• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

brother bombero

Beach Comber
Jul 21, 2008
Again, I know nothing about these guys accept when I ran into them while running for office myself. Sad to say, but I am not even that sure who is running in these races in November. Can someone post information on the candidates?
Here is some information on why the firefighters are supporting Scott Thurston & Jon Kazek for Fire Commissioner. I got this from the front page of thier website:

Why we endorse Dr. Scott Thurston for South Walton Fire Commission, Seat 3:
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Dr. Thurston has invested in the community as a home and business owner of South Walton. Wanting to increase his involvement in the community, He has a sound knowledge of South Walton Fire District. His intentions for the taxpayer's money are both responsible and efficient to maintian high quality service to the citizens of South Walton. [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]He also understands how important minimum staffing issues are to a fire department as well as proper and updated equipment. Dr. Thurston also believes that collective bargaining is necessary because the process demands that the parties justify what they are asking for. As a medical professional, he has been treating firefighter and paramedic injuries and understands the hazards associated with this line of work. Dr. Thurston approached the firefighters in support of his goal to help improve the community of South Walton through participation as a SWFD Fireboard member.
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]

Why we endorse Jon Kazek for South Walton Fire Commission, Seat 5 :[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Jon Kazek has invested in this community not only as a citizen, but a business owner. He has received an SWFD Life Saving Award, and has been a friend to our firefighters for quite some time. He has donated a house in South Walton for SWFD to use for a training burn. To see what we encountered every time we entered a burning structure, we suited up and made entry into the burning house. He has a sound knowledge of South Walton Fire District. He also understands how important minimum staffing issues are to a fire department as well as proper and updated equipment. [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Jon also believes that collective bargaining is necessary because the process demands that the parties justify what they are asking for. Mr. Kazek approached the firefighters because he wanted to become more involved in the community.[/FONT]

30-A rider

Beach Crab
Dec 17, 2007
Scott Thurston: Candidate for South Walton Fire Commissioner, Seat #3

A few citizens of South Walton probably wonder exactly what a fire commissioner does, and why that role is important to the citizens, the Fire District, and the firefighters. One of the fire commissioner’s major responsibilities is to establish and maintain the budget set forth by the tax payers of the Fire District. If you are a tax payer in South Walton, please pay attention as you have been given the task of electing the most reliable person to take on this role.

My name is Scott Thurston and I am running for South Walton Fire Commissioner, Seat 3. I am the sole proprietor of 30-A Chiropractic and I know what it means to have the responsibility of maintaining a budget and working diligently to continuously improve the “status quo.” I am originally from New Jersey, and I personally witnessed the tragic events of 9/11, as well as the grim aftermath that followed for several months. Without sounding clich?, it was at that point that I realized I wanted to be involved in some capacity with the heroes that were running into those burning buildings, risking their lives in the service of their fellow man. My brother is a firefighter, my brother-in-law is police officer, and I have several other family members and close friends that serve our country in the Military. It has been my personal experience with, and my appreciation of those who risk their lives for others that has fueled my pursuit to represent and serve the citizens of South Walton, the Fire District, and the firefighters as South Walton Fire Commissioner.

In search of a better quality of life, I moved to Santa Rosa Beach about six years ago. In 2004, I opened my own practice along 30-A. Since then, my entire family has since moved down to this area. Through my business, I have had the pleasure of meeting many people in the community, some of them firefighters, who have expressed to me concern that their needs were not being met or they had no one with whom they could express these needs. They have also expressed concerns over the lack of equipment needed to perform basic job requirements to keep the community safe. I have met with many citizens who seemed concerned that their hard earned taxes were not being utilized effectively. My intention is to never raise taxes. With that being said, there is a balance that must be maintained. Since there is no price that can be assigned to the lives of citizens of South Walton and their firefighters, responsible taxing, at times, is necessary however, ONLY after “cutting the fat” and eliminating wasteful spending. I believe that the Fire Commissioner needs to be not only available to hear, but ready and willing to listen and act on behalf of the citizens and the firefighters of South Walton.
Since I’ve lived here and throughout my campaign, there have been three common concerns I have been heard from citizens. They are as follows:

