• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Was your builder a low cost builder?

I don't know what they were considered at the time. Watch the video and you tell me. I clearly states who the builder was.

What's wrong with this picture?

From earlier comments you made, it is a deck over a roof which you stated earlier you prefer not to include in your homes. From the engineering point of view, I have no idea and shouldn't have to get a degree to know what is wrong. That isn't my job, it's the builders job to point out the problems to the potential buyer.

Also, let me add. Even in today's market, you pay a builder 10-15% or a flat fee to build a house. Coordinating subcontractors or driving past a site isn't worth that. You pay for the builders KNOWLEDGE about his profession. Otherwise, what do you need a builder for ?

Last edited:
I don't know what they were considered at the time. Watch the video and you tell me. I clearly states who the builder was.

From earlier comments you made, it is a deck over a roof which you stated earlier you prefer not to include in your homes. From the engineering point of view, I have no idea and shouldn't have to get a degree to know what is wrong. That isn't my job, it's the builders job to point out the problems to the potential buyer.

Homegirl, I know better than to argue with you:leaving:

My question was for Chickpea or another of the pencil pushers, no more hints please. These Architects were charging literally $60,000 and way beyond when they had customers like fish in a barrel. 8 months and beyond into design they would send out plans for bid and us scrubs would have to give them lists of all the reasons why their drawings were just cool works of art that would be best used to make paper airplanes.

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
Yippie,
I agree with you - a homeowner should be able to trust the professionals he trusts - if someone wants to learn and educate themselves about all of the rules, regulations and codes that govern buildings then do go ahead and do that if that pleases you but it should not be necessary.
There should be no war, racial denigration or whipped cream that allows the cherry to float through it.

Again: a competent architect will hire a competent structural engineer who will hopefully do the required inspections, take photograps and document the process and a good builder will remain vigilant at all times.
I wouldn't begin to let the Architect hire anyone for me.

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
I have learned a LONG, EXPENSIVE lesson, but I don't think anyone should have to learn the lessons I did. I still think you SHOULD be able to trust a licensed professional. If you can't do that, then you would be forced to learn all professions to make sure you are not being taken for a ride.

Incorrect as I have explained previously.

I DO agree, references, references, references, engineering and all, but I still don't think owners should have to know the builders job. Otherwise, what do we need builders for? That is NOT meant with any disrespect at all.
The HomeOwner only has to know how to hire the Overseer.

Last edited:

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Incorrect as I have explained previously.

The HomeOwner only has to know how to hire the Overseer.

TheSheep, I am getting the impression that you may be a builder. So, is it your opinion that you hold no responsibility toward the homeowner as their hired professional if the house is not built to the standards the homeowner ask for? Could you please explain what your impression of your job you are hired and being paid for entails? No disrespect intended.

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
What's wrong with this picture?

Aabsolute,
You have an obvious chip on your shoulder whether you realize it or not about Architects - you are constantly denigrating their work and clearly resent the fees some charge.

What you are saying on this thread about the architect of the home is borderline slanderous - no-one has any idea if what you are writing is true or not and the architect does not know to necessarily come onto this forum and defend themselves. You have done this in the past and it is inappropriate IMHO.

Last edited:

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
There should be no war, racial denigration or whipped cream that allows the cherry to float through it.

I wouldn't begin to let the Architect hire anyone for me.

The contract to build a house is between Owner and Builder (in many cases an architect has no say whatsoever). Many do chose to ask their Architect to suggest some Builders whereas in other cases it is a bidding situation in which Architect commits to work with whomever is awarded the contract.

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
TheSheep, I am getting the impression that you may be a builder. So, is it your opinion that you hold no responsibility toward the homeowner as their hired professional if the house is not built to the standards the homeowner ask for? Could you please explain what your impression of your job you are hired and being paid for entails? No disrespect intended.
Although I have worn the horns of the Contractor, I am not. I am a partner in a development firm in SW FL.

One of my jobs is to hire hired guns who overseer the entire ground to sticks in the air. Then I close the barn door.

So to bleat. :eek:

Aabsolute,
You have an obvious chip on your shoulder whether you realize it or not about Architects - you are constantly denigrating their work and clearly resent the fees some charge.

What you are saying on this thread about the architect of the home is borderline slanderous - no-one has any idea if what you are writing is true or not and the architect does not know to necessarily come onto this forum and defend themselves. You have done this in the past and it is inappropriate IMHO.

I don't have a chip on my shoulder against good Architects. When an Architect really knows their trade I have found myself feeling relieved to communicate with them.

If you're in the business you may have noticed that some "good" Architects have dropped their pricing from $60,000 in the bubble to $15,000 today. I don't appreciate the incestuous referrals and concept that people who chose to buy into South Walton were fish in a barrel.

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
The fundamental problem in this part of this thread is that people, those that do not crap in a barn :blink: , see the building process traditionally.

Owner hires Architect. Owner hires Builder. Owner might hire Engineer. Owner sets out the bid from the Architect's plan bleat blah baaaaaaaaaaa.

It's phorked, forget it.

Here's how it should go.

Owner interviews several engineering firms, checks references, etc etc, hires Engineer. Engineer co-interviews Architects and they, together, select one. Owner and Engineer go through pre, draft anf final plans (for bid) stage. Engineer is checking drawings, schematics, details, looking for wooly problems ahead of time.

Engineer, with Owner in background, co-selects Copntractor ona bid or cost-plus basis.

Barn gets built. Rain does not get in. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.