So.. how are things looking one week after Dennis?

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by amylouky, Jul 18, 2005.

1. pmiller

pmiller Beach Crab

Hello everybody. I am new to this forum. How does Seagrove look? I was sent an aerial photo of the Motel and villas where my family always stays and it looked like the bluff is eroded all the way up to the patio doors! Has anybody out there been there the last few days? We have a trip planned for October but that photo scared me.

Thanks for any info.

2. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

Hey Buddy....glad you finally found the forum!!! It does not look good for the Villas. I am going to call the Motel today and see what the word is. I think you should still go if you can, in October....I wish I could!!!

3. kathydwells

Hey, pmiller, I just talked to Debbie at the Villas. She said the E building is closed right now because it is so close to the drop-off. There is no beach access right now either. She said the building itself is fine, and hopefully it should be re-opened by October. The number directly to the Motel is
    850-231-1947. You might want to check with them the closer it gets to October! Hope this helps!!!!

4. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Seagrove Beach, Dennis + 2 weeks

[​IMG]

5. seagrovefan

seagrovefan Beach Comber

Beautiful! This is the Seagrove I remember from previous trips. Does anyone know if the beach access across from Cassine Garden is up?

6. kathydwells

Beautiful picture kurt!!! Looks so good. Amazing what 2 weeks and mother nature can do!!! Thanks for posting!!!

7. Denise

Denise Beach Comber

There is an access open to the east of One Seagrove Place - public access.

8. amylouky

amylouky Beach Lover

Thank you Kurt! What a happy picture.
    It is SOOO wonderful to see that beautiful green water again. :clap_1:
    Especially since we're at T - 3 weeks and counting! See ya soon!

9. wetwilly

wetwilly Beach Fanatic

Great pic Kurt. Just thought owners and others (renters) planning to come down post Dennis might want to hear what a current renter said about the condition of Seagrove this week. They said that they are very happy about their decision to come down to Seagrove just 2 weeks after a major storm.

Her exact words from the email she sent me were..."there are very few signs that a major hurricane blew through here just a few weeks ago...".

The Eastern Lake access west side of the lake is open with steps down to the sand and the lake channel out to the gulf has been trenched and moved east to allow people access to the gulf (and to allow for backfill/repair for a few houses undermined).

We all know the damage that was caused (see pictures from 2 weeks ago)and this is not to say there wasn't any damage or affects but for renters wondering as to whether to go down for their planned week/stay it might help in the decision.

After alot of hard work and a short period of time, the area seems to be recovering well.

:welcome:

10. Linda

Linda Beach Fanatic

Thanks for the picture Kurt! Dennis knocked out my plans to come down in July so I'm coming down August 12th. This desperate housewife from Kentucky can't wait!!!!

11. katie blue

katie blue kt loo

Hi everyone-
    Here in SoWal this week, the beach looks so good right now! Come on down! Emerald green water as clear as can be and about the color of jade glass. The sand is coming back onto the shore. Yes, the dunes are pretty cut up, but there's enough sea and sand to keep your eyes filled with beauty. I wasn't sure it would be looking so nice only 2 weeks after Dennis. I'm so happy. Lawdie, I love this place.

12. Seahorse

Seahorse Beach Comber

Katmoo is so right. We're here too and to me the beach looks the best it has all summer, with the exception of course being the dunes. Tons of new sand, just a little of that grass that Kurt was talking about on another thread and the water is the clearest and greenest I've seen it since almost Feb. Everyone should be here now!

13. Linda

Linda Beach Fanatic

I'll be there in 2 weeks - can't wait!

14. Kurt Lischka

Blue Mountain Beach access today

[​IMG]

15. KY oyster eater

KY oyster eater Beach Lover

The anticipation of heading down to Seagrove next Friday is killing me! Glad to hear all is returning to normal since all the storms. What about the local Golf Courses? Did any sustain any major damage? Any help and local knowledge on pricing and the most "bang for my buck" would be extremely helpful. Any web links would be equally welcome. We plan on playing a couple of rounds and hopefully the weather will be conducive to an enjoyable round or three. Great to see a bunch of Louisvillians have the same taste and make Seagrove their vacation spot also. We are from Jeffersontown and can't wait to get all 9 of us down there! Thanks, B.K. :clap_1:

16. Kurt Lischka

None of the courses are damaged. There is another thread with some opinions on golf:
    http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php?t=691&highlight=golf
    Post specific requests on that thread and maybe we can get some more input on it.

And a list of courses here:
    http://graytonbeach.com/golf.html

17. CastlesOfSand

CastlesOfSand Beach Fanatic

Hi everyone! This is my first post, although I've been lurking for awhile Kurt!! lol !! We just got home from SoWal last week. (Picked up my sticker too, while I was there). We had a fabulous time on the beaches! Beautiful as always! The water was great! We'll be back at the end of September!! Thanks for all the info, this is a great site. If anyone has any doubts of whether to go or not... I suggest you go!! :cool:

18. Kurt Lischka

:welcome:

What was your favorite thing?

19. CastlesOfSand

CastlesOfSand Beach Fanatic

That's a tough one!!! Just being on 30-A makes me happy! But.... sitting on Seagrove beach with a cold beverage, watching the waves and listening to them crash was pure heaven! Oh, and toes in the squeaky white sand!! :cool: We enjoyed hunting for shells too! We found some nice ones! This trip we were total beach bums!!

20. Kurt Lischka

Excellent :bow: