• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

flyforfun

Beach Fanatic
Oct 20, 2006
Birmingham, Al
I guess it all boils down to the ability of current holders of recently purchased, just-closed or soon-to-be closed "investment" condos/houses to pay out ever-increasing carry costs while waiting for the state of Florida to build its international airport (and supporting infrastructure). By the way...when are they scheduled to turn the first spade of dirt on that project??

Well Shelly here is some good investment advice for ya since you are not into real estate investing. Hope you realize that if you had purchased $1000.00 of Nortel stock one year ago, it would now be worth $49.00. With Enron, you would have had $16.50 left of the original $1000.00. With WorldCom, you would have had less than $5.00 left. If you had purchased $1000 of Delta Air Lines stock you would have about $49.00 left. But, if you had purchased $1,000.00 worth of beer one year ago, drank all the beer, then turned in the cans for the aluminum recycling REFUND, you would have had approximately $214.00.

Based on the above, the best current investment advice is to drink heavily and recycle. It's called the 401-Keg Plan and would probably make things more entertaining and less frightening when you stand outside the new airport neked with only a staw hat. :rotfl:

destinsm

Beach Lover
May 23, 2006
Well Shelly here is some good investment advice for ya since you are not into real estate investing. Hope you realize that if you had purchased $1000.00 of Nortel stock one year ago, it would now be worth $49.00. With Enron, you would have had $16.50 left of the original $1000.00. With WorldCom, you would have had less than $5.00 left. If you had purchased $1000 of Delta Air Lines stock you would have about $49.00 left. But, if you had purchased $1,000.00 worth of beer one year ago, drank all the beer, then turned in the cans for the aluminum recycling REFUND, you would have had approximately $214.00.

Based on the above, the best current investment advice is to drink heavily and recycle. It's called the 401-Keg Plan and would probably make things more entertaining and less frightening when you stand outside the new airport neked with only a staw hat. :rotfl:

What a wonderful argument you have there... pick out a couple stocks with down years and voila RE is the best investment in the world...

You know I can do the same only much worse with RE over the last year... What if you were lucky enough to buy a new townhome in Diamond Lakes (Destin) for the great new going price of $335,000 last year (down from low $400's in 05) thinking oh what a wonderful deal... and like most you put 0% down and borrowed your closing costs as well...

Today those same new townhomes have dropped futher to $280k, so you are down $55,000 plus closing costs and added into that the higher price you had paid to own and maintain that said unit over renting at half the monthly cost...

I think we can all agree that RE is a wonderful investment as well as stocks in the long run and "most" of the time...

I think Shelley is just making a simple point that overall RE is not a good investment at today's going prices (and especially yesterdays)... and his/her track record over the last couple of years on this board has shown he/she was very correct in the predictions of what the RE market was going to do..

Overall I also believe as Shelly that this market has some more room to run on the downside before the numbers work out, but only time will tell...

flyforfun

Beach Fanatic
Oct 20, 2006
Birmingham, Al
That article was produced in May 2006 and "forecasted" a 21%+ increase for the period June 2006-07. Seeing that PCB appreciation is currently in the ditch so far this year, I'd say they've pretty much missed the boat on that forecast.

A study of markets usually reveals that the best time to buy anything is yesterday! :rotfl:

Why did God create market analysts? In order to make weather forecasters look good! :rotfl:

flyforfun

Beach Fanatic
Oct 20, 2006
Birmingham, Al
What a wonderful argument you have there... pick out a couple stocks with down years and voila RE is the best investment in the world...

You know I can do the same only much worse with RE over the last year... What if you were lucky enough to buy a new townhome in Diamond Lakes (Destin) for the great new going price of $335,000 last year (down from low $400's in 05) thinking oh what a wonderful deal... and like most you put 0% down and borrowed your closing costs as well...

Today those same new townhomes have dropped futher to $280k, so you are down $55,000 plus closing costs and added into that the higher price you had paid to own and maintain that said unit over renting at half the monthly cost...

I think we can all agree that RE is a wonderful investment as well as stocks in the long run and "most" of the time...

I think Shelley is just making a simple point that overall RE is not a good investment at today's going prices (and especially yesterdays)... and his/her track record over the last couple of years on this board has shown he/she was very correct in the predictions of what the RE market was going to do..

Overall I also believe as Shelly that this market has some more room to run on the downside before the numbers work out, but only time will tell...

Just remember this:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Technical analysis is the art of drawing a crooked line from an unproved assumption to a foregone conclusion.:lolabove: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The First Law of Market Analysis: For every analysis, there exists an equal and opposite analysis. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Second Law of Market Analysis: They're both wrong! :clap_1: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
Every time one guy sells, another one buys, and they both think they're smart! :rotfl:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

Babyblue

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach

:drink:

nmosley

Beach Comber
May 9, 2006
FFF -
Greetings from your Houston Pal :roll:

No doubt about it, you are on a serious humor roll!!! Shelly, you are going to have to come up with some pretty clever little thoughts to beat this guy! It has been awhile, so I thought Id' poke my head out from under the rock and say hello to all. Hope each of you are having an excellent week and that you are well and at peace in the amazing paradise of So-Wal (be it real or in yur dreams.) Just the thought of that place can calm the insanity that besets our world.

flyforfun

Beach Fanatic
Oct 20, 2006
Birmingham, Al
:rotfl:
FFF -

No doubt about it, you are on a serious humor roll!!! Shelly, you are going to have to come up with some pretty clever little thoughts to beat this guy! It has been awhile, so I thought Id' poke my head out from under the rock and say hello to all. Hope each of you are having an excellent week and that you are well and at peace in the amazing paradise of So-Wal (be it real or in yur dreams.) Just the thought of that place can calm the insanity that besets our world.

I hear ya nmosley....I am in a good mood today. Flying down this weekend to visit paradise. Using up the second of the ten days of vacation I get every year. Have to work to get ahead from all the looses and stupid decisions I made in the stock market years ago. I will drink a few cools one's for ya and leave you with this:

The three best jobs in the world are:
1. Designated hitter for a major league baseball team.
2. Meteorologist for a television affiliate station.
3. Investment advisor.
What other jobs can you fail 70% of the time and still be considered good at your job?:rotfl:

flyforfun

Beach Fanatic
Oct 20, 2006
Birmingham, Al

Stocks are a good investment as long as you remember this simple point:

Many people invest their money in stocks till it's all gone! At least in RE, you have a piece of sand to sit on. If you predict a down market long enough, its eventually going to happen.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
FFF -

No doubt about it, you are on a serious humor roll!!! Shelly, you are going to have to come up with some pretty clever little thoughts to beat this guy!

No need...FFF is doing a pretty good job on his own.

Last edited:

destinsm

Beach Lover
May 23, 2006
Stocks are a good investment as long as you remember this simple point:

Many people invest their money in stocks till it's all gone! At least in RE, you have a piece of sand to sit on. If you predict a down market long enough, its eventually going to happen.

... and many people have invested in RE in the last couple years to now owe the bank more money than they have or will ever have... So therefore not only do they lose the potentially wonderful investment of RE as you profess but they also have the bank or government take back that pretty little sand their fanny has claimed it's own...

I have no doubts you were screaming from the rooftops about how wonderful tech stocks were in the late 90's... keep following the crowd my friend and do not pay any attentions to statistics, market history, and the factual evidence that has been presented on this board by many...