• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
mf, please don't misread my statement. i have grown up in resorts and understand the importance of outside money and the benefits we all gain from it. i am not one to bite the hand that feeds me. but as chris asserts, every citizen is entitled one vote. it's really simple(to me) i agree that taxpayers have a right to know where their money is being spent, and i as i mentioned above, let their voices be heard. but, that comes with the burden of living here, or having a proxy be one's mouthpiece.

mango, when you buy stock in exxon, you can vote within exxon, i don't think they'll let you cast a vote at BP because you have an intrest in oil. yes, i lived in alexandria, i'm well aware of the taxation without representation. do you own property in the district also? if you owned two houses in maryland, would you expect to be able to vote twice?

bob, will you be my neighbor? you really got me with this one. i hope i'm perceived as a good neighbor by those who i live around. but, please tell me how my part time neighbors have been paying my way for years now. no one has paid my way except me. you haven't been sitting next to me at my accountant's office. i need some clarification please. again, i will state that i'm dismissing no one, all are welcome. i just can't grasp how homeownership entitles one to a vote.

mf

Banned
May 14, 2006
mf, please don't misread my statement. i have grown up in resorts and understand the importance of outside money and the benefits we all gain from it. i am not one to bite the hand that feeds me. but as chris asserts, every citizen is entitled one vote. it's really simple(to me) i agree that taxpayers have a right to know where their money is being spent, and i as i mentioned above, let their voices be heard. but, that comes with the burden of living here, or having a proxy be one's mouthpiece.

mango, when you buy stock in exxon, you can vote within exxon, i don't think they'll let you cast a vote at BP because you have an intrest in oil. yes, i lived in alexandria, i'm well aware of the taxation without representation. do you own property in the district also? if you owned two houses in maryland, would you expect to be able to vote twice?

bob, will you be my neighbor? you really got me with this one. i hope i'm perceived as a good neighbor by those who i live around. but, please tell me how my part time neighbors have been paying my way for years now. no one has paid my way except me. you haven't been sitting next to me at my accountant's office. i need some clarification please. again, i will state that i'm dismissing no one, all are welcome. i just can't grasp how homeownership entitles one to a vote.

i don't think anyone would be so presumptuous to say that anyone has paid YOUR way. merely that they have paid THEIR way and deserve the same rights as you and the same say in decisions about their tax dollars.

many people would like to live here full time, but for some reason the economic development here has not met the same level as the cost of living. many of the successful people who have bought second homes here may have something to offer in terms of providing vision for the future and addressing issues they have already confronted in their hometowns.

i am certainly not so proud as to suggest we don't have anything to learn from our neighbors. and it never occurred to me my neighbors felt differently. and i would not suggest that a second homeowner's contribution tax-wise is "less than" simply because they don't live here. perhaps the fact they don't live here will help bring some outside perspective.

please see: since when is a strip mall a town hall? thread

now...speaking of taxes....i've absolutely done everything i can today to procrastinate and avoid doing my accouting. :roll: hehehe! so i must stop pontificating and get back to work finally! ;-)

mf

Banned
May 14, 2006
oh! p.s. it's easy to provide opportunities for people to voice their opinions! and i'm sure people would gladly do it on their own instead of via proxy. it's 2006. we have phones and the internet :) we just have provide a vehicle and welcome that input. a method for inviting that input and feedback has not yet been provided by the county.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
People have the ability to buy numerous "luxury" items ie; cell phones, airline tickets etc. and they are all represented by some consumer group or lobbyists. When you buy stock, you have voting rights.

IMO it is just plain ole un-American for anyone paying any taxes anywhere to not have a vote (Taxation without Representation)

As far as sense of community, this site is an excellent example of that.
SJ, would you argue that just because I am not there on a daily basis, that I do not feel in tune with the community and also the needs of the full time residents?

No.

For anyone wanting representation, you do have a voice, and it is your right to be able to talk to the County Commissioner in your district regarding your issues. They do represent you whether or not you are able to vote for or against them.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
hand that feeds me. but as chris asserts, every citizen is entitled one vote. it's really simple(to me) i agree that taxpayers have a right to know where their money is being spent, and i as i mentioned above, let their voices be heard. but, that comes with the burden of living here, or having a proxy be one's mouthpiece.

I agree one vote for National Elections.
Secondly, why should I be denied a vote and forced to give a resident my proxy? :dunno: Please explain your rationale.

I do not expect BP to allow me to cast a vote because I have an interest in oil, BUT if I choose to buy BP, I now have a right to vote.

If I owned 2 homes in Maryland, I would expect to be able to vote in both municipalities in the local elections.

Last edited:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
No.

For anyone wanting representation, you do have a voice, and it is your right to be able to talk to the County Commissioner in your district regarding your issues. They do represent you whether or not you are able to vote for or against them.

