• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Maybe it would help if you did some checking before spouting off.
I called Bob Hudson and asked him the same question you pose. He was quite straightforward with his answers as he always is.
FYI, he is not in favor of increasing the number of commissioners. He was appointed to replace the Commissioner who said he lived in the area and did not. The vote on increasing the Commission to five members was 2 to 1. I'll let you guess who the descenting vote was.
May I suggest you attend the meeting at 9:30 A.M. on the 15th and express your now informed opinion.

I'm glad to hear that he is not in favor of increasing the number of commissioners, but he doesn't have a problem with them getting 72% of their family health being paid for?

Why do we need a seperate district? The North Walton Mosquito Control is run by the County. Would it be possible to disband the SWMCD all together, and roll it into the County's?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Why do we need a seperate district? The North Walton Mosquito Control is run by the County. Would it be possible to disband the SWMCD all together, and roll it into the County's?

We don't need a separate district. However, most likely, the only way to eliminate them is put it on the ballot and vote.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I'm glad to hear that he is not in favor of increasing the number of commissioners, but he doesn't have a problem with them getting 72% of their family health being paid for?

I couldn't agree more. I think this proposal will probably be made by someone at the Dec. 15th meeting. SJ is right. It needs to be put on the ballot. How do we do that?

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
What you can do to help - where I stand

I have followed this thread carefully since it originally began. I want to be on the record here (already in the official minutes of SWMCD) on certain key issues being discussed.

1. I oppose the expansion of the Board from 3 to 5 and have voted against the expansion on every occasion since my appointment. Vote 2-1

2. I opposed the expansion of the retirement contributions from 9.6% to 16% for Commissioners. Vote 2-1

3. During the public budget workshops for the 2010 budget I proposed a reduction in the % of contributions toward family medical in a phased in approach over a three year period until it matched the BCC subsidy for family medical coverage - (died for lack of second).

4. SWMCD meeting are held on the third Tuesday of each month at the 393 North office in Santa Rosa Beach. The public is always welcome and encouraged to attend.

The attached link is to a 11 minute video produced by the FL Keys Independent Mosquito Control District that gives an overview of those things that an independent district's mission is how they accomplish that mission and how you as an individual can help in eliminating the source of breeding grounds.

Viddler.com - FL Keys Homeowners Guide to Mosquito Control - Uploaded by FLKeysMosquito@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.viddler.com/player/ff1ecc0d/@@AMEPARAM@@ff1ecc0d/

Last edited:

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Thank you Bob for your reply. What is your opinion on the question of whether or not the SWMCD is needed? Is it something that can be accomplished under the County as they already do in north Walton?

Based on your summary, it doesn't sound like we need two more commissioners; it sounds like we need two new ones.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Thank you Bob for your reply. What is your opinion on the question of whether or not the SWMCD is needed? Is it something that can be accomplished under the County as they already do in north Walton?

Based on your summary, it doesn't sound like we need two more commissioners; it sounds like we need two new ones.

This issue may be a item I will vote on tomorrow so I believe that I must wait until the meeting tomorrow. I must be careful to not us this forum as a means of violating the Fla Sunshine Law. Some users are "anonymous" to me and I do not want to be accused of utilizing this forum as a means of discussing a pending item with a fellow commissioner.

Hope you understand.

Last edited:

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
This issue may be a item I will vote on tomorrow so I believe that I must wait until the meeting tomorrow. I must be careful to not us this forum as a means of violating the Fla Sunshine Law. Some users are "anonymous" to me and I do not want to be accused of utilizing this forum as a means of discussing a pending item with a fellow commissioner.

Hope you understand.

I completely understand, and appreciate you being thorough and honest. I will wait to read the minutes from tomorrow's meeting.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Although, North Walton does have there own Mosquito Control, I can assure you they don't cover the area near as well as SWMCD does. I live in Freeport and I would bet I do no see them but maybe once a week during the spring and summer. This is not a slam on the service they provide, they are covering a lot more area and with fewer folks based on the number of vehicles I have seen in their lot. I also don't know whether they have mosquito ditches to maintain. I also own property in SoWal so I also have a vested interest in the SWMCD and feel as though they provide a valuable service. I am also little peeved that people think we should have politicians work for free. Are they paid excessively? I don't know, I think their worth is in the eye of the beholder and based on comments here, no Government Employee is worth what their paid. When the arguement was made about the County Commissioners having fully paid family health insurance, my issue was that not that they had it but why the rest of the Public Servants also did not recieve it. There is also a complaint of the SWMCD board recieving retirement benefits for the little work they perform, well the County Commissioners are also having payments made to FRS, and thier positions are considered part time. My point, you may think this operation is not being efficiently run, whether they have 3 or five commissioners, they are being compensated to much for the work they perform, but is it performing the task it has been elected to do. In the end you get what you pay for.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I may have missed this, but will someone please tell me why these are elected positions? Why don't we just have a county "mosquito department", with a boss and employees? :dunno: