Stand Your Sand Day June 4

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Teresa, May 5, 2016.

1. Mike Jones

Mike Jones Beach Fanatic

It's called cutting off your nose to spite your face.

2. carson

carson Beach Fanatic

I will be selling "FREE SOWAL" T shirts at all of the main beach accesses. They are $29.99 (isn't everything on 30a?) and the proceeds go to my "Cuba Rum and Cigar Exploration Society" . I take everything but Discover.

3. Misty

Misty Banned

Kurt has more than enough "eyes" on this board that if a post needs his attention the moderators will definitely make sure he sees it.

Like Teresa said...our beaches are a tourist destination and anyone who bought property here knew that going in when they signed on the dotted line. If you want so much privacy that people aren't even free to traverse the sand, you bought property in the wrong place! Find yourselves a deserted island somewhere....according to Google there are hundreds available for sale or rent worldwide.

[​IMG]

4. BlueMtnBeachVagrant

BlueMtnBeachVagrant Beach Fanatic

Really?

5. Misty

Misty Banned

I didn't pick a winner! :)

6. BlueMtnBeachVagrant

BlueMtnBeachVagrant Beach Fanatic

It seems to me that you use a very large paint brush when portraying the current state of the beach. Sure there are a few areas where the owners have gotten carried away with ropes, chains and fences. I'm not necessarily agreeing with their actions but I can certainly understand why. BTW, the signs are necessary in some locations considering the current state of affairs.

On the other hand, you then post a beautiful aerial of the beach where I see no evidence of the above.

Is it really that bad out there or do customary use people just try to grab on to negative imagery which, in their minds, propel their cause?

7. Misty

Misty Banned

I don't think the Turtle watch folks are trying to propel their cause with negative imagery, I think they are more interested in protecting sea life and marine habitat by posting images of idiot stuff people leave on the beach. They walk those beaches everyday....you can't make this stuff up!

[​IMG]

8. Misty

Misty Banned

There is only one way to put up sand fence, the rules are plain, it is never to be used out of the dune area, or parallel to the beach or closer to 10 feet apart at an angle in sections only 7 feet long. Please check with FWCC to get the rules and also you can't put it up in sea turtle nesting season.

9. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

The disease of signs/fences/ropes is just starting to spread. We still have miles of beautiful stretches of beaches not yet infected. These are the cherished scenes of South Walton. I hope they can be preserved. If not then soon we'll have to look at vintage SoWal photos to remember what we had.

The beach chair setups are immensely preferable to unwelcome signs and fences up and down the beach. Though setups are out of control.

10. FactorFiction

FactorFiction Beach Fanatic

I believe it is 10 foot lengths no closer than 7 feet apart.
    https://www.dep.state.fl.us/beaches/publications/pdf/sndfncgl04.pdf

11. Misty

Misty Banned

12. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

So, how'd the protest go?

I bet about 8 or 9 people, including children actually showed up.

That accounts for about the same number of posters on SoWal that support the Trespass March.

13. Teresa

The Coastal Dune Lakes Day event was canceled due to weather today. Bummer! But the Stand Your Sand Walk happened! Several people walking from different spots reported in on Facebook. Dave's group stopped at Havana Beach for a rainy break and breakfast and continued for a 13 mile walk, meeting friends along the way including Surfrider members with their water stop. Dedicated people. Thank you.

The Walk has received a lot of attention, almost all positive, with much discussion about #customaryuse here and on community Facebook groups and the event page which tracked more than 450 interested in participating or supporting the idea with many thousands more views.. Elevating the issue. And that was the idea. Rain or no rain.

Gotta love this little beach town. Photo by S. Bell, fb post today.

FB_IMG_1465081883751.jpg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  14. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

A whole lot more of us were with them in spirit. Customary use will continue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Teresa

FB_IMG_1465084130260.jpg

Lots of stand your sand walk photos posted today with beautiful scenes of the beach, storm clouds, nesting birds and people out and about... And this..

FB_IMG_1465085984024.jpg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  16. MRBS

MRBS Beach Lover

no just no. advertising on beach. no no no. insult to injury. I'm so thankful for y'all who took a stand today. to see that on top of all the conundrum, wth? bud to nip, sharply.

17. MRBS

MRBS Beach Lover

I anticipate that someone might say wouldn't you rather have a sign advertising beach services rather than row of empty chairs all day? I'd rather neither. the onion has many layers. next up: pedicures on beach signs?

18. Dave Rauschkolb

Dave Rauschkolb Beach Fanatic

With all the lighting it was scary out there yesterday but we had an amazing day on the beach. Thanks to all who support the customary use of our beaches. We will all be eagerly watching the Walton County Commissioners next move to pass the revised beach activities ordinance that will make the beach front homeowners remove the no trespassing/private beach signs, fences and ropes. Later this year they must pass a solid, defensible customary use ordinance. We applaud their efforts but they must not waver on this. The economic well being of our economy and our image as a civil place to live and visit is at stake. Since it appears the Commissioners won't vote on the Customary use ordinance until the fall we have lot's of time to prepare for another walk on the beach on a fine, clear fall day with no lightning is in sight. FB_IMG_1465084130260.jpg

19. Dave Rauschkolb

The lightning definitely affected numbers. We had nearly 200 walkers planned to attend. When we do it again right before the County Commissioners actually vote on the Customary Use ordinance in the fall I expect we will have several hundred take the walk. Nothing like a gorgeous, dry, clear fall day for a walk on the beach with 500 of your best friends.

Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 5.36.24 AM.jpg

In the mean time I will be working with beach front homeowners and locals to keep the pressure on the Commissioners to improve the enforcement of the beach activities ordinance. Some people are being slobs and behaving badly on our beaches we all need to come together and educate anyone and everyone that we don't tolerate bad behavior or activities on our beaches.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  20. Dave Rauschkolb