I have SJ with no success, and not even a response either verbally or through electronic communications.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
John R , many of the the folks in the "silly movement" are your part time neighbors and have been paying your way for years now. Is that the kind of neighbor you want to be?

i don't think anyone would be so presumptuous to say that anyone has paid YOUR way. merely that they have paid THEIR way and deserve the same rights as you and the same say in decisions about their tax dollars....

Going back to that which Chrisv pointed out, one man, one vote. Are you guys who are for multiple voting, saying that you should be allowed to vote for the governor's race and presidential race in every state where you own property? What about if you jointly own property with another person, or group of people? Does that count for only one vote per property owned? If I own 15 parcels of land, do I get 15 votes? I think the problem with your suggestion of voting is more of a Constitutional question rather than one of local gov't.

I almost forgot, what about people who do not own property? Do they not have a voice? If you do allow them a voice, what about people who vacation here for five months out of the year, choosing to rent? Should they have more of a right to vote than the person living in another state who owns property here, but has never stepped into the state of FL?

Last edited:

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
John R, What I mean by that statement is the growing amount of costs shifting to the folks out of state taxewise. Heck, that part-time neighbor of yours may be from Lake City or Pensacola. They are your neighbors not standing on the beach everyday in SoWal, making it feel more like PC. They are the folks who are in many cases paying over 1k or more a year in school related taxes, yet their kids aren't here to overcrowd the classroom. Without SOH, your taxes would be 25-200% higher or more depending on when you settled. I would venture to say if you had a good line on a better home, and acted on it, you would join the ranks of the out of towners by resetting your tax basis. Then you would see this issue from the other side. To another poster I would say regarding voting because of tax liability, if you live in the county but rent, what makes that more fair than the guy out of area footing the government bill. Equal representation and dissent cause better public policy and compromise. That's the beauty of our system. SOH is a manifestation of locals ursurping the rights of their part time or commercial neighbors. SOH has unleased wasteful spending on the local level. It's just hightly flawed law. Dec. 15 we will here from a State study group on just this issue.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
John R, What I mean by that statement is the growing amount of costs shifting to the folks out of state taxewise. Heck, that part-time neighbor of yours may be from Lake City or Pensacola. They are your neighbors not standing on the beach everyday in SoWal, making it feel more like PC. They are the folks who are in many cases paying over 1k or more a year in school related taxes, yet their kids aren't here to overcrowd the classroom. Without SOH, your taxes would be 25-200% higher or more depending on when you settled. ...

I don't have kids, yet I pay school taxes, so that argument doesn't go too far in my book. Also, my guess is that the majority of full time residents in this area, may not be have kids in school.

Regarding the taxes being higher without the SOH, you may be right. However, if non-residents didn't own property here, the assessed value wouldn't come close to being as high, nor would the strain on infrastructure, so it would probably balance out.

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
we just have provide a vehicle and welcome that input. a method for inviting that input and feedback has not yet been provided by the county.

Every meeting is open to anyone to attend and provide input, in addition you can just call; see SJ below:

No.

[/b]

I agree one vote for National Elections.
Secondly, why should I be denied a vote and forced to give a resident my proxy? :dunno: Please explain your rationale.

I do not expect BP to allow me to cast a vote because I have an interest in oil, BUT if I choose to buy BP, I now have a right to vote.

If I owned 2 homes in Maryland, I would expect to be able to vote in both municipalities in the local elections.

In my precinct, everyone is given an identical ballot, just one. What do you suggest, having ballots pre-printed with our names, addresses, amount of property owned, etc? Again, should wealth (property ownership) determine the amount of say one has in government?

I have SJ with no success, and not even a response either verbally or through electronic communications.

Don't worry, those of us living here have the same problem...

Going back to that which Chrisv pointed out, one man, one vote. Are you guys who are for multiple voting, saying that you should be allowed to vote for the governor's race and presidential race in every state where you own property? What about if you jointly own property with another person, or group of people? Does that count for only one vote per property owned? If I own 15 parcels of land, do I get 15 votes? I think the problem with your suggestion of voting is more of a Constitutional question rather than one of local gov't.

I almost forgot, what about people who do not own property? Do they not have a voice? If you do allow them a voice, what about people who vacation here for five months out of the year, choosing to rent? Should they have more of a right to vote than the person living in another state who owns property here, but has never stepped into the state of FL?

I can't believe that anyone is REALLY suggesting what SJ argues against above, but from the posts that is exactly what is going on. Yes, many folks pay taxes here and are not residents. The area benefits greatly because of it. They can have their voices heard, donate to their cause or candidate of choice and organize to support any agenda they please. But they can only VOTE in the location of their RESIDENCE.