Seawalls, Geo-tubes, Beach Scraping and Beach Nourishment. What is the answer?

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Dave Rauschkolb, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

You are asking us crazy people whether or not you are crazy? You definitely must be crazy.

2. pmd8

pmd8 Beach Lover

If there had been proper setbacks for building, homes would not be sliding into the Gulf. Grayton and St. Andrews Parks don't need "renourishing". The dunes which protect us from storms have for the most part been mowed down by construction. If you're stupid enough to build too close to the beach, suck it up when your house washes away.

Pumping sand is an expensive and ultimately futile solution. Take a tour of the brown and black sands in Panama City Beach. We were told it would bleach out. Still waiting on that after 10 or so years.

3. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

SoWal beaches have never been dredged.

It does seem like a lot of money is being spent on useless short-term efforts, which could be better spent on long-term efforts. I can completely sympathize, but I believe some gulf front owners are being told (and buying in to) what they want to hear about geotubes and seawalls - that these constructs will help to save them from nature's power. It's looking like a giant swindle. And when presented with facts representing stark reality, the attitude is "well we have to do something, even if it's wrong". I guess that's the American spirit.

4. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Okay fellow crazy people....just returned from WC Home Owner's meeting. Had a wonderful scientist/inventor, Jay Sample with his product...Protectube. I spoke with him at length and listened to his presentation. I will give his link later, but do some research on your own. Have to run on to renter's meeting....this should be fun. So many people with so many PROBLEMS!!! I am glad I can take the good with the not so good!!! Perfection only exisits at sunset on the beaches of SoWal!!

5. SHELLY

SHELLY SoWal Insider

>>Had a wonderful scientist/inventor, Jay Sample with his product...Protectube. I spoke with him at length and listened to his presentation. <<

Did he have a bamboo cane, a plaid jacket, a wagon and start his speech with "Step right up folks!"

No need to research--he said his "invention" will save the beaches....right? (for a pretty high price too, I bet)

On the docket for the next WC meeting: The guy selling Variable Annuities to 90-year-old ladies--don't miss it.

6. Rita

Rita margarita brocolia

"Did he have a bamboo cane, a plaid jacket, a wagon and start his speech with "Step right up folks!"

No need to research--he said his "invention" will save the beaches....right? (for a pretty high price too, I bet)

On the docket for the next WC meeting: The guy selling Variable Annuities to 90-year-old ladies--don't miss it."

:roll:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2005
  7. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Oh ye of little faith. Wasn't looking for you to personally research this...since it's my money, I'll do it.

8. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I think that is the same guy who spoke an infomercial at the beginning of the White Sand Emergency Meeting. I believe Commissioner Pridgens invited him. I found it very curious that he was allowed to speak on the subject (advertise his product) for 20 minutes at a meeting that was supposed to be about the color of sand being dumped illegally on the beach. Use extreme caution. His product may work :dunno:, but I smell something a little fishy.

9. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

I'd rather not have to be discussing this topic at all, but when I saw the diagram of the loss of dune since Opal...you get concerned. The website for this product is www.advancedcoastaltechnology.com I'll be pursuing this info after the guests leave. He did enlighten a lot of people about seawalls and geotubes. I had enough education from this board to be able to follow along and understand. Thanks to all my educators.

I would like to hear what Seaside heard today and what they are looking at...

10. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Reminds me of G?del's Incompleteness Theorem.

11. ktmeadows

ktmeadows Beach Fanatic

:lolabove: .....the insane interpret the world via their own peculiarly consistent logic; how can you tell if your own logic is "peculiar' or not, given that you have only your own logic to judge itself?" Kurt Goedel

I guess in a nutshell this pretty much describes all of us on this board, doesn't it! :floor:

Beach Runner....I can't figure out how to do an "umlaut" on my computer!

12. aquaticbiology

aquaticbiology fishlips

ProTecTube II w/PerfectPore inner fabric
    (Perched beaches, minimum beach width defense), environmentally invisible

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT! :razz:

failure! failure! failure!

all that money gone for nothing but - but - nothing!!!

it deflated like a sock full of sand as soon as it hit the water

might have just as well flushed it down the toilet

brown sand beach

better than a seawall

just to name a few

13. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

In other words, you don't think this works? We were told that Longboat Key and Vero Beach (1st installation in 1988) were "successes". Give me more info...I need to be informed and armed.

14. hi n dry

hi n dry Beach Lover

I am going to go listen to 3 beach preservation/restoration experts speak this Thursday. This is open to the public.

SWCC October Public Forum

October 20th
    South Walton Library
    7:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.

*?Defending Our Shorelines From Storm Events- *Beaches, Dunes and Wetlands?

Three speakers: Two wetland and coastal scientists
    and one coastal engineer.

