• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
If there had been proper setbacks for building, homes would not be sliding into the Gulf. Grayton and St. Andrews Parks don't need "renourishing". The dunes which protect us from storms have for the most part been mowed down by construction. If you're stupid enough to build too close to the beach, suck it up when your house washes away.

Pumping sand is an expensive and ultimately futile solution. Take a tour of the brown and black sands in Panama City Beach. We were told it would bleach out. Still waiting on that after 10 or so years.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
sdavis said:
I am not a tax and spend guy, but maybe the county and state should think long term, and set aside some of the property taxes from the beach front homes (and maybe a little extra tax on those homes) to plan on defraying some of the cost of dredging and rebuilding the beaches when these big events occur. The dredging after Opal was temporary for 10 years, and needs to be redone. These property values are high because they are gulf front. If there are no houses or lots, there will be No taxes.

The cost for these likely temporary seawalls ain't cheap (currently more than 4 years of equivalent property taxes for a wooden wall alone for every 75' lot). I am a beach front owner, and would like nothing more than to renourish the beach and rebuld the erosion instead of spending the money on the seawalls. Hell, new steps alone already cost enough.

It is going to have to be one way or the other. It would seem like some private/public partnership like that would make everyone happy. Am I crazy?

SoWal beaches have never been dredged.

It does seem like a lot of money is being spent on useless short-term efforts, which could be better spent on long-term efforts. I can completely sympathize, but I believe some gulf front owners are being told (and buying in to) what they want to hear about geotubes and seawalls - that these constructs will help to save them from nature's power. It's looking like a giant swindle. And when presented with facts representing stark reality, the attitude is "well we have to do something, even if it's wrong". I guess that's the American spirit.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
You are asking us crazy people whether or not you are crazy? You definitely must be crazy.

Okay fellow crazy people....just returned from WC Home Owner's meeting. Had a wonderful scientist/inventor, Jay Sample with his product...Protectube. I spoke with him at length and listened to his presentation. I will give his link later, but do some research on your own. Have to run on to renter's meeting....this should be fun. So many people with so many PROBLEMS!!! I am glad I can take the good with the not so good!!! Perfection only exisits at sunset on the beaches of SoWal!!

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
>>Had a wonderful scientist/inventor, Jay Sample with his product...Protectube. I spoke with him at length and listened to his presentation. <<

Did he have a bamboo cane, a plaid jacket, a wagon and start his speech with "Step right up folks!"

No need to research--he said his "invention" will save the beaches....right? (for a pretty high price too, I bet)

On the docket for the next WC meeting: The guy selling Variable Annuities to 90-year-old ladies--don't miss it.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
"Did he have a bamboo cane, a plaid jacket, a wagon and start his speech with "Step right up folks!"

No need to research--he said his "invention" will save the beaches....right? (for a pretty high price too, I bet)

On the docket for the next WC meeting: The guy selling Variable Annuities to 90-year-old ladies--don't miss it."

:roll:

Last edited:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
SHELLY said:
>>Had a wonderful scientist/inventor, Jay Sample with his product...Protectube. I spoke with him at length and listened to his presentation. <<

Did he have a bamboo cane, a plaid jacket, a wagon and start his speech with "Step right up folks!"

On the docket for the next WC meeting: The guy selling Variable Annuities to 90-year-old ladies--don't miss it.

Oh ye of little faith. Wasn't looking for you to personally research this...since it's my money, I'll do it.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I think that is the same guy who spoke an infomercial at the beginning of the White Sand Emergency Meeting. I believe Commissioner Pridgens invited him. I found it very curious that he was allowed to speak on the subject (advertise his product) for 20 minutes at a meeting that was supposed to be about the color of sand being dumped illegally on the beach. Use extreme caution. His product may work :dunno:, but I smell something a little fishy.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
I think that is the same guy who spoke an infomercial at the beginning of the White Sand Emergency Meeting. I believe Commissioner Pridgens invited him. I found it very curious that he was allowed to speak on the subject (advertise his product) for 20 minutes at a meeting that was supposed to be about the color of sand being dumped illegally on the beach. Use extreme caution. His product may work :dunno:, but I smell something a little fishy.

I'd rather not have to be discussing this topic at all, but when I saw the diagram of the loss of dune since Opal...you get concerned. The website for this product is www.advancedcoastaltechnology.com I'll be pursuing this info after the guests leave. He did enlighten a lot of people about seawalls and geotubes. I had enough education from this board to be able to follow along and understand. Thanks to all my educators.

I would like to hear what Seaside heard today and what they are looking at...