• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Bob said:
The counties involved here need to spend money to protect the public. I thought this would happen awhile back when there were multiple rip current drownings.
I completely disagree. Government is not our baby sitter. I can think of little more intrusive to my enjoyment of the beach than a lifeguard blowing whistles like it's the local public pool.

Swimming in the gulf is not without risk. The county is doing a good job educating people about that, but I do NOT want them playing big brother any more than they already do.

Oldtimer

Beach Lover
Nov 16, 2004
Mississippi Bound
lenzoe said:
I completely disagree. Government is not our baby sitter. I can think of little more intrusive to my enjoyment of the beach than a lifeguard blowing whistles like it's the local public pool.

Swimming in the gulf is not without risk. The county is doing a good job educating people about that, but I do NOT want them playing big brother any more than they already do.

I totally agree with you, "lenzoe"! Keep the government out of our leisure hours. At some point each individual has to be responsible for his own actions. The flags are intrusive enough.

STL Don

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
One form of government intrusion that might be OK would be for them to make it easier for commercial fisherman to hunt sharks--this presumes that some years back Florida made it more difficult which resulted in a higher number of shark attacks (based on something that I read some time back)

Australia has used shark nets for years and years off the Gold Coast (Queensland).
There has been talk of removing them, because they snare more than sharks.
But AFAIK they are still there.

All of life has an element of risk and we do share the ocean as well as dry land with critters other than our selves. Having said that, I well understand that dreadful fear of being eaten alive, and I feel very sorry for the shark victims and their families.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
kurt said:
The other factor that is easy to observe is the lack of June Grass which is usually thick in the water starting in May or June and lasting a few months. We got a lot of sargassum weed this year but no June grass.

I have enjoyed the clean water so much that I completely forgot that the June Grass never rolled in this year.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
lenzoe said:

Then if not goverment, where were the supervising adults? Notice I said in areas of high concentrations of people. When people are massed together in close proximity, it's already a public pool. More people, more problems. Lifeguards along those streches of condo canyons will save lives. An alert lifeguard sitting 8-10 feet up in a chair can spot large things in the water you would not see. I think it's perfectly sane too tell someone swimming at 200 yards to come in. It's just like the intersection needing a traffic light. After a certain number of deaths, folks will not tolerate the outcome.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Oldtimer said:
I totally agree with you, "lenzoe"! Keep the government out of our leisure hours. At some point each individual has to be responsible for his own actions. The flags are intrusive enough.
Flags, instrusive? Don't make me tell the Tsunami joke on you.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Bob said:
Then if not goverment, where were the supervising adults? Notice I said in areas of high concentrations of people. When people are massed together in close proximity, it's already a public pool. More people, more problems. Lifeguards along those streches of condo canyons will save lives. An alert lifeguard sitting 8-10 feet up in a chair can spot large things in the water you would not see. I think it's perfectly sane too tell someone swimming at 200 yards to come in. It's just like the intersection needing a traffic light. After a certain number of deaths, folks will not tolerate the outcome.
I think you will soon, 1-3 yrs, be seeing lifeguards on the Beaches in Walton County. Due to the rip currents that take away so many people, there has been talk about it for some time now at the County level. I am uncertain where the County stands with it. Seems like the TDC was pushing for lifeguards at one time last year. Whale, do you have any thoughts or inside scoop from the TDC??

On a personal note, there are many situations where I would not want a lifeguard blowing a whistle at me, but if I was out in the water with shark approaching me, the lifeguard could toot that whistle and I would be sooo happy. :D

Last edited:

southof30A

Beach Lover
Nov 23, 2004
First of all, could a lifeguard sitting on the beach have seen the shark at 100-250 yards out that started this thread? Could he/she have done anything?

Secondly, my baby (now 14) was raised in this Gulf. We have always respected the Gulf for its many "gifts" (Opal, sharks, jellyfish, Ivan etc.) and we taught her accordingly.

I agree completely with lenzoe who says "I completely disagree. Government is not our baby sitter..."

We have got to watch out for ourselves, our loved ones and understand the risks that we undertake in delving into the undersea world. Paraphrasing another poster who pointed out very well, "once we enter the ocean, we take a dramatic step down the food chain".

I'll take the personal responsibility for my family in lieu of a lifeguard. Question is, who educates (and protects) the tourists?

Status
Not open for further replies.