They are William F. DeBusk, wetlands scientist, Taylor Kirschenfeld, marine biologist and wetlands scientist, and David McGhee, coastal engineer.

They will be discussing the important role of beaches, dunes and wetlands in dissipating storm surge and controlling water pollution.

*All of the speakers work in our area and have participated in helping communities promulgate beach and wetland conservation and restoration plans.

15. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

I hope to join in on this as well. Depends on when HMM flies in to VPS.

16. Beach Runner

Exactly! Someone gets it! I teach a course in this. It is very thought provoking for my students.

As far as special characters go, launch Word, do Insert/Symbol, pick the desired character, and copy and paste it into the post. There might be an easier way - I've never gotten around to experimenting with HTML character entities (like &ouml; or perhaps :&ouml;: or ?) on this board.

Nevermind. Just tried it. The hexadecimal code works! The code for a lowercase umlaut is &# followed by 246 followed by a semicolon. Go to http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml/entities.html for a list of all of the special characters.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2005
  17. ktmeadows

ktmeadows Beach Fanatic

G?del! Awesome...thanks BR...I've always thought you had to have a special keyboard for the umlauts and similar symbols! :clap_1:

Bet it's a fun course for both the teacher and student. Sounds interesting...I need to check with one of our our local universities to see if they have anything similar!

18. Beach Runner

Rather than a course, read G?del, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid written in 1979 by Douglas R. Hofstadter. He won a Pulitzer prize for it. It demonstrates the connection between math (G?del), Escher (art), and Bach (obviously music). It's heavy reading, so don't try to understand every sentence on the first read.

OOPS! Sorry about the tangent. I'll stop. :lol:

19. SoWalSally

SoWalSally Beach Fanatic

From Walton Sun

Imagine a giant mostacolli tube 30 feet around and 300 feet long and instead of cheese inside, it is full of sand.
    That is what some beachfront residents are installing to protect their houses from future hurricanes.
    Geotubes are long synthetic bags filled with a sand and water mixture. The tubes are buried into damaged dunes and covered with sand to create a new artificial dune.
    ?Some of these homes are literally one storm away from being in the gulf and some have already fallen in,? Joe Edgar, president of Hydraulitall Inc., a Long Island based company who installs Geotubes. Hydraulitall is currently putting in some 750 feet of these tubes east of Ed Walline Beach. When the tubes are filled they can run between 200 to 300 feet in length and are about 5 feet tall, Edgar added.
    A trench is initially dug and the first tube is laid and filled. Then another tube is put on top and slightly behind the first tube tight against the existing dune. Sand is dumped over the entire structure. Although the beach is now overrun with two backhoes and a dump truck the whole project probably won?t take more than two weeks, Edgar said.
    The sand on top of the Geotubes will most likely be washed away if surge from a storm gets high enough, but the tubes will still protect whatever is behind them, Gerry Demers, deputy building official for the Walton County Planning Department, said.
    The dune created by the tubes will form into a natural looking dune and will be environmental friendly allowing vegetation to grow into it. Turtles have also found the new dunes acceptable.
    Geotubes were installed in Galveston, Texas, during turtle season by Hydraulitall. Turtles were found nesting behind the dunes created by Geotubes. Local officials conducted three daily turtle checks to make sure they were not intrusive to turtles, Edgar said.
    Walton County residents have been armoring their beachfront homes to prevent them from falling into the Gulf.
    The county can issue temporary permits to property owners to install Geotubes, seawalls and other armoring structures. Owners have to then apply for a permanent permit from the Department of Environmental Protection within 60 days after completion of their armoring structure, according to Demers. The county has issued over 150 temporary permits.
    If a permanent permit is not granted by DEP homeowners will have to remove their Geotubes.
    Residents in the Gulf Dunes area have opted for Geotubes at a hefty price. Sand has to be trucked in to fill and cover the tubes at a cost of about $30 per yard, Gulf Dune resident Bob Jones said.
    ?We are looking at hundreds of thousands of dollars,? Jones said. He added they will probably need between 10,000 to 15,000 yards of sand to complete the project.
    Jones sees the tubes as the best option residents have to protect their homes from hurricanes. Residents of Gulf Dunes are working with the county and DEP to make sure that their tubes will be environmentally friendly.
    ?We are doing this in the proper way. It will really help the beach and it is friendly with the turtles,? Jones said. ?We?re just trying to save what we have here. I think everybody has a right to protect their property.?

20. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Just wait until the seawalls drift down the beach and slam into the exposed plastic chunks of Geotubes. We will have dirt scattered all over the beach, although no one will probably notice because all of the focus will be on the massive seawall debris and ripped plastic scattered all over the beaches and in the water.