• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
I'm not sure that I understand your post, aabsolute.

It sounds as though you think the buyer submitting an offer isn't aware that the lender must approve the price, which is incorrect. Short sales are sold "As-Is" and require the Short Sale Addendum to the Sales Contract to which the buyer must agree to as part of the offer. The buyer is well aware of the short sale when it comes time to write an offer. Also, if a buyer is working with at least a half-smart Realtor, the Realtor has the ability to filter out short sale listings, foreclosures, REOs, etc., or include only short sales, foreclosures, REOs, etc. If you want to know more information about a property than you see on Realtor.com or whatever site you use, ask your Realtor to assist you. If you don't want to play this game with the lender, don't pursue short-sales. It is just that easy.

Regarding your last statement, no, the price is not the payoff in a short sale, if the market value is less. The property must appraise, and the seller would have a deficiency -- that is what a short sale is all about. You seem to be forgetting that if it won't appraise, it won't sell. If there is no deficiency, it is a normal sale.

So if Seller has a mortgage of 865,000 on a property worth about that, income to make payments and assets to cover a deficiency, is this a lender approvable short sale in your experience?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
If the property is worth the amount of the payoff, there would be no deficiency, and thus no short sale.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Am I really making it sound that complicated? If there will be a deficiency (when the seller can not pay the difference between the selling price and the amount owed), it will be a short sale, and it would need to be contingent upon the lender approving the sale.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
I think listing a short sale is pointless because the buyers are aware that the sellers are desperate and will therefore make a low-ball offer expecting the buyers to take whatever is offered. What the buyers won't acknowledge is that if a short sale is approved, it is likely that the bank will require the sellers to sign a promissory note agreeing to pay back the balance of the deficiency. If the deficiency is a large amount, the seller is looking at bankruptcy down the road. Therefore, the seller still needs to sell for a higher price than the buyer wants, and the buyer can wait until the property goes into foreclosure and get their target price anyway.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
I think listing a short sale is pointless because the buyers are aware that the sellers are desperate and will therefore make a low-ball offer expecting the buyers to take whatever is offered. What the buyers won't acknowledge is that if a short sale is approved, it is likely that the bank will require the sellers to sign a promissory note agreeing to pay back the balance of the deficiency. If the deficiency is a large amount, the seller is looking at bankruptcy down the road. Therefore, the seller still needs to sell for a higher price than the buyer wants, and the buyer can wait until the property goes into foreclosure and get their target price anyway.

My understanding is that deficiency judgments are the exception, rather than the rule. Most short sellers are out of funds, so there's little likelihood that they could pay a judgment anyway, and would likely file for bankruptcy. But I'm not in the short-sale trenches; I just read alot. :dunno:

I do question buyers' pursuit of short sales, since short sales will ultimately become foreclosures, and the price (at least the way things are now) would most likely be better for the buyer when that happens, especially since foreclosure inventory seems to be mounting at an accelerated pace. SJ, Bobby J, Joe M - your thoughts??

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
My understanding is that deficiency judgments are the exception, rather than the rule. Most short sellers are out of funds, so there's little likelihood that they could pay a judgment anyway, and would likely file for bankruptcy. But I'm not in the short-sale trenches; I just read alot. :dunno:

I do question buyers' pursuit of short sales, since short sales will ultimately become foreclosures, and the price (at least the way things are now) would most likely be better for the buyer when that happens, especially since foreclosure inventory seems to be mounting at an accelerated pace. SJ, Bobby J, Joe M - your thoughts??

I know the details of a couple of short sale and they've all had at least a partial deficiency judgement.

Am I really making it sound that complicated? If there will be a deficiency (when the seller can not pay the difference between the selling price and the amount owed), it will be a short sale, and it would need to be contingent upon the lender approving the sale.

I understand. I believe that some Realtors may list something as Short at a low price, with the lender approval caveat, in order to help their property gain attention. If they get attention by offering $100,000 to $200,000 below current payoff and get an offer or two they kinda have fish in a barrel while they wait for the lender's kick out. Now the Buyer has invested good will in the property and is probably not in the fairest negotiating position.

I haven't heard anyone say this is against Realtor Ethics.

ClintClint

Beach Fanatic
Jul 2, 2008
Let us face a harsh reality. We, myself included, are reaping what we have sown. The entire real estate industry and consumers alike got drunk on a witch's brew of easy money, corrupt lenders and appraisers, lax regulatory oversight, ratings agencies with conflict of interests, brokers with only commissions in mind, and the bigger fool theory. It was the perfect storm!
It was in fact the Bermuda triangle for ethics and honest dealings. Good people with good intentions entered but soon lost their way. Their moral compass became disoriented and they allowed the intoxication of money to override good judgment.
Ultimately, their money went to money heaven. Millions of people have been hurt, many destroyed. It will take many years to heal but the toothpaste will never be put back in the tube. The lucky people are those that are able to blame others, justly or unjustly, for their misfortune. For it is those that realize their prostitution of their values has self inflicted monetary and self esteem consequences, that will bear the ongoing burden----and rightly so.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Let us face a harsh reality. We, myself included, are reaping what we have sown. The entire real estate industry and consumers alike got drunk on a witch's brew of easy money, corrupt lenders and appraisers, lax regulatory oversight, ratings agencies with conflict of interests, brokers with only commissions in mind, and the bigger fool theory. It was the perfect storm!
It was in fact the Bermuda triangle for ethics and honest dealings. Good people with good intentions entered but soon lost their way. Their moral compass became disoriented and they allowed the intoxication of money to override good judgment.
Ultimately, their money went to money heaven. Millions of people have been hurt, many destroyed. It will take many years to heal but the toothpaste will never be put back in the tube. The lucky people are those that are able to blame others, justly or unjustly, for their misfortune. For it is those that realize their prostitution of their values has self inflicted monetary and self esteem consequences, that will bear the ongoing burden----and rightly so.

...:blink: so, in other words, the baby boomers aren't all going to flood into Florida and buy up all these beach homes and condos???

Bummer.