• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I was so hoping that somehow this would get vetoed...not even sure it could have been given the way Representative Coley slipped it into the Approp. bill-- talk about legislating for your cronies...this is as bad for Walton County as some of the oil drilling legislation has been IMO, not only for the specifics addressed in this bill; but, more importantly, for the precedent it sets...
Sadly, as is often the case with those not involved, most do not have any idea what beachfront property owners faced in 2005 and the steps some took to make sure they followed the rules as laid down by the various governmental agencies. We, as well as Adagio, White Cliffs and Bella Vita have been requesting some form of settlement of this problem since early 2006. We finally have something. Thanks a lot for the consideration you give those of us who welcome all to our beaches and feel they should be public not private. It is really appreciated, not to mention the amount they are pushing for per linear sq. ft. to compensate for the "take" of habitat on beachfront property. Maybe I should reconsider my long standing support of public beaches and petition my HOA board of directors to put up a fence!

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Andy, you of all people should see constant reminders every time you wander down the long stairs that your neighbors to the West of you sign their beach heavily reminding others that it is their private beach. Not to the point that I've heard of for the Retreat, but signage just the same.

Granted, time has not been kind to your particular beach either in that it has been quite a narrow strip for some time.

It's a sad, divisional issue with good talking points on both sides.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Andy, you of all people should see constant reminders every time you wander down the long stairs that your neighbors to the West of you sign their beach heavily reminding others that it is their private beach. Not to the point that I've heard of for the Retreat, but signage just the same.

Granted, time has not been kind to your particular beach either in that it has been quite a narrow strip for some time.

It's a sad, divisional issue with good talking points on both sides.
Ash, there is no one that decrys the signage and possessiveness of the beach by the neighbors to the West more than I do. That said, many did what they deemed necessary to protect their property and restore the loss of our cliff. We deserve some credit, not derision of some who have absolutely no idea of what transpired during that period. But when the attitude expressed by some, as I said earlier, is so uninformed, it is enough to make one wonder since he's paying all the costs, if public beaches are the way to go. I am just pissed, I have no intention of changing my attitude toward public vs. private beaches. They should all be public.