• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

FoX

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
off the beach
www.thesimpsons.com
Folks - most of the beaches are fine, and if sewage gets in the water it is only during storms, and is quickly dissipated (after all the gulf is one big fish cesspool). BUT - I can't believe that the county and DEP has not required every waterfront property, including bays and bayous to be on sewer.

I would not stay at Gulf Trace or any other area where septics have been uncovered or destroyed. Especially with kids.

Look at this gulf trace pic - there are many septic tanks exposed AGAIN and the drain fields (ie nets full of stryrofoam) are strewn all over the place.

- Talk about people crapping on the beach. :roll:

050712-dennis-278.jpg

cpete

Beach Lover
May 3, 2005
Austin, Tx
My family stayed in Gulf Trace in '04' at "Southern Sons East" the first week of Augest (This year we stayed In Rosemary - third week of June in between Hurricanes and shark attacks). We were thinking about going back to Gulf Trace next year and staying closer to the lake. May think twice with the sewage issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
All new construction is required to hook up if Regional Utilities offers service to the area. Homes that already existed before water/sewer was made available are encouraged and generally offered a reduced price to hook up, but cannot be forced to. Unless something has changed in the last two years, that is.

lurker1

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2005
SoWal
It's a shame that the county allows these septic systems to be replaced. The owners should be ashamed also.

(sorry so long-winded)
I am late to this conversation but hoping to revive it. Would appreciate getting current on the issue (how pervasive?), cause, dangers, parties (public and private), immediate resolution, and long term solution.

I am a long time visitor to SoWal, have purchased in Gulf Trace, was a former lurker on this site, and recent registrant for issues exactly such as this, which are near and dear to my kids, family, and heart.

For those concerned about a return to Gulf Trace, as of Monday 8/1/05 it is again/still spectacular, wide, soft, beautiful, white (small gray) and among the top beaches in the entire area, assuming this issue is resolved.

For now, I hope to shed some light and seek a resolution. I have one or two (possibly misinformed) comments and a couple questions--

1. My understanding is that there is no sewer anywhere in Gulf Trace, beachfront or otherwise, is this true?

2. Also, that Col. Ray (whom I've not met) maintains control of the "homeowner's association," perhaps as long as he's alive? Any one know? If that's the case, and they won't seek or allow sewer, that would mitigate some of the blame of the beachfront owners for septic damage, I suppose.

3. I was not aware that the bags of foam in the above pic (lower right), or apparently the foam littering the neighborhood, are former leach/drain fields! First, what the hell is a styrofoam-bagged drain field? how big could it possibly be? and what is it doing under MY/our beach??

4. Maybe a review of the HOA documents would help. Has anyone on this board ever reviewed them? Why is this neighborhood different than others where the HOA is typically eventually deeded/conveyed to an independent HOA?

5. I am curious about whether and to what extent this issue will impact the ability of any of the beachfront homes destroyed (anybody have a count?) to be repaired or rebuilt. I saw a note in another thread that a commissioner was in favor a relaxing front yard set backs in order to facilitate rebuilds. I don't necessarily disagree, as long as it's applied uniformly, and as long as any other issues (septic??) are satisfactorily addressed by beachfront owner and/or common area owner.

That's enough... Flying right into the storm, as it were, here on my second post.

Thoughts? Info? Help is appreciated.

Moondance

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
There is a meeting with the county next week to try and bring a resolution. I will try to get better info. I was at Little Redfish Lake yesterday and got some photos of the cleanup - a lot of styrofoam in the lake.

Secondhand I hear that Regional Utilities may offer loans to homeowners at low or zero interest as they do at other subdivisions. The difference is that Gulf Trace lines will have to be brought in from 30-A so it will add to homeowners cost. That has been the hangup I guess.

Adjacent property owners will start filing property rights lawsuits against certain parties in Gulf Trace if the issue is not resolved.

Thanks Kurt, look forward to additional info from you and others (would love input from Gulf Trace owners). I understand the issue about getting service from 30A, and that it will be expensive, but that may be a secondary issue.

What if an individual homeowner, beachfront or otherwise, sought sewer but could not get service without common owner concurrence? I'm not sure but suspect an easement might be a necessary prerequisite? Hmmm... eminent domain issue? :dunno:

Also, seems like it needs to be "all or nothing" for the neighborhood to have sewer service, similar to sewer taps at Blue Mountain. I assume, for all the other post-Dennis issues at BMB, that sewer/septic is not one?

For that matter, is sewer/septic an issue in any other community(ies)?

Thanks again,
Moondance

Richard

Beach Comber
Feb 16, 2005
Gulf Trace subdivision is the only subdivision in Walton County on the gulf without a sewer system. Inlet Beach to the east has some homes still on septic systems but they are actively working to install sewer.

James Earl Ray, who maintains the subdisision, has resisted sewer in Gulf Trace and he has been successful because it is a private subdivision. I don't believe there is a HOA. These septic systems were torn apart in hurricane Ivan, tropical storm Arlene and again after hurricane Dennis. Each time the water, the beach sand and the rare coastal dune lakes to the west were contaminated with high bacteria levels. Homes on the beach were condemned after Arlene and Dennis. Septic tank drain field parts contaminated the county to the west and it cost the county a lot of money to clean up these hazards.

Ray's rental company was checking people into homes with out functioning septic systems after tropical storm Arlene. Boy were those renters unhappy when they found out and were forced to move out by the Health Department.

I am told residents of Gulf Trace voted against allowing Regional Utilities to install water and sewer lines. According to the fire department Gulf Trace does not have proper fire hydrants to fight a significant fire. It would have to be done with pumper trucks. That could be a problem. The surrounding communities have been very upset about this situation as they suffer from the contamination. In addition there are many homeowners in Gulf Trace that want water and sewer but they seem to not be in the majority.

Recently the BCC passed a motion to assess any beach front property owner with a septic system that fails during a storm with a proportionate cost of what it costs to clean up their mess. The ordinance is being developed and fine tuned.

Health issues related to bacteria in the water are highly unlikely as the bacteria dissipates relatively quickly in the Gulf but the bacteria in the sand can last for months. Digging in the sand could be a problem. According to an article in USA Today on 7/21/05 the beach can act as a Petri dish for bacteria.

See www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/2005-07-21-bacteria-beaches_x.htm

And this article does not address beaches with septic tanks on them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Richard...Thanks for the information. Is the hold up on proper sewage lines the cost or homeowners digging in their heels? I hope the ordinance gets fine tuned quickly. Maybe a hefty fine would be the nudge needed to help the homeowners realize their money would be better spent on hooking up to sewers. If I was looking on this message board to rent a place, Gulf Trace would not make my long list. Your pic is worth a million words. I also would like to hear from Gulf Trace owners for their comments.

FIRES AND FECES...scary!

Richard

Beach Comber
Feb 16, 2005
The holdup appears to be the majority of homeowners digging in their heels, but I understand for them it's about money. They get their water from three wells in the subdivision and they have no sewer costs. Because their roads are private the county has no right-of-way there. Regional Utilities has offered sewer in the past.