• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Yes, I agree. People know where Destin and Panama City Beach is because of years and years of branded advertising. The Beaches of South Walton's beauty has been that it is a realtively undiscovered paradise nestled inbetween a more well known spring break and gulf fishing vacation destination. This is very appealing to those that "discover" this beauty on their own. It is something we feel more a part of because we discovered it on our own and not with an advertising/marketing campaign. The new brand should not take away from this adventurous and special place. Part of the allure is that it is not PC or Destin! This is not about change. This is about targeting a special group of tourist, investors and businesses that feel a part of something much bigger than themselves. When you bring in people not from this area to advertise and market these resources it will lead to people that come to see what the marketing is all about and not what our special place is all about. We have a "village". Please do not turn our special place into an "event"...

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
mputnal, you are right that South Walton is nothing like Destin and PCB, yet we've been featuring the same thing they have, the beach. Part of the new branding evolution also goes into their marketing plan, showing that South Walton is much more than just the beach.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
IMO the new brand does not market this area other than the beach, "South Walton: To Each Your Beach". The use of a semi colon further defines South Walton as a Beach. Why do we need to be rebranded? This area is populated from tourist who "discovered" a quaint and shockingly beautiful resource while visiting the more well known "Spring break haven" and "fishing haven" of PCB and Destin or from "word of mouth" of other tourist visiting the area. Rental marketing has further targeted specific geographic regions. The "Beaches of South Walton" brand is not holding back tourism and investors but a poor economy certainly does. Anything that negatively affects the economy will affect tourism. The oil spill certainly affected this economy. The TDC can spend as much money as they want on marketing a new brand but it does not change the fact that we are dependent on a pollution free resource. If we want to keep our special place a "shockingly beautiful village" then we will have to defend it against negligent oil drilling corporations. I think the effort to fix this problem is misplaced...

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I can't make it to tomorrow's meeting - could someone please do me a favor and ask these questions:

1) How does stealing a dumbarse slogan from Ft. Meyers help us promote our area as unique. Fort Meyers' slogan is a "A Beach for Each." Our latest "rebrand" is "To each your beach."

2) How does "To each your Beach" show that South Walton is "more than a beach?"

3) Obviously our clean gorgeous white beaches are the major tourist draw - what is the TDC doing to ensure that resource remains our biggest asset?

4) And if you're feeling pissy - The TDC has spent years and millions advertising this area with dumb slogans that don't seem to work. When do we get a refund or change the process to something that does work?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
scooterbug, this thing seems to be important to you. Why weren't you at the meeting last week to give real input?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Because the meetings conflicted with my work schedule - and many other people's I imagine, since they are being held during the work day.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Perhaps someone who works for the TDC who is responsible for gathering/considering community input might read this type of thread? A community's online forum(s) contain a wealth of feedback on many topics. A no brainer for taking the temperature of what folks would say at a meeting if they could attend. two cents...

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Perhaps someone who works for the TDC who is responsible for gathering/considering community input might read this type of thread? A community's online forum(s) contain a wealth of feedback on many topics. A no brainer for taking the temperature of what folks would say at a meeting if they could attend. two cents...

Stay tuned. :cool: