• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Should Code Enforcement Proactively enforce Walton County Codes?

• Yes

Votes: 35 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 30.0%

• Total voters

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
not true at all. near the bay our neighborhood is filled with oaks of all kinds - young and old, magnolia groves, massive pines, florida holly as big as magnolia trees, cypress trees, many varieties of bay trees and the list goes on forever of mature native trees and plants. we have lived among them for quite some time in fact. while the forest may not be 100 years old in some places, it is mostly mature and filled with beautiful native trees. (you are talking about state owned forest replanted with pines - these are also beautiful in their own way and filled in with native shrub and plants as well. nature reclaims its space when given time and opportunity. I am grateful for the abundance of state preserved land around here).

as I stated before, over the years many lots were stripped bare of huge oaks, magnolias, cypress and all growing around them. the bay area still has pockets of live oaks that were left alone back in the day.

You know the state purchased the 18,000 plus acres of SoWal when the previous group of owners went bankrupt, and the previous owners purchased it from St. Joe, who were tree farmers. Yes, there are other trees, depending on where you are located, but the bulk of that land was planted pine. The state also picked up a considerable amount of land from private land owners also. It depends on where you live.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I understand the County recently took action against the owners of the property located slightly to the west of Sally's By the Sea, who clear cut the entire property, violating County Code. I hear that the County wants to finally, after three years of inaction by the owners to restore the property (actually, they tried planting a few plants, but they died because they didn't water the plants), fine the property owners and get them to restore the vegetation (I'm not sure how one restores 20 year old scrub Oaks.) and they are sending the property owners to Court to let the Court make the judgment.

Shocking, I know. The County actually attempting to enforce the rules.

Those most likely are Sand Oaks, and there's a whole lot more to it than just watering.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Concerning storm water runoff, I went to the last SWMC meeting this month, and questioned the mess the county made with JD Miller Rd. They replied that the astute county engineers refused to cooperate with them, and took over the Mosquito Control Ditches without regard to the effects it would have to the surrounding residents. Storm water is an important issue, that needs SWMC guidance, remembering that it is not only a county funded program, but also a state funded program, that the state requires the guidlines be followed.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Stinky's Fish Camp is on mile marker... ooops 200 Ft. east the Big Blue Dune Allen Sign on 30A. When will they put the lighted mile markers up?

Now I am a bit confused. You say you are for proactive code enforcement, you seem to take pleasure in bringing violations to the attention of code enforcement, but your outside vending operation on Scenic 30-A is prohibited by code from what I understand. So will you be making an anonymous call on yourself or just hoping that a roving patrol does not catch you this weekend?

northender

Beach Comber
Feb 28, 2008
you are very good gordhead!!!:clap:

excellent.

after reviewing this thread, I am truly shocked that code enforcement is currently operating as described here - reactionary. I don't keep up with county government - since moving here over a dozen years ago I went through a period of shock and surprise as to the entire operational mode of county government in general (after living in only municipalities). I know enough to know that we have very slowly made some progress here and there, such as electing a few experienced and qualified BCC commissioners, some organizational improvements, etc. (btw, our county fire and emergency service (SWFD) is outstanding compared to other counties and has been for quite some time - but this is a separate entity / law enforcement is another story).

I can't tell you how many times, while strolling in the neighborhood, we have come across previously heavily wooded large lots in our state forest neighborhood - and seemingly overnight that lot is suddenly completely bare of trees, and filled - it seems such a crime, and perhaps it is, but when those trees are levelled, then its done. and no amount of enforcement will correct it. then comes the FWB lawn, non-native shrubs and plants, the brick home complete with the concrete drive. we will have to live with such unfortunate homes and "improved" lots forever. the resident usually sells after a few years and goes back to FWB or wherever, leaving us with their brick home sitting on a filled lot with no trees.. (fortunately most residents here have not done this, but quite a few have - and some have done it with full county approval/permitting.

bring on the enforcers. now!

do you think your lot has been cleared sence the beginning of time? I'm sure they had to clear and fill your lot before they built your home. sounds to me you want your cake but don't want anyone else to have the same thing. Just my opinion.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
do you think your lot has been cleared sence the beginning of time? I'm sure they had to clear and fill your lot before they built your home. sounds to me you want your cake but don't want anyone else to have the same thing. Just my opinion.

My opinion too! It's been a frustrating issue, I remember when their house wasn't here at all, just virgin land. Why is it ok for them to have their house, but no one else?

Now I am a bit confused. You say you are for proactive code enforcement, you seem to take pleasure in bringing violations to the attention of code enforcement, but your outside vending operation on Scenic 30-A is prohibited by code from what I understand. So will you be making an anonymous call on yourself or just hoping that a roving patrol does not catch you this weekend?
Maybe this will help. I do not have an outside vending operation. I do not vend on weekends. My business was closed down by code enforcement in Oct, due to a violation complaint from Toni's Farmers Marker (Ray Wheeler). Even though I was on private property. Thats when I started seeing the inconsistant practices of code enforcement.i.e. not enforcing sign codes, not having thier own building up to code, not enforcing codes on county signs, etc. The thread you read was probably posted in Oct. before I was closed down for vending on a scenic corridor that was not even an official S.C. at the time.
To take away any confusion, I do not violate any codes, I file complaints when I see them because I know they will not be addressed if I don't.
Maybe if C.E. were proactive I wouldn't have to file complaints, they might notice them on their own. Also getting out of the office once in a while may do them some good. As far as the anonymous complaint on myself,even if I was a code violator,I couldn't turn myself in anonymously, they do not take anonymous complaints. IMO that is to discourage citizen complaints,so they don't have to work as hard. And yes, I do take pleasure in visiting code enforcement to file complaints.
The ladies at the front desk are very nice.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I've seen Tootsie's house and yard, and I can say that it is a hidden gem, which you cannot see from the road due to all of the native vegetation which they left intact. There is an extreme difference in one clear cutting the entire property and clearing out a portion of the property to build a house. No one is point fingers to the people clearing out building footprints, as long as they are following the rules (not everyone follows the rules ;-)). We are talking about the people who clear cut the entire property, which not only removes all of the native vegetation, but also increases storm water runoff and increases erosion. Tootsie isn't trying to have her cake and eat it too.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
As an FYI, the County is considering taking anonymous complaints for Code violations, along with some proactive patrolling.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
[q11uote=florida girl;364867]I think if that happens, we'll be living in a police state![/quote]
BS!!! No "police state" about it. Just better "policing" of needed code requirements.