the land but the coastline has changed so it is imposssible. Can this be stopped and the wall moved back? Please tell me it can. :pissed:

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005
Who you can contact regarding your concerns about seawalls:
CONTACT NUMBERS *

DEP: ***************Tony McNeal- Permitting officer *************850-921-7745
USF&W: ***********Janet Mizzi-Deputy Field Supervisor ******850-769-0552 *ext. 247
FF&WCC: *********Kipp Frohlich ***************************************850-922-4330

County Commissioners contact information:

District 1: Commissioner Scott Brannon *
19367 U.S. Hwy 331S
Freeport, FL 32439
Tel: (850) 835-4860
Fax: (850) 835-4836
E-mail:* brascott@co.walton.fl.us

District 2: Commissioner Kenneth Pridgen *
17400 State Highway 83 North
DeFuniak Springs, FL 32433
Phone: (850) 834-6328
Fax: (850) 834-6385
Email: prikenneth@co.walton.fl.us

*3. Commissioner Larry Jones
Donna Walsinkham, District 3*Executive Assistant
1483 County Highway 1087
DeFuniak Springs, FL. 32435
Phone: (850) 892-8474
Fax: (850)892-8475
e-mail: jonlarry@co.walton.fl.us

4. Commissioner Ro Cuchens
Commissioner Cuchens can be reached at (850) 835-4834.
His office is located at 417 Highway 20 East in Freeport.
Email: cucro@co.walton.fl.us

5. Commissioner Cindy Meadows
90 Spires Lane, Unit 7-A
Santa Rosa Beach, FL. 32459
Phone: (850) 622-3059
Fax: (850) 622-3067
e-mail:* meacindy@co.walton.fl.us

Snapper Grabber

Beach Comber
Jul 9, 2005
It almost seems as if no one is in charge to make sure nothing inappropriate is built on the beach. Those in the positions of authority and local government need to have what is best for the beach and the environment as their number one priority,

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
I'm on the east end of 30a, in Scott Brannon's district. I've written and called him on several occasions with opinions or to ask questions, and without exception, I've never received a response of any kind from him. Doesn't make you feel terribly "empowered." :dunno:

Last edited: