• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
From where do you think the term, "hanging out" originated? It is now very common and mentioned without thought, but think about it. :eek:

stephjabo

Beach Comber
Jun 18, 2006
Springfield, MO
Smiling JOe said:
From where do you think the term, "hanging out" originated? It is now very common and mentioned without thought, but think about it. :eek:
I have no idea but could take some guesses. Good one. If you tell me I'll use it with the kids I work with; that seems to be popular verbage among teens "for doing nothing I want to tell you about and don't bother asking!!!!"

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Smiling JOe said:

I thought the same as you so I just asked my daughter if "hook up" and "hang out" were the same and she said no. In this Midwestern city, it can mean anything from smooching to the leg wrangling that Merman and I stumbled upon during a moonlight walk from Seaside one night under a cloudy sky (the young lovers were very surprised to have two old codgers almost trip over their naked butts :blush:). It depends on context and who it is who is being discussed as to what exactly it means, though it never is quite as innocent as "hanging out."

I think Sueshore's onto something. It should be about catching fish!!

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Smiling JOe said:
............they need to meet them in the daytime and plan to hook up.......
The-Rules-of-Hooking-Up.jpg

Wu

Beach Comber
Mar 2, 2005
stephjabo said:
I can only hope. The best case scenario is that they exhaust themselves, walk a lot, find no females, do nothing foolish and watch a movie in the square at Seaside. I am going to be optimistic... and yes I am sure they will try to pull some stuff over on my husband and I. Can't decide if it would have been better for us to let the child go to Spring Break with a group of college kids or this with us. What you don't know, doesn't hurt you! I'll let you know afterwords... If I had only known my parent's agony.

In 1st post you lie to offspring and now you say you want to be ignorant of their actions. No wonder american youths are on path to oblivion. Please to not come to my neighborhood. :roll:

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
:dunno: Wu, seeing as there is nothing referencing where your live in your profile, how could they possibly know where your neighborhood is to come there??? Teenagers like to hang out with others their age and need things to do other than stay in a condo the whole week. When we first came to Inlet Beach and went into PC Beach along the strip my son was 19. The traffic was bumper to bumper as it was 4th of July weekend. College age kids were out on balconies all along the strip. My son would have been very content to be let out to mingle with them and us pick him up hours later I am sure. Probably would have never found him either.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Mermaid said:
I think Sueshore's onto something. It should be about catching fish!!

right, or they might be catching something else. ;-)

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Or, maybe if have done a good job of parenting, the kids will gain some life experience by not controlling everything they do, and live to enjoy another day. Today, kids are allowed to join the military and legally kill other "kids" when they are 18, but you don't want them in a bar, even if they don't drink? Interesting. I think I understand what Wu is writing about.