• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

lazin&drinkin

Beach Lover
Apr 13, 2010
Commissioner Comander was not initially for the fix until after some of the other board members and audience members started to explain of the conditions. She talked about the house she lives in and how old the carpets were. Although I like Commissioner Comander, living in a house that you chose to not upgrade is not the same as living in a structure that houses multiple folks who work for you and has issues you are responsible for. I also believe Mr Flynt was incorrect on the amount for the MSBU for the fire tax. I believe the number is in the 350 to the 375 range. I would also like to know what the difference between the fire budget portion and the EMS portion of the budget is? Even if the County charged the full 375 MSBU which is what I think it is, the budget would be less that what they currently have unless it is supplemented with EMS moneys.

Bob,

I believe you will find that the BCC increased the MSBU for NWFD to $75 several years ago. It concomitantly approved an upper limit that it could use in the years since that was in the range of $350 or so, but I think you will find that the one time increase from 25 a year to 75 a year has not changed since that day. Property owners in North Walton pay about 8.6% of the budget via the MSBU. 90% or so of the balance of abut 9.3 mil comes from South Walton. This disparity is grossly inequitable, and the fault lies with the BCC.

The BCC broke this system in the mid-90s, pledging at the time to increase the MSBU incrementally on an annual basis until the fees collected were 100% of the cost. The increase a few years back was the first and only increase in that fee. While there are many in North Walton who would be hard-pressed to pay any significant increase in the MSBU, there are many in North Walton who could and should bear a more equitable share of the burden. Several of those latter spoke publicly against raising the MSBU several years ago, then drove away from the Courthouse in $60,000+ pickups and SUVs.

This can has been kicked down the road for nearly a quarter century. Hold your breath for the BCC doing anything constructive about it in this lifetime. Melanie Nipper has done a good service in bringing the bad conditions to the attention of the BCC. I hope she and Mr. Anderson as the new guys on board will push the Establishment Old Guard to disapprove of $6,000 desks for any Commissioners and establish better priorities for the use of our tax dollars that that and paying huge sums for indefensible lawsuits. Better leadership than we have had is sorely needed. The desk and grant monies of 50k for Cecilia's office are unconscionable and irresponsible expenditures of tax dollars. Ask the North Walton Firefighters if they agree. I hope you do, and will raise your voice against such gratuitous waste.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
Speaking of gratuitous waste...

C. Jones paid Jason Catalano $3000.00 (at one time her secretary, then code enforcement, currently Planning Board) because he had a pool contractors license and could sign the pool permits for 2 $120 thous dollar splash-pads in County parks. I'm sorry but this isn't about the children or the parks they play in.

This is about spending tax money wisely. If roads, bridges and infrastructure are in place which, they are not in SoWal, then take care of kiddie parks later.

First Responder & EMS put their lives on the line for the people of Walton County on a daily basis and they deserve to be treated better than current conditions indicate.

Last edited:

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
Walton County Board of County Commissioners meeting Jan. 10 at South Walton Annex. Among items on the regular meeting agenda are an update on Walton County Fire Rescue (WCFR) renovations and draft request for qualifications (RFQ) for study of oversight transfer of WCFR to the Walton County Sheriff's Office. 4 PM.
-----------------------------------------

As Teresa pointed out this is a NoWal issue (the great divide bothers me to no end) yet, all the meetings where this issue has been discussed have been in SoWal. Why is that?

At the Dec. 27, 2016 BCC meeting in NoWal, Deputy Administrator Stan Sunday mentioned some upgrades that were underway and mentioned a "Committee" that have gone to the stations to document and address the most pressing issues BUT when asked by BCC Chair Melanie Nipper to name the members of this "Committee" Stan Sunday refused to name them publicly telling Ms. Nipper he would "send her an email".

Well Mr. Stan Sunday, there are NO secrets in County Government and it seems the Foxes are guarding the hen house. The very people responsible for the problems that have been kicked down the road for years make up the Committee...Stan Sunday himself, Bobby Martin Fire Chief, Sara Comander BCC and facility maintenance Jr. Nance.

Estimated Total Costs - $130,893.00
FY2016 Funds - $57,000.00
Needed Funds - $73,893.00 (Not including $25,000.00 feasibility study)

Does it need to be pointed out again that if the BCC avoided frivolous lawsuits that cost the taxpayers in excess of $175,000.00 things might actually get done in this County?

