• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
beachmouse said:
IAs for Southwest, it looks like the only places with small airport they go into are airports in states where they can legally use Love Field in Dallas as a hub. Right now those states are Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Mississippi, and Alabama. So I'd guess we'd see Southwest go into Mobile before they went into any place in the FL Panhandle, unless they actually repeal the Wright Ammendment. (which limits commercial air at Love Field) Which probably won't happen anytime soon because there's too much interest in keeping American somewhat solvent right now, and they've got a giant hub at the other DFW airport.

Excellent digging beachmouse! Let me add another hell yeah on the big planes from the ATL. That would be huge.

As for Southwest, I wasn't even thinking about points ... well, out west that might want to use Love as a hub. I was really thinking about our St. Louis and Cleveland and Houston friends and even B'hamers (or would that be too short a flight?). We have had renters from all those places and can see how a direct hop from Southwest would be beneficial. I have heard of an increase in interest from Midwesterners and some direct flights on Southwest or resort-oriented low budget airlines (whichever they are, I can't keep them straight) would be great for opening up the market.

Actually, I was mostly thinking about direct flights from Tampa, but since I might be the only one on it (except maybe for Oldtimer :D ) I guess they can't add a whole airline just for me.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Good homework Beachmouse! :clap_1: Thanks for the input.
I can't see the Wright Amendment getting appealed anytime soon either. It's pretty much just serving for debate right now.

BigR

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
Nashville,TN
I for one am stoked to hear of this development. The Nashvegas to Grove By the Sea drive is a bummer to say the least. By the time this opens, however, the only carrier left standing may be Southwest. If that's the case, I would think that the fares might not be as good as you think. I've investigated some new options, such as Arrive Air, an upstart scheduled/charter outfit out of Atlanta, but the $$ still seem too high. I wish I wasn't in my late 40's. I'd get that pilots license and head off into the wild blue yonder, w/ my GPS locked in to Sowal.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
TooFarTampa said:
Actually, I was mostly thinking about direct flights from Tampa, but since I might be the only one on it (except maybe for Oldtimer :D ) I guess they can't add a whole airline just for me.

Actually I'd call Tampa one of the more likely suspects down the line because one of Continental's commuter partners picked up a bunch of the old USAir intra-Florida routes. You can get from VPS to Tampa non-stop and direct if you don't mind the wee planes. I'd guess PCB-Tampa would be likely as well if/when Continental starts service at the new airport.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Can anyone say JetBlue? As the dinosaur carriers become fossilized, new airlines with modern business plans will take over. That is a good thing.

STL Don

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
TooFarTampa said:
Excellent digging beachmouse! Let me add another hell yeah on the big planes from the ATL. That would be huge.

As for Southwest, I wasn't even thinking about points ... well, out west that might want to use Love as a hub. I was really thinking about our St. Louis and Cleveland and Houston friends and even B'hamers (or would that be too short a flight?). We have had renters from all those places and can see how a direct hop from Southwest would be beneficial. I have heard of an increase in interest from Midwesterners and some direct flights on Southwest or resort-oriented low budget airlines (whichever they are, I can't keep them straight) would be great for opening up the market.

This St. Louis friend can't wait for Southwest to have a direct flight from St. Louis to Panama City. Sure would be a pedal to the metal 12 hour drive.

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
STL Don said:
This St. Louis friend can't wait for Southwest to have a direct flight from St. Louis to Panama City. Sure would be a pedal to the metal 12 hour drive.

How about a budget resort airline like Hooters Air. Crazy concept but they are flying out of ATL to Myrtle and HHI and I'm sure will look at jumping on the panhandle whe the new PCB Int'l opens up. JetBlue, AIRTRAN, and others will look at it as well. If Delta pulls out bankrupcy, then Song might make sense too.

I would guess if it is a reasonable rate then any would do for the folks now driving 10+ hours from Ohio, Missouri, Minn, Tx and other locals. :welcome:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Getting AirTran into another airport in the Panhandle is going to cost someone. They've got huge ongoing subsidies and travel guarantees as part of the agreement when they moved from VPS to Pensacola, and would probably want something similar to go into PCB.

Hooters Air would probably be more likely, though I'm not sure how they'd fit with the attempts to gentrify PCB.

There's a daily nonstop VPS-STL flight from American Eagle, so AA might be interested in a direct PCB flight if they get sick of dealing with the military restrictions at VPS.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
wetwilly said:
How about a budget resort airline like Hooters Air. Crazy concept but they are flying out of ATL to Myrtle and HHI and I'm sure will look at jumping on the panhandle whe the new PCB Int'l opens up. JetBlue, AIRTRAN, and others will look at it as well. If Delta pulls out bankrupcy, then Song might make sense too.

I would guess if it is a reasonable rate then any would do for the folks now driving 10+ hours from Ohio, Missouri, Minn, Tx and other locals. :welcome:

Maybe Hooters Air can get together with the Girls Gone Wild guy who lives in Panty Maw Sity Beach (when not in jail), to create a Girls Gone Wild / Hooters Spring Break discount rate to PC goers.:dunno: