• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
My point was and is the condition of the stations. I have not expressed my opinion one way or another on the issue of the Sheriff Department running WCFR. If that is what the members of that department want then look at it, see if it is something that is feasible. I would hate for this to be a political football as some of the operations that have been in the past. I am also of the opinion that it will really make no difference who runs it as part of the problem is funding. If the County isn't willing or able to fund it we run into the same problem in spite of who runs it. I believe management may improve efficiency but if you are under funded you can only make up so much.

So you're not interested in professional services for North Walton just band-aid fixes?

I'll grant you that if citizens in NoWal only want band-aid fixes that's all they are going to get and if it continues in the current vein, we wont have ANY Firefighters or EMT's willing to do the job. They will continually move on just as they have been doing to better well run departments.

The other point I'm trying to make and I feel you keep making light of is, that these departments need professional training and equipment to do the job!

$175,000.00 would have helped substantially. Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely proud of Suzanne Harris for everything she's accomplished but NOT so much in County Government.

Most residents living South of the Bay will agree...County Government sucks.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
So you're not interested in professional services for North Walton just band-aid fixes?

I'll grant you that if citizens in NoWal only want band-aid fixes that's all they are going to get and if it continues in the current vein, we wont have ANY Firefighters or EMT's willing to do the job. They will continually move on just as they have been doing to better well run departments.

The other point I'm trying to make and I feel you keep making light of is, that these departments need professional training and equipment to do the job!

$175,000.00 would have helped substantially. Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely proud of Suzanne Harris for everything she's accomplished but NOT so much in County Government.

Most residents living South of the Bay will agree...County Government sucks.
First let me reiterate, I live in Freeport so my services are important to me. Second, I am more than willing to pay for the services. Third, it still comes down to funding. You can go with the Sheriff's department but if the funding does not change, efficiency through management will only make up so much. Fourth, tell me exactly what training they should recieve? Most training is done at the station or company level for firefighters. The WCFR has a few props that are used for fire training, one being a rolling burn building, they also have a forcible entry props and I believe they also have a car fire training prop. Now if you believe they need a training chief to recieve the "Professional Training" then say that. The place I work uses a committee of professionals, all employees, for our training and currently we don’t have a training chief. EMS training is offered, where I work, via online and classroom opportunities. There are also opportunities located in our community for continuing EMS education. Sacred Heart provides some of the opportunities as does FWB Medical Center and there is a couple of conferences in the area for Medical Professional like Emergency Medical Technician and Paramedic. For outside conferences for firefighters, there is the Atlanta Fire Conference, Orlando Fire Conference, Highrise Conference in Pensacola and recently a group called All In Fire brought a class to WCFR. As for equipment, let's define the need. Depending on what you purchase, the Self Contained Breathing apparatus that WCFR has is the MSA, with either a 45 min or 60 min bottle, I am not sure. Currently where I work we use 30 min bottles. Depending on the fire apparatus you want, commercial or custom will depend on what you pay. A new custom pumper can cost 300000 to 500000, a ladder truck can easily exceed a million dollars. Let's discuss safety, NFPA standards say you really shouldn't operate with less than 4 on an engine, also you have a 2 in 2 out rule for safety. I can assure you I have not taken lightly anything, I feel I have a vested interested, I have family and friends that are part of that department. In the end and to conclude, tomorrow is a new day and hopefully there is some positive changes coming for the members of WCFR. Where I work did not change overnight, and I have been there 22 years and we are still a work in progress.

Last edited:

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
First let me reiterate, I live in Freeport so my services are important to me. Second, I am more than willing to pay for the services. Third, it still comes down to funding. You can go with the Sheriff's department but if the funding does not change, efficiency through management will only make up so much. Fourth, tell me exactly what training they should recieve? Most training is done at the station or company level for firefighters. The WCFR has a few props that are used for fire training, one being a rolling burn building, they also have a forcible entry props and I believe they also have a car fire training prop. Now if you believe they need a training chief to recieve the "Professional Training" then say that. The place I work uses a committee of professionals, all employees, for our training and currently we don’t have a training chief. EMS training is offered, where I work, via online and classroom opportunities. There are also opportunities located in our community for continuing EMS education. Sacred Heart provides some of the opportunities as does FWB Medical Center and there is a couple of conferences in the area for Medical Professional like Emergency Medical Technician and Paramedic. For outside conferences for firefighters, there is the Atlanta Fire Conference, Orlando Fire Conference, Highrise Conference in Pensacola and recently a group called All In Fire brought a class to WCFR. As for equipment, let's define the need. Depending on what you purchase, the Self Contained Breathing apparatus that WCFR has is the MSA, with either a 45 min or 60 min bottle, I am not sure. Currently where I work we use 30 min bottles. Depending on the fire apparatus you want, commercial or custom will depend on what you pay. A new custom pumper can cost 300000 to 500000, a ladder truck can easily exceed a million dollars. Let's discuss safety, NFPA standards say you really shouldn't operate with less than 4 on an engine, also you have a 2 in 2 out rule for safety. I can assure you I have not taken lightly anything, I feel I have a vested interested, I have family and friends that are part of that department. In the end and to conclude, tomorrow is a new day and hopefully there is some positive changes coming for the members of WCFR. Where I work did not change overnight, and I have been there 22 years and we are still a work in progress.

"NFPA standards say you really shouldn't operate with less than 4 on an engine, also you have a 2 in 2 out rule for safety."

