• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Yahoodie

Beach Lover
Nov 25, 2007
don't know but thought I would add a little more info. He should be more careful I agree.....

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Just going to say that would be a good reason why someone should have to resign to run for their boss's job. There he is out there doing what the taxpayer is PAYING him to do, yet he gets in a chance to campaign. I work for myself and have yet to campaign while on the clock. I guess maybe I am the one that has issues. lol!

Thank you for lending credibility to my original point, as it relates to the Hatch Act Drama with the current sheriff. It has been alleged, and will be proven, that he hired a county attorney and further, paid him out of the county sheriff’s office budget, to do his bidding to eliminate the only qualified candidate, thus far, for 2008. This was done on our time, with our money. This is the real disgrace and it is time for a change in ’08.

As for other prior comments about the number of candidates entering the race, I agree 110%. This is the ONLY reason the current sheriff got re-elected last time, too many candidates, only a few qualified, this leads to splitting the votes and gives the sheriff elect, a chance to actually get re-elected… What could be worse? I’m sure it won’t be long and we’ll see.

I will wait and reserve comment on the candidates, however I am glad to see some productive beginnings of conversation about them. One thing is for certain, we deserve a change, a big change, in ’08.

This county is so far behind in its law enforcement it is ridiculous. Where else can female officers go and get blatantly discriminated against and then fired? What other county sheriff’s office refuses to participate in multi-jurisdictional task forces? What other sheriff’s office has as poor of a relationship with its local fire department (SWFD) as ours? Where else can an evidence custodian go from civilian employee to the Captain of Patrol, almost overnight? (And then right back to evidence custodian once the word got out). Where else does the Lieutenant at the main office not carry a gun, due to only being correction officer certified, not law enforcement certified? Where else do deputies get promoted to Investigations Assignments because they can not make it on the road riding solo on patrol? Rumor Alert: (Female just got or is about to get promoted to Investigations due to being very tentative of answering “hot” or “in progress” calls and other issues with road assignments. Instead of getting proper training or other recourse, she gets a promotion. Just like the female who was promoted to Criminal Investigations, late in ’07, immediately following her return from a suspension due to insubordination). Finally, where else do all the deputies live in fear of loosing their jobs each day, should they bring any of the aforementioned incidents to public light? Right here, in Walton County, Florida. Just ask the next deputy you see.

Oh yeah, any one hear about a driving track being installed in the north end of the county??? :eek: Tax Payer Money.

Last edited:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
and will be proven, that he hired a county attorney and further, paid him out of the county sheriff?s office budget, to do his bidding to eliminate the only qualified candidate, thus far, for 2008. This was done on our time, with our money.

No matter how it came about it was a violation of the law. There is nothing illegal about the highest law enforcement official in the county taking whatever steps he/she deems necessary to stop a violation of the law. I agree there were other motives, but it really does not matter. It is a non-issue to most, because it was a report of a violation of the law.

This county is so far behind in its law enforcement it is ridiculous. Where else can female officers go and get blatantly discriminated against and then fired? What other county sheriff?s office refuses to participate in multi-jurisdictional task forces? What other sheriff?s office has as poor of a relationship with its local fire department (SWFD) as ours? Where else can an evidence custodian go from civilian employee to the Captain of Patrol, almost overnight? (And then right back to evidence custodian once the word got out). Where else does the Lieutenant at the main office not carry a gun, due to only being correction officer certified, not law enforcement certified? Where else do deputies get promoted to Investigations Assignments because they can not make it on the road riding solo on patrol? Rumor Alert: (Female just got or is about to get promoted to Investigations due to being very tentative of answering ?hot? or ?in progress? calls and other issues with road assignments. Instead of getting proper training or other recourse, she gets a promotion. Just like the female who was promoted to Criminal Investigations, late in ?07, immediately following her return from a suspension due to insubordination). Finally, where else do all the deputies live in fear of loosing their jobs each day, should they bring any of the aforementioned incidents to public light? Right here, in Walton County, Florida. Just ask the next deputy you see.

Grab a copy of the latest Dilbert book. The Peter Principle is at work in most major organizations.

Oh yeah, any one hear about a driving track being installed in the north end of the county??? :eek: Tax Payer Money.

It is a government agency, the head of which decided that they needed a driving range. The whole place is operating on tax payer dollars. Was it needed? I am sure the case will be made in the future, but was it wrong? Again, I do not see it. BTW, the whole thing has been covered pretty extensively in local media.

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
In response to the ?Violation of Law? piece, the current sheriff has in turn, violated the law, by using tax payer funds to hire an attorney to investigate one of his competitors in the upcoming election. I really do not think this action falls into his scope of duty as the elected law enforcement official of the county. He is elected to enforce the Law as listed in Florida State Statue and to serve Civil Paperwork. Is a violation of the Hatch Act punishable by arrest or is it only a fine? It is my understanding that it is a Federal Act, is this correct? I do not know, but to answer that, answers the question as to if he was in the right or the wrong. Of course his motive was self serving, what else would you expect?

I don?t care for Dilbert Comics, I?d rather you use your reply to comment on my other points that were raised as it seems you have a fair amount of knowledge when it comes to WCSO.

I am aware of the coverage of the Driving Track; I am just surprised that no one else questions how this was done with out any alternative bidding process, which is common with county funding projects?

Thank you for your time and response.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
[/size][/font]
It is a government agency, the head of which decided that they needed a driving range. The whole place is operating on tax payer dollars. Was it needed? I am sure the case will be made in the future, but was it wrong? Again, I do not see it. BTW, the whole thing has been covered pretty extensively in local media.

You defended this, but were getting upset over a deputy mentioning that he was running for office. While I am opposed to anyone campaigning while on the clock. I don't have a problem with someone mentioning the reason as to why he would not be patroling an area in the future. Was he just supposed to say sure and lie? I guess so that is more politician like. :dunno:

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
No matter how it came about it was a violation of the law. There is nothing illegal about the highest law enforcement official in the county taking whatever steps he/she deems necessary to stop a violation of the law. I agree there were other motives, but it really does not matter. It is a non-issue to most, because it was a report of a violation of the law.

As for this part, I'd be interested to hear what Mr. Beasley has to say about this "Act" and its use, or lack there of, in previous Walton County elections. How does selective enforcement of an obscure act make anything right?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
In response to the ?Violation of Law? piece, the current sheriff has in turn, violated the law, by using tax payer funds to hire an attorney to investigate one of his competitors in the upcoming election. I really do not think this action falls into his scope of duty as the elected law enforcement official of the county. He is elected to enforce the Law as listed in Florida State Statue and to serve Civil Paperwork. Is a violation of the Hatch Act punishable by arrest or is it only a fine? It is my understanding that it is a Federal Act, is this correct? I do not know, but to answer that, answers the question as to if he was in the right or the wrong. Of course his motive was self serving, what else would you expect?

IMO WaltonGOP was simply pointing out that he is enforcing a law. According to the Florida State Constitution the Sheriff is the highest law enforcement at any given time in a county. That being said the Sheriff's department does investigate what would be considered federal crimes, i.e. counterfeit bills, illegal aliens, etc.

I don?t care for Dilbert Comics, I?d rather you use your reply to comment on my other points that were raised as it seems you have a fair amount of knowledge when it comes to WCSO.

I am aware of the coverage of the Driving Track; I am just surprised that no one else questions how this was done with out any alternative bidding process, which is common with county funding projects?

Did the county build it themselves? Then there would be no bidding process.

Thank you for your time and response.

I realize you were waiting for WaltonGOP and you may ignore my comments as needed.

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
I realize you were waiting for WaltonGOP and you may ignore my comments as needed.

No, thank you for posting. I will have to disagree with you on the federal law part. WCSO cannot enforce federal laws, illegal aliens, and counterfeit currency. Those cases get deferred to the appropriate federal agency.

As for the track, I was of the impression that a large scale project should have several competitive bids to ensure the best project is undertaken. Maybe I just expect too much?