• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rebelprincess06

Beach Comber
May 9, 2007
Today my friend and myself went to have a nice lunch at the smiling fish cafe. We orderd the special( angus beef and potatoes and mushrooms.) We got a small piece of steak with 4 squishy potato dumplings,raw peas it was $17.00 each.My two year old eats more than that.We also got lemonaid's they were $2.50 each with out a refill.Our total was around $50.00. We decided we were still hungry,so we went back to the front to get a slamon blt wrap, and the man who appeared to be incharge,acted insulted that we were still hungry.He was insisting we have it to go.We repeated that we wanted to eat it in the resturant.He told us to have a seat and they would bring our change.They brought our change and said togo right?????ummmmm....no we clearly stated we wanted to eat it there.The sad thing is We BOTH LIVE here and they were so rude about it, if anything they should have been fine that we were actully dumb enough to give them more money for LESS food. It was our loss untill the man incharge decided to be a rude ass.Excuse my language.I just don't want anyone else to go there and feel unwelcome,ripped off and hungry when you leave.:nono1:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Although a person can complain about prices everywhere in SoWal, I've never heard anything but raves about the food there, and I have always thought it was excellent myself with ample portions. If you search for "Smiling Fish" on these forums you'll read nothing but good reports.

Was this your first time there? Also you make the point that you live here. Just curious to know if you expect better treatment than visitors to our area?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
What you described is the antithesis of my usual dining experience at Smiling Fish!

My office orders lunch from there about once a week and not only are the portions so big that we can't finish them and we get sleepy at our desks, they are very accomodating w/ our special requests (side salad instead of fries, allergies etc.)

Worst experience I've ever had there was when they forgot the side horseradish sauce for my shrimp basket so had to go without.

Perhaps your attitude had something to do with it?

Last edited:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
I went there just for dessert one night and I could have eaten their whiskey bread pudding for dinner the portion was so large.
We were treated extremely well and were only having dessert and coffee.
Our waitress was very sweet and kept refilling my coffee as soon as it got a little low.

TN2FLA

Beach Lover
Jan 12, 2006
Dune Allen
service has always been good there in my opinion...they get a little bogged down right at peak lunch sometimes, but nothing major
and the portions are always large

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Today my friend and myself went to have a nice lunch at the smiling fish cafe. We orderd the special( angus beef and potatoes and mushrooms.) We got a small piece of steak with 4 squishy potato dumplings,raw peas it was $17.00 each.My two year old eats more than that.We also got lemonaid's they were $2.50 each with out a refill.Our total was around $50.00. We decided we were still hungry,so we went back to the front to get a slamon blt wrap, and the man who appeared to be incharge,acted insulted that we were still hungry.He was insisting we have it to go.We repeated that we wanted to eat it in the resturant.He told us to have a seat and they would bring our change.They brought our change and said togo right?????ummmmm....no we clearly stated we wanted to eat it there.The sad thing is We BOTH LIVE here and they were so rude about it, if anything they should have been fine that we were actully dumb enough to give them more money for LESS food. It was our loss untill the man incharge decided to be a rude ass.Excuse my language.I just don't want anyone else to go there and feel unwelcome,ripped off and hungry when you leave.:nono1:

The only complaint I have is the type and color of your font. Thanks for the migrane. You also might want to look up the definition of the word "paragraph."

reelgirl

Beach Comber
Dec 26, 2006
Just because you don't agree with what someone has to say does not mean one has to insult or make "rude comments..."

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
There was a time when I didn't enjoy Smiling Fish's food. However, for a couple of years now, I have been pleased with my lunches there. I think we are seeing so many good posts about Smiling Fish, because most people are consistently pleased with portion, taste, and service. It doesn't mean that you didn't experience what you say, but on a regular basis, Smiling Fish is great, so maybe this was a fluke. Typically, there is a sweet lady running the register and taking orders. You refer to a guy giving you a hard time, so maybe he was someone filling in for the day, and not happy to be there.

BTW, here is a tip for eating at restaurants:
Never order a steak special with taters at a restaurant with "Fish" in the name. ;-)

rebelprincess06

Beach Comber
May 9, 2007
I have had lunch there tons of times.It has always been excellent.Today was just diffrent.I did not expect to be treated diffrently because I live here,I was just making note of the fact that i was not a rude tourist.I was just stopping in with my friend for lunch and wanted her to try it out.It just didnt end up as expected.The man may have possibly not wanted to be there,that is mostly likley a true statement.I was just surprised to not have the same experence as all the time before,and let down my friend was dissapointed.I wanted her to see where my previous bragging had came from.I will have to say that my final thought is that everyone has a bad day here and there.And to me today was their bad day.