• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Paula said:
Thanks for the advice on chiggers in October. I've heard they get in your food and drink, too, and are especially active at Grayton Beach during sunset and they look for people with SoWal stickers on their cars (I think they're drawn to bold black and white patterns).

I've also heard about aliens visiting SoWal in October, but that one's probably just a myth (like the one about the 4500 pound alligator in New Orleans). What's most interesting about the alien stories is that the aliens tend to go after people who have the most postings on discussion groups. :lol:

hee hee hee

I think they only go after people who PARK their cars ON the beach!!!!

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Sueshore said:
hee hee hee

I think they only go after people who PARK their cars ON the beach!!!!

Or people who get in the dunes!

Seriously, be careful to stay out of the dune areas because that is where the concentration of chiggers would be the greatest (more prevalent in October but not unheard of in other months).

A preventative remedy would be to dust your legs with dusting sulfur to keep them from crawling up. :blink: And watch out for the tight areas of those thong lines. They love to burrow into places like that! :blush:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Rita said:
Or people who get in the dunes!

Seriously, be careful to stay out of the dune areas because that is where the concentration of chiggers would be the greatest (more prevalent in October but not unheard of in other months).

A preventative remedy would be to dust your legs with dusting sulfur to keep them from crawling up. :blink: And watch out for the tight areas of those thong lines. They love to burrow into places like that! :blush:

Thank you...you are so correct!!! Vinegar and dusting sulfur are both on my packing list...ah, I love the smell of toxic fumes during October in SoWal!!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Ahhh, so far the SoWal perfume is a pleasant well-balanced mix of windex, and meat tenderizer (for jelly fish bites), vinegar (for biting flies), and sulfer (for chiggers). What shall this lovely brew be called?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Paula said:
Ahhh, so far the SoWal perfume is a pleasant well-balanced mix of windex, and meat tenderizer (for jelly fish bites), vinegar (for biting flies), and sulfer (for chiggers). What shall this lovely brew be called?

Misery de October....a whiff of SoWal!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Paula said:

Embalming fluid? :lol:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Well, no one has mentioned embalming fluid for anything that ails people in SoWal in October, so it can't be added to our secret formula yet. So far, I think all the October misfortunes are temporary and curable, as long as people are willing to smell pretty bad while the cure works. Oh, and for the secret formula, I think SJ adds Eucaliptus (sp?) oil as well. Maybe we can add some vicks vapor rub in case any one gets a cold as well.

newyorker

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
re jelly fish stings--I've used meat tenderizer (the plain stuff, please!) for years--I keep a bottle in my beach bag. Someone (biologist friend) told me the stuff in the tenderizer is intended to break down proteins, and jelly fish stuff on your skin has proteins. Whatever the biochemistry, we've found it works well. The last thing I want on a sore sting is the ammonia that would be in Windex (not to mention if the bottle leaks, you have a mess on your hands.)

bluemtnfriend

Beach Lover
Aug 18, 2005
Tennessee
jdarg said:
What is the remedy for chiggers????? :dunno:
Take a bottle of rubbing alcohol, add 12 aspirins, and a block of camphor.
Shake it up and dab on chigger bites. Wait 2 weeks and they will quit itching!

This remedy was recommended by a local druggist, but it really didn't help me when I had 96 bites on my legs and ankles and 67 bites on my neck and right arm. It sure was a great blackberry pie but if I ever get that many chiggers again just knock me in the head and send me to Jesus.