• Compensation for the position of South Walton Fire Commissioner This position is not a volunteer position, it is an elected position. Compensation should be given for work in order to achieve quality measurable results. However, by the same token, as with any job, if you do not show up, you shouldn’t get paid! I have heard many complaints regarding the attendance record of some of those you have elected.
  • My stance on the firefighter unions’ support for my campaign As far as my endorsement by the firefighter union is concerned let me set the record straight, I am not Pro-Union, period. However, I am Pro-Firefighter, Paramedic, and Police Officer. There is a difference between a Private Sector Union (UAW) who doesn’t account to the taxpayers for expenditures, and a Public Sector Union (Firefighters, Police Officers) who are always under public scrutiny. The firefighter union’s primary role is to protect the firefighter’s safety and well being to ensure a top quality service is provided to you, the citizen. The Fire District must maintain fiscal responsibility by costing and justifying the aspects of the service that are funded by taxpayer dollars, and those who maintain that transparency and accountability, the Fire Commissioners, are elected by you, the voter. My negative opinion of unions does not waiver my respect and full support of Firefighters, EMTs / Paramedics, Law Enforcement Officers, and our Military. I am supported by the firefighters, who are the very men and women who keep you safe. Help me support those who protect you and your family by electing me South Walton Fire Commissioner, Seat 3.
  • Fire Commissioner accessibility and the willingness to listen & act As a Fire Commissioner Candidate, I have been, and will listen to the numerous concerned citizens and firefighters that feel they are not being heard. Make no mistake your concerns have not fallen on deaf ears… I AM LISTENING! And I will not only continue to listen, but act responsibly, because that is what I would expect of any elected official.
I have conviction to represent the truth regarding my views and standards. I am aware that they may not be shared by some; however, I refuse to practice dishonest politics by telling the citizens what they want to hear, only to gain their vote. I always encourage open lines of communication, and invite anyone that wishes to discuss my platform or stance on these positions further to please contact me at
850-622-2313. I am confident in my ability to serve as Fire Commissioner, and thank you in advance for your vote this Election, November 4th, 2008.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Scot
I appreciate your post and hope that it will be helpful to the voters.

Jon Kazek

Beach Crab
Oct 9, 2008
Jon Kazek: Candidate for South Walton Fire Commissioner, Seat #5

My name is Jon Kazek and I am running for South Walton Fire Commissioner, Seat 5. I am the co-owner of Dixon-Kazek Construction Inc. located right here in Miramar Beach. This year will mark eleven years since my wife Anne and I moved to the beautiful beaches of South Walton. Since the day we arrived, we knew that this would be our home for a long time. With that in mind, we decided to establish roots in our community. We have worked very hard to establish our own small businesses and help in the community whenever possible. Through my business I have been extremely fortunate to have worked with many people in the county both on a social and business level. What I found is that most residents have no idea that there is a fire commission board or what they do. I asked myself why no one knows who these elected officials are or what they do. What these officials do is essential to the community not only from a safety standpoint but from a fiscal one as well. One of the biggest responsibilities of the commission is to establish and maintain a budget for the South Walton Fire District. This is important for two reasons. First, it affects the tax payers who are truly concerned with where their dollar is being spent. Second, it relates to the biggest issue of safety for not only the public but also for the men and women who ride the fire trucks and ambulances each day in response to the public’s calls. It’s easy to sit back and criticize the actions of this commission, but what is more difficult is to get involved and help make a difference that benefits society as a whole. My family and I, as small business owners in Walton County, never want to hear the dreaded words of “raise taxes.” But, as a possible elected official, I also don’t want to mislead the public either. I believe that there is a balance that needs to be maintained between an acceptable level of safety and necessary budgetary requirements. This is no easy task by any means because in the end it all revolves around saving lives.

Throughout my campaign I have met so many new people and it seems as though I keep getting asked the same questions, so I will try and answer a few of the most common questions.

1.) Were you a firefighter and what experiences can you bring to the table?
No I was never a firefighter but I did work for a police department before moving to Florida. My relationship with the South Walton Fire District goes back a great many years to when my father and I started building houses. We donated a house to the District and they conducted a training fire all day on the development and invited other stations and cities to join in. It’s at this time that I realized how essential it is to have these emergency personnel on duty. I say that because during that training fire I suited up and went into the fire in firefighting gear for the first time. That experience gave me great insight to what these folks face every day when that emergency call comes in.

Some years later I was given the lifesaving award from the chief at that time for saving a person’s life while on a golf course with a friend of mine. What seemed like three hours to me was really just minutes until I heard that great wail of a siren as South Walton Fire District rolled onto the scene and took over care of the patient. To this day Ed Britton is living a healthy life and that is an experience that I will carry with me for the rest of my life.

Finally my current position today as co-owner of Dixon-Kazek puts me in charge of many million plus dollar budgets, as well as insurance issues and ongoing banking concerns. The responsibility of people’s money and dreams are in my hands and they rely on me for answers that are correct, timely, and in their budget. These are people from all walks of life who have entrusted me and my company to deliver what they expect and it is one that I do not take lightly. I truly believe that I hold the experience needed to be a good fire commissioner.

2.) Will you, like other elected officials, disappear or will you be available to hear our concerns?
I am not going anywhere. I live in this community, I work in this community and my family is tied to this community. If concerns exist, whether from individuals or interest groups, I invite those persons to call me or stop by and express those concerns. I will always make myself available to those people who put me in office, that’s part of the job!!

3.) Will you if elected play an active role in the commission and show up to the meetings and truly represent the people of South Walton?
I am truly excited to be a candidate and possibly an elected official. I think that the South Walton Fire District does a great job and to be involved with that group and elected would be an honor. Part of the job is to be present at functions of the commission in order to keep up with the issues that are constantly changing. One of my greatest assets is my constant attention to detail and organization. The best way to utilize these assets is by being informed on a regular basis and always having accurate and current information in order to make good sound decisions.

