• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
This afternoon, June 24th, A Better South Walton will hold a special event. You are invited to"Ask the Consultant" which will provide a chance for you to ask questions directly to Joe Mazurkiewicz of BJM Consulting, Inc. He is in the process of developing a feasibility study for the A Better South Walton community initiative. This initiative will explore the options, including incorporation, that are available to us to have more input into the decisions being made on our behalf. A feasibility study is required as a part of this process to assess our options

Please join us @ 4:30 on June 24th, at 70 Logan Lane for this unique event and bring your questions. We look forward to seeing you & learning from your questions. RSVP to jjwinart@mchsi.com.

Jacquee Markel, A Better South Walton

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Feasibility Study will be complete in August providing the South Walton community a wide arrary of information for a complete snapshot of numbers and info to help determine future needs and possibilities, including possible incorporation. Learn more at http://www.abettersouthwalton.com/. Sign up for the newsletter to stay informed, volunteer your time and talents, donate, get involved!

11050666_10207507173261712_3575939984752699949_n.jpg

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
I haven't heard much talk lately about a City of "South Walton". Any news?

It came to mind as I saw an article about the meeting of Pince De Leon City Council and I thought to myself, self? Ponce De Leon has a CITY GOVERNMENT!? Dang fo they even have a stoplight? Google says 501 people live there. I guess WalCo is fine with it.

And yet SoWal City? No way! Must be all about the money and control and development.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake

It came to mind as I saw an article about the meeting of Pince De Leon City Council and I thought to myself, self? Ponce De Leon has a CITY GOVERNMENT!? Dang fo they even have a stoplight? Google says 501 people live there. I guess WalCo is fine with it.

And yet SoWal City? No way! Must be all about the money and control and development.
There was a fairly strong effort to incorporate South Walton years ago. There were three huge hurdles: The spread-out nature of SoWal, the absentee ownership of much of the land, and the biggest hurdle was that in order to get the process officially started to even have a referendum vote on it, our state legislative representative would have to sponsor it. Our representative was Brad Drake, at that time, and he refused to sponsor it.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007

I'll make this simple. Look at the incorporation dates of some of our local municipalities and cross reference those to major "social issues" of the time.

Sorry for the word dance, trying to keep this so it's viewable in a Florida public school.

bob1

Beach Fanatic
Jun 26, 2010
I always assumed it was about the county government wanting control. Specifically of money. Development. I've watched our climate change from pro environment to pro development. And the takeover of the TDC more of the same.

bob1

Beach Fanatic
Jun 26, 2010
Y
Takeover of the TDC?
They pushed out the professionals, took over the board, then made it a county department with yes man in charge. At the same time, adding NoWal tourism in to the mix to spend tourism tax money up there.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Y

They pushed out the professionals, took over the board, then made it a county department with yes man in charge. At the same time, adding NoWal tourism in to the mix to spend tourism tax money up there.
NoWal! Where "Traffic" beats out "Poorly Maintained" ...

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 06-30-34 North Walton Branding Study - North_Walton_Branding_Study43....png