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Walton County Board of County Commissioners meeting Jan. 10 at South Walton Annex. Among items on the regular meeting agenda are an update on Walton County Fire Rescue (WCFR) renovations and draft request for qualifications (RFQ) for study of oversight transfer of WCFR to the Walton County Sheriff's Office. 4 PM.
-----------------------------------------

As Teresa pointed out this is a NoWal issue (the great divide bothers me to no end) yet, all the meetings where this issue has been discussed have been in SoWal. Why is that?

At the Dec. 27, 2016 BCC meeting in NoWal, Deputy Administrator Stan Sunday mentioned some upgrades that were underway and mentioned a "Committee" that have gone to the stations to document and address the most pressing issues BUT when asked by BCC Chair Melanie Nipper to name the members of this "Committee" Stan Sunday refused to name them publicly telling Ms. Nipper he would "send her an email".

Well Mr. Stan Sunday, there are NO secrets in County Government and it seems the Foxes are guarding the hen house. The very people responsible for the problems that have been kicked down the road for years make up the Committee...Stan Sunday himself, Bobby Martin Fire Chief, Sara Comander BCC and facility maintenance Jr. Nance.

Estimated Total Costs - $130,893.00
FY2016 Funds - $57,000.00
Needed Funds - $73,893.00 (Not including $25,000.00 feasibility study)

Does it need to be pointed out again that if the BCC avoided frivolous lawsuits that cost the taxpayers in excess of $175,000.00 things might actually get done in this County?
With regards to who is on the committee, whether we like them or not, it is a move in the right direction. I am sure the Fire/ Rescue members will let it be known if things are not moving in the right direction as for the facility upgrades/ renovations. So as not to be biased there were 2 members of the previous BCC who are just as accountable for those conditions that exist today and to give credit to Chief Martin, he told the BCC in the meeting where the consolidation with WCSO was brought up, that he had requested funding for a multitude of items and had been turned down. That took a lot, imo, to call out your bosses seeing he is an at will employee. I would be more interested in why Commissioner Nipper wasn't selected?

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
With regards to who is on the committee, whether we like them or not, it is a move in the right direction. I am sure the Fire/ Rescue members will let it be known if things are not moving in the right direction as for the facility upgrades/ renovations. So as not to be biased there were 2 members of the previous BCC who are just as accountable for those conditions that exist today and to give credit to Chief Martin, he told the BCC in the meeting where the consolidation with WCSO was brought up, that he had requested funding for a multitude of items and had been turned down. That took a lot, imo, to call out your bosses seeing he is an at will employee. I would be more interested in why Commissioner Nipper wasn't selected?

Make no mistake Mr. Wells, I completely understand this is a past and present BCC problem...8 years past!

I'm also having difficulty with "appalling living conditions", "black mold", "maintenance issues", "health problems associated with all the above" and I'm not for one minute blaming actual firefighters or EMS.

Beyond that, you and I both know if the State Fire Marshall were brought in here to do inspections on those facilities and equipment, conditions that exist in the worst of those stations would fail inspections miserably regardless of how much paint, caulking and vinyl is used to put a band aid on the problem. I won't even comment on the safety issues, I'll leave that to the folks who actually have to use the equipment.

You tell us why Melanie Nipper or even T. Anderson for that matter, weren't selected? My guess...both admitted at public meetings conditions were appalling and needed more than band-aids to fix. Not very popular opinions to have when the BCC has historically refused to address the problems is it? I did support Melanie Nipper and admittedly, I am NOT a T. Anderson fan but I'll give the devil his due, BOTH went out on a limb for stations North of the Bay!

As for moving Fire/EMS under the Sheriff (of the 2 who have firefighter/EMS support) let's watch and see who backtracks first.

I could also have expounded on the failures of Stan Sunday when he ran the jail or why he is really no longer with the WCSO and the current job that was created just for him in County Government but suffice it to say he wasn't the best choice for running the jail either.

We have a great history of recycling though. ;)

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
"Fire Rescue under the sheriff's office would be significantly different in both practice and substance," Walton County Sheriff Michael Adkinson said. "I expect a high level of professionalism and a commitment to being the best."

By Deborah Wheeler | 315-4432 | @WaltonSunDeb | dwheeler@waltonsun.com
DeFUNIAK SPRINGS - At the last Walton County Board of County Commissioners meeting, Commissioner Melanie Nipper proposed that the North Walton Fire District be moved under the control of the Walton County Sheriff's Office.

Sheriff Michael Adkinson said recently he was somewhat surprised by the suggestion when first approached by commissioners and firefighters.

"The important thing for me is to make sure that as we consider this, that it improves the quality of service to the citizens and staff," Adkinson said. "The obvious difference between the board's supervision and the Sheriff's Office is that the board has multiple responsibilities competing for time, attention and resources. They build roads, determine zoning, codify planning and attend to the various responsibilities of governance.

"At the sheriff's office, we are in the business of public safety. So, like the fire department, we strive for one team, one mission."

However, Adkinson said he does not want to mislead anyone.

"Fire Rescue under the sheriff's office would be significantly different in both practice and substance. I expect a high level of professionalism and a commitment to being the best," he said.

As an example. he said all sheriff's deputies are subject to mandatory physical fitness assessments, a no-tobacco policy, background checks and polygraph examinations.

"All new firefighters would be subject to the same expectations," he said. "There would be an increased emphasis on professional training. I will demand a lot, and in return we will provide a venue for continued professional growth and improvement of service delivery."

Adkinson said he has spent time talking with experts such as South Walton Fire District's Chief Rick Talbert and former Pensacola Fire Chief Russell Beaty.

"Half of all knowledge is knowing where to find it," he said. "Citrus and Broward counties both currently oversee fire rescue in their respective counties and have a fantastic track record of improving performance."

www.newsherald.com/news/20170108/walton-sheriff-mulls-taking-over-fire-district

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Like anything, especially in government, until a problem is illuminated for all to see it is rarely seen. That being said I am willing to see what those folks do, and hopefully it is addressed in a timely manner. I appreciate that the Commisioners have made what appears to be a commitment to addressing this issue and Mr Fletcher for making it a talking point during his campaign.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
Like anything, especially in government, until a problem is illuminated for all to see it is rarely seen. That being said I am willing to see what those folks do, and hopefully it is addressed in a timely manner. I appreciate that the Commisioners have made what appears to be a commitment to addressing this issue and Mr Fletcher for making it a talking point during his campaign.

I think the residents of North Walton deserve the same level of services as those enjoyed by South Walton. Admittedly, there is no funding for brand new buildings (I get that) but is doesn't mean those stations can't be professionally run. The County has had years to bring up standards, utilize safety training tips and tools, implement adequate training and equipment and address ongoing safety issues but the reality is, it's not their job. Their job is to oversee the running of Government and they can't even manage that successfully.

Again my whole point was and is, that we can spend millions on frivolous lawsuits using taxpayer money to defend NOT OPERATING in the Sunshine but the County can not, has not, and for whatever reason will not put taxpayer money to good use. If the County can't get the job done in 10 + years then perhaps its beyond time to turn it over to someone who can!

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I think the residents of North Walton deserve the same level of services as those enjoyed by South Walton. Admittedly, there is no funding for brand new buildings (I get that) but is doesn't mean those stations can't be professionally run. The County has had years to bring up standards, utilize safety training tips and tools, implement adequate training and equipment and address ongoing safety issues but the reality is, it's not their job. Their job is to oversee the running of Government and they can't even manage that successfully.

Again my whole point was and is, that we can spend millions on frivolous lawsuits using taxpayer money to defend NOT OPERATING in the Sunshine but the County can not, has not, and for whatever reason will not put taxpayer money to good use. If the County can't get the job done in 10 + years then perhaps its beyond time to turn it over to someone who can!
My point was and is the condition of the stations. I have not expressed my opinion one way or another on the issue of the Sheriff Department running WCFR. If that is what the members of that department want then look at it, see if it is something that is feasible. I would hate for this to be a political football as some of the operations that have been in the past. I am also of the opinion that it will really make no difference who runs it as part of the problem is funding. If the County isn't willing or able to fund it we run into the same problem in spite of who runs it. I believe management may improve efficiency but if you are under funded you can only make up so much.