In conclusion, there are only two avenues of emergency service in South Walton, the sheriffs department which handles the job of law enforcement and the South Walton Fire District which handles everything else. Both branches are equally important in order for the county to run effectively and safely, which is the ultimate goal. The job of Fire Commissioner is one that should not be taken lightly. I am confident in my ability to serve as Fire Commissioners and thank you for your support in advance. With that said I am asking for your vote on November 4, 2008.

Thank you and God bless

Jon Kazek
Candidate for South Walton Fire Commissioner Seat #5

Slick Rick

Beach Comber
Oct 9, 2008
IP: So what do you think about the people that the firefighters are backing? What are you going to do if all four people that are running say they may or may not up your taxes?

I like the two new guys. I have had a chance to talk to all four and go to some fire board mettings. We need to change up the board.

grumpyfish

Beach Comber
Aug 25, 2008
I attended the Walton GOP forum the other night and came across some interesting information. In order to confirm, I contacted the Supervisor of elections office. Jack Abbit, the current fire commissioner, up until a couple of months ago, was registered Democrat. He just recently changed his registration to Republican. You decide if that had anything to do with seeking the GOP endorsement (which he did not get). :clap:Regardless, I think that's shady. Maybe the fact that some aren't happy with the increased millage rate is directly attributed to the "spending" of some of the current commissioners. I spoke to one of the fire chiefs and found out that in lieu of hose and other essential gear to fight condo fires, flat screen tvs were purchased and installed in the admin offices. :yikes:I read Mr. Abbit's bio. He can't talk enough about himself, but when I spoke with him, he couldn't boast enough about the contract "he" gave the firefighters and they love him for it. I then have one question: If he supports the firefighters like he claims, and they love him for what he has given them, then why are they supporting Scott Thurston, his opponent? :dunno:That just goes to show you there is two sides to every story. Mr. Abbit has shown us how honest he is,:rotfl: lets give Mr. Thurston a shot.

Last edited:

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
Wow - Mr Tax and spend didn'( get the GOP endorsement. Who would have thought that. When was this forun? I saw nothing about it in the local fish wrapper (shock).

You seem to have some insight into the SWFD operations. Can you share some insight on the new position created by Mr Tax and Spend and the other Board members concerning the need in the current financial storm to add a new 98,000 per year Training Chief. Is it an expenditure that is necessary to maintain the safety of Walton County citizens ?

How about the 600,000 write off of bad receivables from EMS billing from 2001 to 2005? Why did that receivable stay on their books for 7 years.

Is someone asleep at the helm? Maybe if their meetings lasted just afew minutes longer they would be on top of the issues.

I say throw both Ed Wright and Jack Abbit out.

I am voting for Thurston and Kazek and I encourage everone to realize that this is just like Fannie and Freddie just a little smaller.

Last edited:

grumpyfish

Beach Comber
Aug 25, 2008
Wow - Mr Tax and spend didn'( get the GOP endorsement. Who would have thought that. When was this forun? I saw nothing about it in the local fish wrapper (shock).

You seem to have some insight into the SWFD operations. Can you share some insight on the new position created by Mr Tax and Spend and the other Board members concerning the need in the current financial storm to add a new 98,000 per year Training Chief. Is it an expenditure that is necessary to maintain the safety of Walton County citizens ?

How about the 600,000 write off of bad receivables from EMS billing from 2001 to 2005? Why did that receivable stay on their books for 7 years.

Is someone asleep at the helm? Maybe if their meetings lasted just afew minutes longer they would be on top of the issues.

I say throw both Ed Wright and Jack Abbit out.

I am voting for Thurston and Kazek and I encourage everone to realize that this is just like Fannie and Freddie just a little smaller.
As far as SWFD operations, insight is not what I have. I know a few firemen through my day-to-day encounters, I talk to them. I also make it a priority to talk to candidates, SWFD officials, and others who can provide sound information. Simply put, I just do my homework. The GOP forum was the evening of September 29th at the headquarters. I will say that a Training Chief, if the title implies the job, is very necessary. Also, I do understand the concept that the better trained these firefighters are the safer I am as a citizen. Training is important. Everything else in South Walton is top-notch, why shouldn't the fire department? I'm with Thurston and Kazek, on that. Public Safety is no where to cut, unless it is wasteful spending. As far as ousting Abbit & Wright, I'm with you. Vote Thurston & Kazek. They seem more aligned with what we need in South Walton.

Polish Lover

Beach Comber
Aug 18, 2008
Why do those fireman wear those stupid lookin yellow golf shirts? How about wearing some good ol fashion blue t-shirts like all the other fireman wear. It scares me when they show up cause I think I have missed my tee time at the golf course. God Bless America