• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
It happens to the best of us. :D

I have no personal interest in pumping the stock I just think it's a great time to buy the stock. I do think that JOE stock is the best indicator out there for anyone who actually owns land in SoWal of what the value of your asset is (I'm still dreaming of the day when I can say I own a piece of paradise) :D

As for JOE's stock price, I don't know of a single place in the US that has as good a barometer of the value of land than JOE is for Nwest Florida. It's holdings are a great cross-section of rural, resort and forestry and it trades much more liquid than the underlying land.

This is just my humble opinion but JOE stock falling from a peak trading range of $70-80 per share to a more recent trading range of $30-40 per share is as good a reflection as you'll find anywhere of where prices are likely to bottom for land in Nwest Florida.

In other words, land will have fallen about 50% from the peak when prices have bottomed. JOE stock got to the bottom quicker and will also reflect the slow climb back faster than the land itself.

My $.02

Thanks. Your thoughts are pretty much what I was thinking when I got it. I do not have much money to play with, so I tend to wait a long time, buy something, hold it until it doubles then sell half and do it again. Been doing that for about 10 years now and so far it has worked. I started with a chip maker called IDTi and now I have Microsoft, Prepaid Legal, and St. Joe. I looking for one more.

If JOE does not manufacture anything and sells the only product it owns (land) how will its stock ever be worth more than it is today? The way I understand it the value of its stock should continue to decrease until it closes shop.

Wouldn't someone looking for a valuation on JOE simply calculate the value of its total land and divide it into the total shares of stock?

YoungFT

Beach Lover
Aug 1, 2006
Great question. When JOE sells off the land anything not used to pay expenses will stay on the balance sheet, be re-invested somewhere or paid back to the shareholders in the form of dividends or stock buy backs.

Re-investments can be through joint ventures or operating companies managing resort properties, as an example.

When the market comes back to life, and JOE is able to start selling it's assets, how JOE decides to steward that capital (dividends, reinvestments, buybacks, etc.) will be another data point to re-evaluate the long-term attractiveness of the stock.

Thanks for the points. I'd love to hear what Smilin Joe, Goofer44 and TheSheep have to say about the idea. All three seem to be pretty well versed on these concepts.

I know I should be more thoughtful. I don't know why I never thought of JOE as a company who would actually try to grow their business into new areas beyond the liquidation of their holdings.

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
Thanks for the points. I'd love to hear what Smilin Joe, Goofer44 and TheSheep have to say about the idea. All three seem to be pretty well versed on these concepts.

I know I should be more thoughtful. I don't know why I never thought of JOE as a company who would actually try to grow their business into new areas beyond the liquidation of their holdings.
Expect JOE to reinvent itself as it becomes cash heavy, acquisitions such as the Arvida deal (not necessarily that direction) launched JOE into the development business bigger-time without the pangs and pains. As the years toll on, there will be regionally strong developers who have the infrastructures, market positions and raw land in areas south from most of JOE's holdings.

There is also the potential mix of placing debt and equity on properties that they have no development stake.

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com

One additional possibility. The unpermitted lands may be useful, (HABU MOF) as mitigation banks. Most JOE middle-of-somewhere land that I have seen meet the criteria i.e. they need restorative work, or complete overhauling, to return them to their original eco-viability or to a planned need (uplands protecting wetlands, buffering, seagrass/marsh enhancements yada talk talk yakkity yak I will come back. :funn:Mitigation credits are increasing in price with no relationship to land price stagnation.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Isn't there some proximity criteria to mitigation lands? I thought it had to be located within a certain distance of the environmentally encumbered piece.

I am certainly no expert, but I do not believe so. I have overheard conversations where people are buying rights to land miles away from where they are going to take the wetlands in order to get a project approved.

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
I am certainly no expert, but I do not believe so. I have overheard conversations where people are buying rights to land miles away from where they are going to take the wetlands in order to get a project approved.
Typically, you purchase mitigation credits from an established mitigation bank to offset unavoidable impacts at your development project, it is most suitable to purchase those credits from within the same geography, watershed or similar ecosystem.

If you purchase land away from your development project and mitigate/restore it, it is more costly, riskier and much more time consuming especially if the land purchased is outside of your development project geography, watershed or similar ecosystem.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
I'm no accountant but I don't believe JOE will be exchanging any of their existing property for property they don't already own.

As far as the point of view that JOE is overvalued it all comes down to the assumptions.

Is a reasonable assumption around entitled acreage really as low as $100,000 per acre? :dunno: I don't ever recall a time in the past 8 years when you could buy a full acre in any JOE community for anything close to $100K. I could be mistaken - it's been known to happen.

I also think the margin assumptions are pessimistic. When values stabilize (it will happen eventually), JOE's "adjusted" model is pretty well positioned to do better than 50% margins.

I can guarantee you this: the market will rise and fall going forward. That you can bet your house on!
by "all they want" i am referring to a portion of sales for more low basis land as they have done in the past...no taxes due