• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I don't remember how much it costed to change the signs. I seem to recall the original signs, which nobody liked, and nobody thought were necessary, costed way too much.

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
The blue signs were planned and implemented before Dawn's tenure. I think Kris Titus was director when they were planned and Sonny Mares was director when they were removed and repainted. $70k for each sign is incorrect - maybe you are thinking of the total cost to remove them, paint them, and re-install. I don't remember the exact figure but it was large.

http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php/19590-photos-new-blue-signs-on-scenic-30A-1-26-08

http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php/19049-New-big-blue-signs-in-SoWal

http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php/20730-Opposed-to-the-Big-Blue-Signs-Get-Involved!

http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php/28253-Scenic-Highway-30A-signage-update

http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php/54154-Monster-Blue-Signs-Are-Now-Black

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Somebody refresh my memory. How much did it cost to change the logo and signs? How much did that stupid song cost? How much did the Emeril deal cost? And tell me why we need a TDC in the first place. Most of the out of state vacationers I know don't know or give a rat's rear end what county they're in.

The search function works pretty well. I say that to help, not criticize. It's helpful when you want to check your facts or learn more. It's also helpful when you find something interesting and you want to let others know, or re-kindle a discussion.

http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php/62825-Emeril-s-Florida-to-feature-South-Walton-in-2013

4. The Following is the payable schedule for the agreement. MAT MEDIA, LLC is assigning the collections and receipt of payments to VISIT FLORIDA at 2540 W. Executive Center Circle, Suite 200 Tallahassee, FL 32301. VISIT FLORIDA will match the TDC payments up to $150,000.
The Invoices will be provided by MAT MEDIA, LLC and paid to VISIT FLORIDA at 2540 W. Executive Center Circle, Suite 200 Tallahassee, FL 32301.
a. $37,500: Payment due upon signing of the agreement.
b. $37,500: Due upon completion of the on location production of the exclusive episode.
c. $37,500: Due upon the completion of the final edited episode and the delivery of two vignettes to the TDC.
d. $37,500: Due upon the airing of the original exclusive episode in the first quarter of 2013.

Remember that the county got tons of BP money and it came with stipulations on how it had to be spent.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Last edited:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I realized my figure of $70,000 was probably wrong, and I edited it. I remember the figure was staggeringly high. It seems like the amount for all the signs was around $250,000. I could be wrong , and Kurt pointing out that Dawn wasn't on board, while fair, really points out that the criticisms of the TDC are probably more about the entire structure and lack of two way communication with the public, rather than one personality.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
The signs are up; the song and the TV show are paid for. Lets talk about how the TDC money should be used to benefit everyone. To those who say we do not need a TDC, you may be right, but be careful. The bed tax can be used to enhance tourism and the way of life in South Walton. If we scream too loudly that we do not need a TDC, those paying the bed tax will argue to eliminate it. At that point we give up external dollars that can build a better community for us all. Big mistake.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Very good thoughts. Most of the resentments seem to stem from a simple lack of communication and feedback from the community. We may have the tools in place to help that aspect of the TDC. "All Things TDC" could be a separate forum, right here on Sowal on which a recognized person from the TDC just chats about what we all want...I think what we all want is just a little more input in the decisions about how we are being presented and in what ways this entity, The TDC, has moved from promoting this area to developing this area into something most of us don't necessarily want.

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The signs are up; the song and the TV show are paid for. Lets talk about how the TDC money should be used to benefit everyone. To those who say we do not need a TDC, you may be right, but be careful. The bed tax can be used to enhance tourism and the way of life in South Walton. If we scream too loudly that we do not need a TDC, those paying the bed tax will argue to eliminate it. At that point we give up external dollars that can build a better community for us all. Big mistake.

It's all about balance- first recognizing and agreeing that we need a good balance of quality of life for both tourists and residents, and actually making that balance a reality.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Very good thoughts. Most of the resentments seem to stem from a simple lack of communication and feedback from the community. We may have the tools in place to help that aspect of the TDC. "All Things TDC" could be a separate forum, right here on Sowal on which a recognized person from the TDC just chats about what we all want...I think what we all want is just a little more input in the decisions about how we are being presented and in what ways this entity, The TDC, has moved from promoting this area to developing this area into something most of us don't necessarily want.
So if there is more input into the decision making and the decision doesn't suit your view does that make the decision wrong. Personally I don't necessarily think that the views represented on these boards represent a majority opinion. I do think it gives us the opportunity to participate by throwing out ideas with solutions that maybe those that get to make the decisions can look at and consider. In the end there are folks paid to make decisions and it is their responsibility to make it. To much input can bog the process and create barricades to making decisions. Just my opinion.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Trust me, I agree with "too much input can bog the process" ( I'm all for a "30-A Czar" who can simply drive down 30-A and fix all the ugliness and disarray ) but I'm not in agreement that a whole lot of input was requested in a lot of the projects the TDC has initiated. I have no idea that Sowal is an accurate indicator of the consensus views on these issues. I don't feel there are any adequate channels of feedback other than Sowal. We are unique in that we are rather removed from local television, we have very modest newspapers, and yet we have a robust interactive community because of this forum. Again, I don't think this animosity towards the TDC is any more than a criticism that the structure of it is not very democratic, and yet impacts residents in a far less favorable fashion than tourists. Are the "slings and arrows" that Ms. Moliterno has been subjected to, coming solely from Sowal? or from the community in general? or from DeFuniak?