• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
The fundamental problem in this part of this thread is that people, those that do not crap in a barn :blink: , see the building process traditionally.

Owner hires Architect. Owner hires Builder. Owner might hire Engineer. Owner sets out the bid from the Architect's plan bleat blah baaaaaaaaaaa.

It's phorked, forget it.

Here's how it should go.

Owner interviews several engineering firms, checks references, etc etc, hires Engineer. Engineer co-interviews Architects and they, together, select one. Owner and Engineer go through pre, draft anf final plans (for bid) stage. Engineer is checking drawings, schematics, details, looking for wooly problems ahead of time.

Engineer, with Owner in background, co-selects Copntractor ona bid or cost-plus basis.

Barn gets built. Rain does not get in. ;-)

This can work beautifully if Owner does not care too much about design - BUT if they do, they should hire Architect first (with all the caveats about checking references, etc...) and then trust Architect to hire engineer, etc, etc....:blush:

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
This can work beautifully if Owner does not care too much about design - BUT if they do, they should hire Architect first (with all the caveats about checking references, etc...) and then trust Architect to hire engineer, etc, etc....:blush:
Why do people continue to engage "trust" especially in one (unqualified) person over so many different disciplines? I have yet to meet an Architect who has the wherewithal to be entrusted with this many duties.

Limit the trust to your hired gun Engineer. Put him on your hip, not out in front of any process. If you have only one decision to make, and trust doesn't enter into that one either, make it your Engineer.

Hiring your Engineer in no way interferes with the creative process with design on a custom home. MOF, it can help assure that the design is cost effective and detailed properly from the giddy-yap.

Trust is for those who either care not to engage in a professional process or who believe in the Fairies of the NorEaster.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Both a good architect AND a good builder are essential to a good finished product. A good set of plans doesn't prevent problems if built by a bad contractor, and a poor design that is well constructed is still a poor design. That's why it is so important to thoroughly research both before beginning the process of building your home. Other projects, references, lawsuits or complaints, state licensing bureaus, and prior clients are all resources that can help you find a good architect or builder (or raise red flags).

Many local architects use engineers to review/draw structural drawings, as structural consultants, and to perform inspections at certain points of construction, but an engineer spearheading the design of a house is not advisable, as that is not typically their area of expertise or training.

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
Many local architects use engineers to review/draw structural drawings, as structural consultants, and to perform inspections at certain points of construction, but an engineer spearheading the design of a house is not advisable, as that is not typically their area of expertise or training.

Agree.

Who said that was the case? :dunno:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Here's how it should go.

Owner interviews several engineering firms, checks references, etc etc, hires Engineer. Engineer co-interviews Architects and they, together, select one. Owner and Engineer go through pre, draft anf final plans (for bid) stage. Engineer is checking drawings, schematics, details, looking for wooly problems ahead of time.

Engineer, with Owner in background, co-selects Contractor on a bid or cost-plus basis.

Barn gets built. Rain does not get in. ;-)

Did I misunderstand? :dunno:

Why do people continue to engage "trust" especially in one (unqualified) person over so many different disciplines? I have yet to meet an Architect who has the wherewithal to be entrusted with this many duties.

Limit the trust to your hired gun Engineer. Put him on your hip, not out in front of any process. If you have only one decision to make, and trust doesn't enter into that one either, make it your Engineer.

Hiring your Engineer in no way interferes with the creative process with design on a custom home. MOF, it can help assure that the design is cost effective and detailed properly from the giddy-yap.

Trust is for those who either care not to engage in a professional process or who believe in the Fairies of the NorEaster.

Educate me please. What's MOF mean?

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Although I have worn the horns of the Contractor, I am not. I am a partner in a development firm in SW FL.

One of my jobs is to hire hired guns who overseer the entire ground to sticks in the air. Then I close the barn door.

So to bleat. :eek:

Have you ever built / developed anything in this area?

Status
Not open for further replies.