How's that working out for the firefighters in the north end? Not very well! That is a safety issue and not one I brought up but since you did why not expound on how it's currently being done. That should get somebody's attention. Isn't there also supposed to be an EMS vehicle and EMS support at each location?

I believe they need a Chief who is a trained firefighting professional but they cost money as well. Given what else I know, I think whoever is in the position of Fire Chief should be focused on the men and women that make up WC Fire/Rescue...and extracurricular activities should be put aside.

We are in complete agreement what's needed in the north end is going to require more money but again, the County hasn't even tried to apply for grants that would assist in the purchases nor have they even done incremental increases in taxes to offset those costs as discussed previously. Hell, they couldn't and wouldn't even come up with money for paint, chalking and vinyl until they were made to look like fools.

The BCC managed to ram a tax down our throats to expand the 331 bridge (yes it was needed) so folks could get to the goose that laid the golden egg and while it may not be popular to raise taxes, sometimes you have to do what's in the best interests of everyone's health and well being especially if BCC is charged (or taken it upon themselves) to ensure those services are available. Fire & Rescue being key among those things.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
When we responded with 2 people our Standard Operating Guidelines were to wajt for the appropriate personnel to arrive before making interior fire attack. As for ambulances they should/could be dispatched at same time as fire units.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
When we responded with 2 people our Standard Operating Guidelines were to wajt for the appropriate personnel to arrive before making interior fire attack. As for ambulances they should/could be dispatched at same time as fire units.

So let it burn and have people die until help arrives? Gotcha!

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
This was reported by WZEP Jan. 3, 2017

NORTH WALTON FIRE/RESCUE AND WALTON COUNTY SHERIFF RESPONDING TO SOUTH WALTON & HOLMES COUNTY
South Walton and Holmes County requesting assistance from neighboring districts. North Walton Fire/Rescue and Walton County Sheriff responding, along with other agencies. Please be careful as all Emergency Resources are stretched thin.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
There are/were caveats, one of which when there was an opportunity to save a life you could make entry. I have been doing this jobt for over 28 years and when I started it was not unusual to fightfire with an Engine Couple. When I started in my current position over 22 years ago, it wasn't unusual to respond with 1 person on the truck with a total of 3 out of 2 stations. There are still departments that still do because of financial considerations. You just seem intent on not giving credit to positive steps even if they are small. My questions to you is, what do you want to see either via the County or the Sheriff? Can we agree that no matter who manages it that it will take money to do what you believe needs to be done?

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
@Bob Wells wrote;
My questions to you is, what do you want to see either via the County or the Sheriff? Can we agree that no matter who manages it that it will take money to do what you believe needs to be done?

Obviously the County isn't doing a very good job or we wouldn't be having this conversation and Bobby Martin wouldn't be running all over the County with a video camera, making the County look a fool videoing all his "recent" good works that should have happened eons ago and I won't even mention the press who was at Station 12 just today, with video cameras rolling so Bobby could pat himself on the back. I wonder if they caught any children running around the station on camera?

Yes, we absolutely agree it takes money and obviously money management is not the Counties strong suit.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
From WMBB Today.

Renovations Proposed for Walton Co. Fire Rescue Stations

With two projects already underway, Walton County Fire Rescue could be updating the rest of their fire stations. Fire Chief Bobby Martin will present a complete list to the Board of County Commissioners on Tuesday of proposed renovations to nine of its locations.

At a cost of $46,000, the Freeport station is currently getting a major renovation.

"We sprayed the entire ceiling here, and what we're doing is building bedrooms back up in here," said Martin.

Martin said when Fire Rescue absorbed the building and its services in 2015, the county also inherited the issues within it which weren't identified until last year. That included a malfunctioning air conditioner and condensation building on the ceiling and insulation.

"In doing so at the same time, we decided to bring the crews from the EMS station also over here, so we're just making a total upstairs into a rebuild," said Martin.

Paxton's location will also receive upgrades once Freeport's are complete in a few months. But they may not be the only stations on the list.

"We just went to every station and started putting out what was needed to update them to what they need to be," said Martin.

Late last year, commissioners asked Martin to compile a list of all the upgrades needed - tallying in at $73,000.

"I think the discussion will be certainly where do we get that money, but also assessing on hierarchy of how do we position stuff as far as projects that need to completed," said Louis Svehla, the Public Information Manager for the county.

When looking at the list of proposals, Martin said a lot of the issues aren't serious.

"A lot of it is going to be cosmetic," said Martin. "I don't know of any that was caused by health issues. I think if it was continued to not be taken care of like this station here, it could have possibly turned into a health issue."

The county said it is feasible to pull additional funds from other accounts to complete those renovations, but the Board will have the final say.

This was triggered with a discussion about moving Walton County Fire Rescue under the jurisdiction of the Sheriff's Office. That is also on the agenda for Tuesday. Commissioners will give direction on the draft RFQ for the feasibility study.

www.mypanhandle.com/news/renovations-proposed-for-walton-co-fire-rescue-stations/637822794

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
@Bob Wells wrote;

Obviously the County isn't doing a very good job or we wouldn't be having this conversation and Bobby Martin wouldn't be running all over the County with a video camera, making the County look a fool videoing all his "recent" good works that should have happened eons ago and I won't even mention the press who was at Station 12 just today, with video cameras rolling so Bobby could pat himself on the back. I wonder if they caught any children running around the station on camera?

Yes, we absolutely agree it takes money and obviously money management is not the Counties strong suit.

So the current Fire Chief is making videos? That would be public record. Maybe we can get that posted here?